Help with Transmission removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jakegator

Reaction score
City, State
PA, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4dr ohv
Hello im in the process of removing by auto trans form an 02 sport. Ultimately the trans will be scrapped and switched with a manual. I have all the bell housing bolts out and the trans still wont come off. Tried prying, banging and ratchet straps. Ive done this once before (not the manual swap part) and i didnt have this much trouble. I did not unbolt the torque converter bolts since I figured it will be easier (from what I remember). I know your "suppose" to but i dont care if it damages the pump and there cannot possibly be more fluid on the floor lol. My understanding is that the trans will slide off of the torque converter. Is that correct? Is it correct to assume the torque converter is not the issue? I did grind off the top of one bolt on the very bottom that I suspect may be the issue?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it will slide off the converter. But makes you have to slide it back before you come down with it. Why not remove the 4 nuts? It sounds like it is stuck on the dowel pins. May have to drive a chisel between the transmission and engine block. Do this as close to the dowel pins. Good luck.

Hello im in the process of removing by auto trans form an 02 sport. Ultimately the trans will be scrapped and switched with a manual. I have all the bell housing bolts out and the trans still wont come off. Tried prying, banging and ratchet straps. Ive done this once before (not the manual swap part) and i didnt have this much trouble. I did not unbolt the torque converter bolts since I figured it will be easier (from what I remember). I know your "suppose" to but i dont care if it damages the pump and there cannot possibly be more fluid on the floor lol. My understanding is that the trans will slide off of the torque converter. Is that correct? Is it correct to assume the torque converter is not the issue? I did grind off the top of one bolt on the very bottom that I suspect may be the issue?

Thanks.
did you remove the top bolts at the top of the motor?

I have a trick, harbor freight does a set of freebie screwdrivers often, take the various flat head ones, and tap them inbetween the engine and transmission, works every time. If it was me though, I'd go ahead and remove the converter bolts.

Yea the top bolts are out. Ill try the chiseling near the dow pins and if that doesnt help ill take the converter bolts out. Keep you guys updated.

Hello everyone. Though Id just rap this thread up. Trans is out. Left the torque converter so its easier to remove the bolts when the trans is out of the way (im a bigger guy). I drilled out the bottom bolt that I cut off and it slide right off. Thanks for your inputs!

Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out for you.

Back