How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

03 XLT 4.0L 4x4 with 151k no issues with the tranny. I flushed it at 90k replaced with Amsoil, a wix filter & the recommended friction modifier. So far so good...knock on wood.

--Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 mountaineer 4.6 2wd 104k on orig tranny once i replaced that my engine went out too so now i pretty much got a brand new truck. hopefully it will last for quite some time.

2002 mountaineer 4.6 2wd 104k on orig tranny once i replaced that my engine went out too so now i pretty much got a brand new truck. hopefully it will last for quite some time.

what happened to your engine?

51k miles and working great .....knock on wood.......

Wow, lots of horror stories from 02-03 it seems.
Yeah, that's why I started this thread...I love my '02 XLS but at 72K I'm well past the 60K EXPLOSION point and can't afford the huge tranny repair bill on these 5 speeds. The use car resale on these are horrible. I just had a factory Hyundai tranny put in my Accent w/1yr-12K warranty and it cost $1770.00 inc. t&t!

P.S. WOW...I didn't expect this thread to take off like this, 7 pages and still going strong...I got to be close to a record thread here...

THANKS AGAIN FELLAS!! :salute::usa::salute:

Hi all...First time posting. My wife and I are looking into finding a nice used 2002-2005 Explorer, since they seem to be pretty reasonably priced on the used market. The transmission issues are scaring me, however. I plan to drive this for two to three years and then give it to my son when he turns 16...and hopefully he would drive it himself for a few years.

Is the transmission issue more prevalent in the V6 or V8 model?...or does it even matter? I'm not very mechanically-inclined when it comes to autos, but I do keep up with maintenance and whatnot. I'm just hoping to get something that will work reliably for both me and then my son. Are there any other major issues with this particular generation Explorer that are a big deal? Is the general maintenance fairly reasonable cost-wise? I've pretty much always stuck with Honda, but am looking at a used Ford to save a little money and because I have several family members that have had great experiences with Ford trucks.

My second choice after the Explorer is a Mitsubishi Montero Sport or Endeavor...which I understand to be fairly reliable, but expensive if something does go wrong. I was leaning toward the Explorer simply because there are so many of them out there to choose from.

Sorry for the long-windedness...Thanks for any help/reassurance. :)

Update

An update to my last post. I took it back to National transmission 1 month after the warranty on my rebuilt tranny expired because the o/d off light kept flashing. Ended up forking over $2100 for a rebuilt torque converter, and another tranny rebuild! At 87,721miles! A third transmission! And now if you give it a little gas and then back off (like if you are following someone in a standard who can't shift well) it slams into gear like someone hits it in the rear-end! I just can't win with this truck!

185,000 on mine. Replaced the solenoid pack at 60k. Have flushed it three times and changed filter once.

D

Hi all...First time posting. My wife and I are looking into finding a nice used 2002-2005 Explorer, since they seem to be pretty reasonably priced on the used market. The transmission issues are scaring me, however. I plan to drive this for two to three years and then give it to my son when he turns 16...and hopefully he would drive it himself for a few years.

Is the transmission issue more prevalent in the V6 or V8 model?...or does it even matter? I'm not very mechanically-inclined when it comes to autos, but I do keep up with maintenance and whatnot. I'm just hoping to get something that will work reliably for both me and then my son. Are there any other major issues with this particular generation Explorer that are a big deal? Is the general maintenance fairly reasonable cost-wise? I've pretty much always stuck with Honda, but am looking at a used Ford to save a little money and because I have several family members that have had great experiences with Ford trucks.

My second choice after the Explorer is a Mitsubishi Montero Sport or Endeavor...which I understand to be fairly reliable, but expensive if something does go wrong. I was leaning toward the Explorer simply because there are so many of them out there to choose from.

Sorry for the long-windedness...Thanks for any help/reassurance. :)

In my area, you just do not see 2002-2005 explorers advertised for sale in the newspaper. I am curious as to what prices you see on an '02 Eddie Bauer and in what area of the country? I have an '02 EB V8 and no transmissions problems (80k mi) and am looking to buy a car the next time, but haven't yet tested the used Explorer market prices here.

I have 126,000 on my 2002

Our 5spd auto-OD is at 135,000 untouched except "by the book" maintenance at the dealer.
Turned by the 4.6L v8.
btw - we're "Ford folks" (including their maintenance) because of our dealer's history of keeping our vehicles running, and running, and running, ....

Have an '03 Ranger with 4.0 liter V6 SOHC engine. Tranny is the 5R55E (5-speed auto). Both are original and just nudging up to 300,000 km/~190,000 miles.

No major issues with engine or transmission, though I have read plenty of horror stories about both.

Tranny did display flashing "O/D" light at about 150,000 km/~95,000 miles, and was told by a tranny shop that there was a problem with 2nd to 3rd shift and that only a re-build would solve that (sure, if I was willing to part with about $2,000.00 CDN) - told them to change tranny filter and re-fill fluid (since it was due for the service anyway), reset the computer, and the issue has not come up again. I should mention that the light came on while driving in wet/slippery conditions, and that may have contributed to the problem in the 2nd to 3rd shift.

BTW, the tranny is serviced every 50,000 km/~30,000 miles - service basically consisting of "drop the pan and drain fluid, replace tranny filter, re-fill with fresh ATF" (all per manufacturer's recommended schedule).

Also, I periodically disconnect the negative battery terminal (about every month) so that the computer resets, and the tranny "re-learns" my driving habits - though I don't know if this contributes to the longevity of the engine/transmission (figure it hasn't hurt, though).

First few services for tranny were done by a shop, but after my experience with the shop (and this was a shop I trusted) telling me I needed a re-build, I have done the tranny filter and fluid changes myself. "O/D" flashing has not come up again.

So far, so good - no expectation of impending failure anytime soon - on the most recent service, the fluid looked pretty clean - and between changes, the fluid is checked regularly.

BTW, I don't shift hard, even to the point of easing up on the gas when I'm approaching the shift points - just don't like the feel of "hard" shifts, so I go pretty gently on the gas.

I'm a firm believer in regular maintenance - oil and filter are changed every 5,000 km/3,000 miles like clockwork, fuel injector cleaner used about once a month on average, manufacturer's specs for maintenance adhered to or even surpassed. And, I'm fortunate enough to be able to do most of the routine maintenance myself - and for my own satisfaction, I know that the work has been done.

02 transmission problems

Got the OD death flash at 64,000 (35 months of use). I had record of a complaint in the shifting twice before at the stealership. For this reason they did a rebuild on the transmission.(I paid 320.00 for fluid and some other items) Now at 147,000 it seems to be going out again. I suspect that Ford didn't put sleeve and bushing in the case and the servo has worn the case again.(I didn't know about this back then). This is in other threads--Metal Servo wears Aluminum case and causes loss of fluid pressure and wears band. So bad at 64,000 bad at 83,000 again. GREAT DESIGN FORD.

I heard the 02 5 speed was a beefed up Lincoln Ls tranny- any truth to that? I heard it from an auto mag, not sure which one.....

72,000 miles and I just got the OD flash. Have not read this whole thread so are there any suggestions? What could be the problem? This tranny was pampered with a flush at 36,000 miles to curtail just this. Guess Im ####ed huh?

Just clicked over 100k miles this week on the original engine/tranny. Looking for 100k more! :)

My 4x4 module did take a dump though some time in 2007. I haven't replace it yet. I don't really go off road...

My 2002 EB 4.0 has 118,000 miles on it. I had the trans flushed at 115,000 and it's still going. Just recently it started to have this grinding type feeling from taking off after a dead stop. I happens real quick and goes away after the take off. I don't tow often but tow within the trucks means when I do. I have torn up the mountains and desert of South Centeral New Mexico, using the 4 low often. I live in Virginia now where it's nothing but miles of urban paradise and NO WHERE to off-road. This place sucks, but is probably right at home for this generation explorer (grocery getter style).

Anyways, my tranny has been awesome, except for the recent grinding type feeling which will probably destroy it which I can't wait for.....
I have put the Explorer through hell and has performed great considering what I've demanded from it and the trans has pulled it's weight! Hope this answers the original question:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the original owner, I only made 67400 miles before I got to the point of no 2nd & 5th gear. Servo piston for band (cast alum or "pop metal") cracked, which lead to a worn out band and a $2,150.00 overhaul of my 5R55S tranny. Local 35 year old tranny shop did the OH. He also told me that he has never seen a worn out servo piston case, which I thought he would find.

Back