Just a few questions about your 3rd gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just a few questions about your 3rd gen.

ParadoxRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB 4X4
Hello all,
I have a 91 4X4 EB 'Sploder and I love it, but I'm thinking that its getting a little old to be a daily driver. I have been looking at my options, and really like the 02-05 Explorers, but after reading some reviews and doing a little research I'm more than a little worried that if I went and bought one I would regret it because my 19 year old Explorer would be more reliable. I have seen a lot of reliability issues in reviews of this generation, but I know that reviews only tell half the story. That said, I figured I would ask the people that actually own them directly.

So, what do you think of your 3rd gen? What type of cost of ownership would I be looking at? How do they compare with the 1st gens reliability wise? Common problems?

I am quite mechanically inclined, and can troubleshoot/fix/rebuild/replace just about anything I need to, but I would like to not have to. That's kinda the point of getting a newer X. I am looking at V8 4WD models, if that makes a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a V8 4.6L 2004 with 53,000 Kms and so far it is very good... not at all problems... good suspension, good tranny, good engine, good interior space.....

In the past I had a 93 Explorer v6 4.0L and I burned 2 trannys, has some sparkplugs issues... that´s it... good truck also...

Between both of them I rather prefer the 2004 model... more space, more power and a little more features.....

I do not have any comparison about costs... but in the 2004 with a V8 engine just the gas consumpsion is the mayor cost....

JorgeA

I had assumed the V8 would use more gas, but not much more from what I saw. What kind of mileage do you get? (You can post in Km per Litre, I can do the math. :) I'm getting about 17 MPG right now (about 7.2 KM/L) I just rebuilt the tranny, and it runs well but a little noisy due to the damn valve clatter. I am planning to spend some money in the next few months, either fixing the valve clatter and finding and fixing the 70 MPH-ish vibration, or as a down payment on a newer Explorer. Thank you for your input! Anyone else?

....... but after reading some reviews and doing a little research I'm more than a little worried that if I went and bought one I would regret it because my 19 year old Explorer would be more reliable. Reliability of course depends a lot on how it is cared for & driven. So, buying a used one of any gen. introduces additional questions regarding reliability, which may be a valid reason to buy new, if it can be afforded. In my case, it could not.....

So, what do you think of your 3rd gen? '04 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC bought with 94K, wonderful vehicle, exceeds expectations, this after owning a '96 and a '99. It lacks quite a few options, but those being convenience/glitter things, it's basics are just fine! I questioned "4X4 AUTO" at first, until studying just what they were doing with this. I am now pretty accepting of it, but my gut feel still wants 2WD choice to be available.

This '04 is one of the best-tracking vehicles on the highway that I have owned, right up there with my '93 Mustang Cobra!

What type of cost of ownership would I be looking at? Sorry, do not understand question.

How do they compare with the 1st gens reliability wise? Common problems? In my experience, no clue, but having driven the '96 100k and the '99 close to that much, I feel there is no reason to believe the 3rd. gen. should be considered any less reliable than 2nd.

I am quite mechanically inclined, and can troubleshoot/fix/rebuild/replace just about anything I need to, but I would like to not have to. That's kinda the point of getting a newer X. I am looking at V8 4WD models, if that makes a difference. Well, being mechanically inclined but not experienced in using the ability introduces some pitfalls, as you no doubt know. Do not know if 3rd. V-8 equipped were built in other than AWD or not. Early-on, AWD was highly suspect, in my mind. I felt GM's (nasty letters, those!) approach was more sound than Ford's early work, but have come to gradually appreciate the AWD Explorer after seeing many with very high miles still working well. imp

Obviously, reliability will be tied to how the vehicle was taken care of previously. The 91 I have now was abused horribly before it came into my hands, and has many issues, and many that I have already fixed. I guess I'm looking to establish a middle ground. Some vehicles are horrible no matter how they're cared for. Others, such as anything with a rotary engine (I have 2, hehe) are horrible if not cared for, but excellent if they are maintained. Still others will take abuse and keep going, albiet not as smoothly. It seems to me that the 1st gen Explorers are the type to take a lot of abuse, (transmission excepted) and I'm just trying to ensure that Ford didn't slip up in quality in the 13 years since then. When I say I am mechanically inclined, I mean that I am a mechanic. Not a professional, but the people who I learned from were, and I have more or less rebuilt my last 4 vehicles to make them road worthy. If I buy a newer vehicle, it will be the first "turn-key" I'll have bought in quite a few years. For this reason, I will not buy new. My ex bought a new vehicle, and it was the most boring thing ever. I never got to work on it, and that's no fun at all! I have come to the conclusion that I have to tear apart at least part of each of my vehicles in order to trust them. ;) However, I don't have the time I used to have, so this is not always an option, so I want something old enough to still need some TLC, but new enough that it doesn't need TLC immediately, and I can trust it on a highway trip.

Ive got an 02 V6 and i love it, the only major problem ive had has i had to put a new rearend in it but that was understandable because i tow it behind an rv and its got about 200k miles

I bought a 04 v8 xlt (not advance trac stuff, just auto 4x4) brand new.
Most of the stuff done under warrenty/ I did some stuff- (noted)
10k miles- computer reflash
25k miles water pump went out(believe it or not)
32k miles- rear end clutch packs/ chattering when making a corner
33k - new rims as they were corroding around the ford logo
37k - BSI switch ( hard to shift out of park)
40k- sway bar bushings sqeeking (i did)
43k - tensioner pulley bearing went out( 20$- i did)
45k- rear end ABS sensor (i did)
48k- heater fan worked on high (i replaced control knob dail)
52k rear end howl / new ring and pinion tsb
55k air filter( i did haha)
extended warrenty runs out at 60k better find stuff :):)
57k - front ring and pinion input shaft seal seeping a little
upper steering arm (vibrating/clunking steering wheel which I believe it is the struts now leaking at 63k)
AC chirp - ( I cleaned the pullies filled with rubber from screaded belt at water pump install belt installation gone bad/ which is now back)

ran out of my extended warrenty now it is all me now.

60k miles- I replaced the blend door actuator (great how to here)and the fuel filter (first one done at 30k, good how to and wasnt horriable, but I was nervous)
62k miles- Thought my humming was a front left wheel bearing- replaced that only to hear the humming in the back left.
63k - Just did the brakes all around (normal wear)
Needs front struts as they are leaking, yes physically leaking on my cv boot and it clunks pretty good over small bumps.
63k just got brand new tires again ( long story, but hankook tires are nicer then the stock bfg's)
On the repair list as of now=- Struts up front, Gator back belt to hope It helps the ac chirp and figure out if I want to tackle the rear wheel bearing or take it to a shop.
.....................................................................................

Now I had the common issues with the explorer- rear end whine-and wheel bearings. some of my other crap might be odd but could be worse.

Would I buy one again? No, But i dont hate this vehicle . Has great power, smooth and quiet (except the humming). It is great in the snow! . v8 gas mileage is just as good at the v6 but you get more power.

I wouldnt get a 02. I would look for a 05 If i was going to look for one. I wouldnt get the advance trac stuff, just a reguluar 4x4. Heard a few issues that I wouldnt want to deal with dealing with that system. I have heard of early v8's shooting out plugs on some 02-03's. Guess the added more threads in the heads in 04+. Just take one out and listen for the rear end howl. Make sure the vehicle is warmed up (like 10plus miles on it/ happened to me). get up around 50-60mph, let off the gas, glently give it some gas and listen for a howl. DO that a few times and you will be able to hear a howl. If it still makes noise when you let off/get on the gas it is a wheel bearing. Also make sure the heater works and doesnt "clunk" .

This is the place to be! trust me. lots of great helpfull people and good how to's. If it wasnt for this forum I wouldnt know 3/4 of what I do about this vehicle.

Keep us updated!

If you do look for a 3rd gen it would be best to stick to 03+. 2002 models had a few more issues such as the rear end and the tranny being that it was the first year of the new model.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Oddly enough, I can only find 04's around here. There are a bunch of them, but almost no 02 or 03. a couple of 05's. That in itself is a little scary. Is there something wrong with 04 in particular, or is it just coincidence? Anyway, I have been on this forum for a while, even before I registered. I got the 91 several years ago for free with a bad tranny, and finally decided to put it back on the road about 9 months ago. This sight was invaluable for when I rebuilt the tranny and tackled some of the other issues. (Glacier's writeup FTW!) I looked at several other SUV's and such, but the Explorer is the only one that is the right size (Pathfinder, etc. too small) and is not hideously ugly (Trailblazer, 4Runner). Besides, I've grown to really enjoy the Explorer I have now. I had a 75 Bronco back in the day, and that was a load of fun in itself. I really think I'm going to go for a 3rd gen, but it will be a few months. Any more input on this thread is certainly appreciated. :D

Because I live in a city with a lot of traffic lights and a lot of cars I got 5.2 Kms/L and in the "highway" (It is a country with almost 80% in high mountains) got 8.5-9.2 Kms/L average......

JorgeA.

Back