Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 74 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its probably a Yakima base rack. Yakima's are round tubed where as Thule's are square tubed. And yeah its missing the tray to hold the rest of the bike down. As for the "quick release" (QR), "Sachs Maillard" is an old company that makes hubs and freewheels -- so that QR (and maybe the fork mount) probably didnt come with the original rack.

d_255.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yep, looks like a typical Yakima tower to me. Good find!

And a 3rd vote for Yakima.

Some of the bike mounts came with a short tray for the back wheel (that mounted on the rear bar) instead of the long tray - perhaps this is one of those.

Yes, I think it's the short tray for the back, and the form mount up front (that's the type I had), and the long tray for both tires (so no need to pull the front tire off) and a bar that clamps to the bike frame.

Like so ....
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/top/boa
Except the new ones are fancier.

Well, I probably won't be using it for a bike, I mean how in the heck would I get a bike up and down off the roof? Seriously-

It will make a good base for a rack though. I like the ones I see with fairings.

On a side note Sparksaflyin, Joshua and I went back down to the river and found a lot of trails back in there, even laid out ( in our heads) some new ones .We found another way down to the river, but decided it was best to go up the first time.

I think we need to get a few of us together and hit these. I promise much fun, as there are several creeks dumping into the river right in that area.It's close to my house, but even closer to the park with electric camp sites.

Oh yeah, the transmission coolers---

During the heat of the day, 105 degrees, while driving in sand and gravel the trans temp got up to about 165 degrees. The coolers helped quite a bit.

How much of a trail ready vehicle would be required?

How much of a trail ready vehicle would be required?

Yours would do fine down there, although we plan on trying out some real hairy looking notches and creekbeds, most of the trails are just tight paths thru the woods.

Yours would do fine down there, although we plan on trying out some real hairy looking notches and creekbeds, most of the trails are just tight paths thru the woods.

Hmmm. When are you thinking about doing this?

Whenever we can get this together-although it would be good to try as soon as possible, once it gets wet again the river may come up and ruin all the fun.

well would some one pick a date here please? :D i am jonesing for some time off here now and wanna do whatever off roading i can in the Mounty

If it is in August I won't be there. I'm not going to bake my brains out.

If it is in August I won't be there. I'm not going to bake my brains out.

Most of this is in the shade. Don't you have ac in that thing?

We could do early morning and nighttime also. How about moving this discussion to another thread. I will do this.

^^Was that you flexing :) hahahaha^^

Awesome.

Yup
The town is so boring a truck in a ditch made the paper.:rolleyes:

And, the person who called was not concerned at all, they just wanted to make the show more than it was. I saw no less than 8 people watching me from a window across the street at the grain elevator place.They were the only ones around so I know that is who called. If they were so concerned, why didn't someone come and check on me?

While leaving the "scene" I saw the officer who was on his way there, so we exchanged waves.

That's cool, I like the way the paper reports stories. They go fast on that page, a big city paper would have a separate article for each sentence you have there as a story.

Who was making the excessive engine noise?

Back