Dr. Jack | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This month makes 5 years since the trip to Albuquerque to get Jack's rig after Brian1 noticed it on Craig's List there. ( I am not sure of the exact date Robert and I went to pick up the rig, but it was in late October 2009)

For me, it all started when I was invited to an EF run in Ouray 2009, made the run as a rider and then I was hooked.

The beginning:

mikesengineswap1.jpg

The first attempt at putting this rig back on the trail did not work out as planned.

Untitled.jpg

mud.jpg

Then it was the memorial run for a lost dear friend, John Rock.

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

( and his rig lives on with Chris (Txplates) :salute:

Next was this rig officially rejoining an EF run with Brian1 and Jim in Ouray, damn did we burn up some trails on this trip! :D

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Along came Las Cruses and local run "City Lake"

LasCruces011.jpg

LasCruces010.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

First Moab for myself with this rig!!

014-1_zps158692fb.jpg

IMG_3622_zpsa18342e5.jpg

PSM-Mike1SM_zps19ee78ea.jpg

Another Ouray, this time with Robert (easymc)

IMG_3729_zps47905deb.jpg

IMG_3677_zps275bc8d5.jpg

And then, Ouray with both of my brothers Robert and Gene (deadman), plus some trailing with Brian1 and MrBoyle.:burnout:

IMG_3804_zps768a8ad9.jpg

IMG_3811_zpsa69f3453.jpg

IMG_3843_zps25e574bd.jpg

Coming up later this month: LaBadaja, Truckhaven, and Arizona trails.

I would have never thought I could of met so many great people, but the EF and Demon4x4 have introduced me to so many. From all over my country and beyond to our friends north and overseas the EF stretches and links numerous people who simply have a love for off-roading and comradeship. Rick, your and Jack's foresight have created one hell of a group of people. :salute:

Now not only are my two brothers members, but a daughter and son-in-law are members.

To never ending trails......... :chug:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:D:thumbsup:

Took a few pics today while Easymc and I worked on the bumper of the rig in prep for Truckhaven.

Had to do some straightening out of the winch mount area.

DSCN0198_zps3da39020.jpg

DSCN0197_zps49c5829c.jpg

DSCN0196_zps03b24f08.jpg

New vice and braced to work better for light jobs if needed on the trail, lose swivel but gain stability

DSCN0199_zps63de19f9.jpg

Back on, I thought about painting it again while it was off the rig, but don't care about looking pretty and it really has a used look now with the dents and age on it.

DSCN0200_zpsebfec876.jpg

Had to install a new battery, after two Optima batteries going dead and not taking a charge after, decided to skip Optima and go with a Duralast Platinum, not much difference in price. The Duralast has a 740 cold crank.

DSCN0264_zps620fc96e.jpg

Things to do before Moab,

basic service (all oils changed)
replace master cylinder and brake booster
redo wiring for accessories (off road lights, air locker, etc)
redo mounting points for air locker switches, etc
Install new rear skid mounts

Had a real good LOL last week, Robert and a friend are doing repair work on my house while I am on the road, Robert had said something about the "Jack" being in the way and needs to be moved, our friend was looking for a regular style jack to move, and couldn't figure out what Robert was talking about, until he learned the name of the rig was "Jack". :D

Did you ever replace the passenger side coil bucket?

Sure didn't, got it lined up to get welded, going to take it over to a friends place and remove both of them to get them welded.

Sure didn't, got it lined up to get welded, going to take it over to a friends place and remove both of them to get them welded.

Easiest time I had removing the coil buckets was to use a cutting torch sideways on the rivets, just cutting the button off. Then you can knock them out with a punch. Replace with bolts.

Easiest time I had removing the coil buckets was to use a cutting torch sideways on the rivets, just cutting the button off. Then you can knock them out with a punch. Replace with bolts.

:biggthump

Got to do some today to the Jack,

New power booster and master cylinder,

DSCN0272_zpsnsjvffes.jpg

After finding out the coil brackets have been welded to the frame, had to go with welding the driver's side, and going with the passenger side until replacement coil buckets can be found (and I did notice the caliper mounting pin and corrected it)

DSCN0266_zpsepyw6b4c.jpg

Since Robert had the saw out and did some trimming on his '94, he did some trimming on the Dr. Jack

DSCN0271_zpsrmkvsbdp.jpg

More work tomorrow

A few close ups from the roll over in Moab,

DSCN0001_zpskxlnoix7.jpg

DSCN0006_zpsbramyiy7.jpg

you can see how the body is tweaked, those of us who were there were amazed that the rear window did not break.

DSCN0007_zpslqblvc8s.jpg

The cargo area, after we were done packing the cargo area before heading out to Moab, Robert and I both stated that this was the first time the rear area looked organized, the roll over sure took care of that.

DSCN0004_zpsonaiif1s.jpg

DSCN0005_zpsnaglsss7.jpg

A search for a donor vehicle is on going. ( Kris sent me a Craiglist explorer from San Antonio, but I was second in line and did not get it.

When the Dr. Jack goes to Bandit Customs, more mods are planned.

Easier to just buy clean stock 1st Gen and swap goodies.

I saw this one in San Diego, Mission Bay today. Very straight body.
WExpMissionBay_Large_.jpg

Sweet, its even the right color!! Hope you can get it

Same color is a bonus!!

You need something good to drink with the popcorn. :dpchug:

I saw this one in San Diego, Mission Bay today. Very straight body.
WExpMissionBay_Large_.jpg

That is a sweet looking rig, just a little too far to go!

Got the donor vehicle today, for some reason my pics from my phone is not loading, will wait until daylight and take some then post before I hit the road.

Definitely needs some work, but it is in a heck of a lot better condition than mine is now.

Needs a little body work, windshield is cracked so is not usable for a body swap. Interior is in good condition except for the head liner.

But for the price, it is the best option.

Are you planning on a body swap, or swapping the parts off Dr. Jack to the new vehicle?

If doing a body swap, don't forget to change out the dashboard so the VIN is correct.

Back