First stuck in 4x4 :D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First stuck in 4x4 :D

Alright, bit of a story, but pictures come with it! (first time getting stuck in 4x4)

So last class today was a spare, naturally i go home and mess around with the truck. This time my buddy decides to skip english and come with me. On the way home i thought, why not go offroad, then i thought id probably get stuck. So we decide to go offroad. I drove around this swamp (it was dry were i drove) and around some other bumps, made it perfectly fine in fact i was a bit surprised. I drive right over a hill, bottoming the truck out on it, yet still make it over, so it passes that test. Then i drive around up this steep hill and clay, make that fine (the whole time we were on the farm here).

At last depleting all options of not getting muddy but one, the other side of the swamp.. So we get going through the "apparently dry" part and as climbing up a little hill, the tires start slipping. I figure we just have the truck flexing too much and so i reverse. Big mistake right there, i left it in low range and got stuck since i couldnt spin fast enough to get out (i dont want to push it in low range, since the tranny has to go faster).

5 seconds later the truck has sunk down to the frame. I try rocking it out with too slow of progress, so i run over and get the tractor. I hook the chain up and my buddy steers the truck. i start pulling with the tractor. Now 2 minutes before when i was hooking up the chain (to the little hook spots for trailers, big mistake) i was wondering why the heck everyone wants tow hooks on the back, and thought, well im lucky nothing got damaged. I was taking it slow, the chain straightened up, and the bumper bends up. Thats about it. I also realized how bad the front ball joints are when my friend drove it back up to the house.

Moral of this story.... dont pull it out by the bumper next time..

The extent of the damage was kind of lucky, just bent the mounts, which kind of worry me when i actually saw the condition of them and the fact we tow a 5000lb trailer attached to that bumper. I can use a sledgehammer to get the bumper back down, but i definately am going to look into new bumper mount things.

Anyways enough talk, heres some pictures.

(dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you weren't trespassing on someone's property. :nono: We don't condone any illegal offroading..

Nice pics.

I would guess that since he did drive the tractor on the property that it is his farm or a friend's so probably not trespassing.

Sounds like he was on his own farm, since he "ran to get the tractor". Plus I think he's been here long enough to not post pics of illegal wheeling.

Nice pics. If you don't get frame mounted tow hooks in the rear, you could buy a hitch for it and get a receiver shackle or receiver tow hook. If that is your own property(It sounds like it is) and you have a tractor, try to go through the swampy area your talking about! :D (After you get tow hooks of course)

techieman33 said:
Yeah, the whole I ran to get the tractor part makes me think that he was on his own property. And he "drove it back up to the house", my bet is it was all on the up and up.

Well, just in case, we DO condone the comandeering of tractors to unstuck yourself... as long as you aren't trespassing ;)

yes it is my own property :D. I wouldnt do illegal wheeling in the first place.

The part that worries me is how easily the bumper bent in the first place, didn't take any force to do it. I had the chain attached to the hole were trailer safety chains attach to, which is close to the hitch itself.

As of today the swampy area is even too swampy for a tractor to go through, rain all day. maybe someone with 35" tires could do it just fine...

Heres some pictures

(dead links)

You've got a freakin offroad park in your backyard. I hate you. :D

I hate me too :D, those pics werent even half of this place hehehe

muhahahaha

bwahahahahaha!! :confused:

That would be so cool to be able to wheel in you own yard!!!!

And thanks for the pics and story.

As stated before I would get an after market hitch that mounts to the frame, then you can be pulled out without bending or breaking anything.

Can you say.....Class III hitch?? You shouldn't be towing 5k lbs on the bumper anyways..It's only rated as a Class II.

I do have a class III hitch sitting in my garage if your interested? They also make a great rock guard for the rear end.

Positive Vibes said:
I do have a class III hitch sitting in my garage if your interested? They also make a great rock guard for the rear end.

Tube or square?

Square.

No more towing 5k lbs here, personally, i am tired of replacing transmissions. I am however going to find some good tow hooks, then i am going to proceed to get stuck again in the swamp. :D

EDIT - Going to try and get some videos hosted on a friends FTP server, i can take alot of videos with the digicam that come out good, and since theres basically an offroad playground in my back yard.. hehe. (ooh also a backhoe to create more offroad obstacles :cool: )

doesn't look that bad. The bumper itself doesn't look bent, easy fix. You shoulda made it through that, just hit it with more speed next time. Looks like fun, wish I could join ya.

:chug: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back