Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 75 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cool, I like the way the paper reports stories. They go fast on that page, a big city paper would have a separate article for each sentence you have there as a story.

Who was making the excessive engine noise?

So now you want me to be nosy? :D

Ok, I will make it a mission to see what i can find out. :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Too funny!!

I noticed the rear view mirror in this truck has map lights, and 2 small holes which I believe are to let heat out????

What do I need to make this work? I cannot seem to find a plug--

002-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

That's not a Gen 1 mirror ;) Our map lights are in the ceiling console with the compass and outside temp display.

That is an odd plug, you might have to hunt the yards for a while to find one.

That's not a Gen 1 mirror ;) Our map lights are in the ceiling console with the compass and outside temp display.

Mine only has lights where the compass would be. Looks like another project is in order.

I thought it came out of a pontiac????? You might start with the older grandam.

Let me know what you find.

I thought it came out of a pontiac????? You might start with the older grandam.

Let me know what you find.

A friggin pontiac part in my truck? What the?????:p::D

No wonder it fell off.

Notice in this picture how the mounting holes for the lower coil brakets are off center.

IMG_0777.jpg

Well, the truck was making this weird intermittent squeaking so I dug in deep and saw the springs were hitting the coil buckets. Ooops, I had the lower buckets on the wrong feet. I hate it when that happens---
Yesterday I drooped the front so I could pop the coils loose and swap them. That half inch or so made a lot of difference.

Today I tried to pull out the radius arm bushings but they are still grabbing the arms so well I figured they are still good. They are only a year old but i wanted to see how badly they were wearing. Guess that part is good.
So, I replaced a mushy transmission mount instead.

Been working on this hitch mount rack. We'll use it for camping gear and leave it at base camp.

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Just a bit more grinding then it's off to powdercoat.

How about adding a brace from each back corner to the top mounting center? Triangulate it, what's another pound of meat.

How about adding a brace from each back corner to the top mounting center? Triangulate it, what's another pound of meat.

I think it will be fine. If extra stablity is needed I'll just strap it to one of the bumper tabs.

It is actually higher than the picture appears. It is about 2" higher than the axle tubes.

Good stuff - cant wait to see what interesting color you choose for it!

What do you think about adding a few marker lights to it using the trailer plug for power? Also maybe adding an upright receiver for a post you drop in to attach the license plate to, in case all the stuff you put on it covers up the tag on the truck?

Hmm, corner drop in posts to help box things in and hold items better too? :dunno:

Well, this is made from 1/4" and the welds are burned in good. It isn't gonna move.

I'm more worried about my shins. I know, even though I am the one who put it there I am going to hit it several times in my future.:D

As far as the license plate goes--we'll fix that if necessary. zip ties are your friend.

Back