Just got the Apten Chip! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got the Apten Chip!

any one who has a 1st generation ex did you notice a big difference and were you satisfied?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i third that request

Whord! Guess who might want an apten too! I'll just wait, but if you guys start another group buy in the next few months, let me know.

I'm going to get one too. I am going to go to the Apten store though, since it's only 100 miles from my house.
Maybe get before and after dynos if it's not too much extra.

Does anyone have data in regards to the power gains in a 4.0 ohv engine? Any info about MPG would also be appreciated. Thanx in advance!

Hey are you going to do another group buy for the Apten chip?? I might join in, I have a first gen Ex 4wd auto.i dont'know the code though

I want the Apten Chip NOW!!!

I've read a lot of great things about the Apten Chip and I want to see what it's all about. If there is going to be another group purchase, count me in. I really want to buy that 3 program chip with the toggle LED switch that gives the options of switching to stock, 87-octane, or 91-octane. DuratecPerformance offered me their Delta Chip by DiabloSport for $420!!! Forget that!

Bumpity bumpity bump.
Anyone seen brian lately? Is he on vacation?
I am really intrested in a chip, and I think there are quite a few others on here that are too. I only have a few weeks left before I am leaving the country... so I would like to get it done. :)
Just bringing it back up.

count me in on group buy for an Apten!!

still waiting as well

Quick question-

Wouldn't the extra cost of Premium Fuel offset the extra 2 MPG?

Quick Answer-
Isn't it worth it for the extra performance?
And what if you got a dual program chip? What if you had the stock program, an 87 fuel economy program, and a 93 performance burn program?
-----Nate

Originally posted by X-factor
Quick question-

Wouldn't the extra cost of Premium Fuel offset the extra 2 MPG?

Nope! I averaged ~15 mpg before, now I dont get less than 20. Thats almost another 100 miles per tank. Premium for me is another 17 cents a gallon, 20 gallons x .17 = $3.40, which is 2 1/4 gallons of 87. 2 1/4 extra gallons doesnt get me another 80-100 miles.

Originally posted by burnin_up
Nope! I averaged ~15 mpg before, now I dont get less than 20.

5+ more MPG! Wow... is this possible? Somebody has got to tell Ford about this Chip! :D

Originally posted by X-factor
5+ more MPG! Wow... is this possible? Somebody has got to tell Ford about this Chip! :D

Thats from all of my mods together... I was seeing about +2 mpg with exhaust/filter...then the chip came along and really straightened things out.

I'm in the market for an apten chip too. I want to know what type of gas you are running? I want the extra horsepower but I really don't want to spend the extra money on each fill up. Or has the gas mileage improved enough that it is worth it? Let me know, thanks.

you can get it burned for different octanes. You wont get as much performance, but you will get some. In your case, you can't benefit from the tranny shifting changes the chip makes for the 96 and up, so, I would say go balls out performance and use 92+ octane, or it won't really be worth it.

Originally posted by Lifted95X
you can get it burned for different octanes. You wont get as much performance, but you will get some. In your case, you can't benefit from the tranny shifting changes the chip makes for the 96 and up, so, I would say go balls out performance and use 92+ octane, or it won't really be worth it.
Are you saying that there will not be any better shifting characteristics for a 96-up?

No, he isnt.
The 96's and up (V6 at least) run XR55E trannies.
The E at the end means it is elecronically controlled... shift points, speed of shifts, firmness, etc.
The newer explorers respond very well tranny wise to the chip... its all just a matter of programming the trannie to do what you want.
I even believe that a firmer quicker shift will help save trannie life... delay=slipping.... slipping=heat.... heat=death.
Anyways, it's not to say the 95s and lower wont get improved performance, they will.... the only question is: how much?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back