Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Liftgate noises when opening

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by foxtemple, September 27, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. foxtemple

foxtemple Active Member

City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Ford Explorer
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Express

Express Member

City, State:
    FL
    Limited 2013 302a
    I have seen the lifting arm apart and it's a screw type of device that turns to lift and close.
    Seems yours might need a lube, might be a simple repair.

4. rmp301

rmp301 Active Member

City, State:
    Yonkers, New York
    2012 Explorer XLT
    Mine does the same thing ........ This is what your $$$$$ buys you!

5. whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon New Member

2014 xlt
    Mine does the same thing...doesn't really bother me...its a 2014 3 year lease...returning the car in 2016 and will get another - not because i dont like, i love this car cause of the 20 inch tires, leather, sunroof etc...i love the car...but the click doesn't really bother me...

6. whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon New Member

2014 xlt
    If you think that the car is built like crap, you shouldn't, cause every car has issues, some worse than others....Ill give you an example....I had a volvo s70 and every time i would remotely open the locks at the same time that someone else would pull on the door handle, the automatic door lock would break...yes, the automatic door lock would break and it would cost me 200$ to fix every time...so i replaced 4 broken door locks (all different doors) at 200$ a pop....the piece was made out of plastic but the whole door lock would need replacement....and the volvo cost me more than the explorer...

If you think there wont be a click or a creak in any car, you are fooling yourself....

I wont tell you of problems i had with other cars, to tired to type....ill take a click over broken plastic locks any day...

7. rmp301

rmp301 Active Member

City, State:
    Yonkers, New York
    2012 Explorer XLT
    I have NEVER owned a veh with as many problems as this truck ...... and at twice the price. Am I complaining? Nope ..... Just answering a question ....... I've given up on all the issues I am having ...... It's useless. More then half the time the problems cannot even be addressed by Ford. :(

8. whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon New Member

2014 xlt
    Hi, look, in 2005 i bought a brand new 2005 honda odyssey...1 year later i saw rust on the door where the welding was, i got it repaired by Honda, the rust came back...AND every winter (only in winter) at 100 km/per hour there would be a whistling sound coming from the driver side door .. every winter at 100km/hour - brought it to honda but they never got the problem fixed...I learned to never drive in winter at exactly 100km/hr...awful - i got rid of the car - it was falling apart on me...i had a few issues with the honda...

In 1999 i bought a brand new Nissan pathfinder...it started rusting around the window passanger after 1 winter...after 3 years the suspension was changed, something broke, lucky it was under warranty...this must have been the worse car i have ever owned....i had lots of issues with that car...

My wife has a subaru outback...build like a rock (knock on wood)

I own a 2014 ford explorer...love the car - its a lease and will be changing it in 3 years...so far nothing major...

I dont remember the year, but i had bought a brand new mazda 626, had a few issues with it, electric mirror needed replacement, electric antenna needed replacement...nothing major...traded it in for my volvo s70...

I had lots of issues with the volvo s70 ... but it was a great car to drive...

I dont know what kind of problems you are having with your car, but as long as they are not major, like rust, engine or transmission and suspension i would call it minor annoyances....

9. rmp301

rmp301 Active Member

City, State:
    Yonkers, New York
    2012 Explorer XLT
    Glad you don't mind wasting your money .... I do! Terrain management fails and lift gate opens while driving ...... At times can't even shut the radio off and have had the radio screen freeze up for days with Sirius blaming Ford and Ford saying it's Sirius. Your right, the liftgate noise is just another little gift from Ford. It does no good to bring it in as I get nowhere with these issues. I'm totally frustrated with this product and when someone questions if I am experiencing the same problem as them I answer. By the way, this issue came to light after a SECOND liftgate repair by Ford! First was for the liftgate not opening in cold weather and the second uncommanded opening when closing or already closed. I constantly scan all features on this truck as I never know what to expect it to do. :mad:

Last edited: September 30, 2013
  10. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi rmp301,

It's been a while since we last chatted via PM; I'm happy to do what I can to assist. Send me your information (name, phone number, mileage, VIN, servicing dealership) in a PM and I'll check out some options. I can assist with physical vehicle concerns, but all in-vehicle technology issues are best addressed by my colleagues on the forum, FordIVTTeam. They can be contacted here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=181992

Crystal

11. Dr Plastic

Dr Plastic Active Member

City, State:
    Newport News, Virginia
    '15 Limited FWD
    Liftgate actuator making knocking noises

The actuator on my power liftgate is making knocking noises when lifting the liftgate. It just stated doing this this past weekend. Well it is off to the dealership for a few issues. I also have a side window defroster vent that has paint chipping/peeling off, wind noise coming from the door seal and a few trim issues.

12. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    I'm sure your dealership will be happy to take care of your noisy liftgate and the other issues you mentioned, Dr Plastic. Come back and tell us how your appointment goes. If you'd like, I can go ahead and loop in your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

13. bender

bender Active Member

City, State:
    Johnstown PA
    '08 Limited
    I didn't hear much in the video to be concerned with. my wife's 13 acadia rear door is noisier and I consider it to be functioning properly.

14. Chris Paul

Chris Paul New Member

City, State:
    Estero, FL
    2013 Explorer Limited

Was this ever resolved? My 2013 is doing the same thing and I cant seem to figure it out short of replacing the mechanism.

15. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Hi Chris. I was going to send the member a PM and ask him to post a follow-up but the last time he was active here was April 2016. Can you isolate the noise at all to see if it may be coming from the strut or Actuator (motor)? I would guess perhaps the actuator but that's just a guess. It is part #9 in the following illustration; Lift Gate for 2013 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
    Try listening closely to that part when operating the 'gate'. Good luck.

Peter

16. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    Mine tends to make that creeking noise going up and down as well.

BTW, it sounds like your door is pressing a little too hard against the striker--you might want to pull in your rubber stops on the door a bit. I'm picking that up from that extra actuator noise at the end--if I spin in the stoppers a little bit, you won't hear any of that.