Locating the remote keypad code on a SPORT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locating the remote keypad code on a SPORT

ncranchero

Co-moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 F150 XLT 4x4
Depending on the year of your SPORT you will find the code in one of two places. The 2001 model year seems to be particularly difficult to pinpoint the location of "the box". Hopefully this is conclusive and will help those who are trying to locate the code themselves.

I "think" this is the deciding factor on the location of the module.There are two names for the module that controls the remote/keypad/locks.

Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) Module—Module-Controlled Vehicles Built Before 7/24/2000
This is located in the rear body behind the trim panel, as some here have noted.

Vehicle Security Module—Module-Controlled Vehicles Built After 7/24/2000
This is located in the dash behind the passenger air bag, as others have noted.

So, build date of 7/24/2000 seems to be the split.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome to have this stickied. My '01 Sport in fact had it behind the passenger side airbag.

My 2001 Sport also had it behind the passenger air bag, but it's build date is September 11, 2000.

My 2001 Sport also had it behind the passenger air bag, but it's build date is September 11, 2000.

As it should be being built after 7/24/00.

Awesome to have this stickied. My '01 Sport in fact had it behind the passenger side airbag.

Glad it's being useful.

My sport was built in late june 2000, and the module with sticker/code was indeed located in the jack storage area, just like for the 4 doors.

Scott T.

I have a 99 sport, there was a guy that told me my code was on the computer. Do you know if thats true? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

do you have to remove the dash to find the code? if so what is the easiest way to do this with out messing anything up.

I didn't I just removed the vent across the top of the dash (it pops right up) then looked through the windshield from the outside on the passenger side and I was able to see the code clearly and wrote it down, and been using it since. Didn't take but 5-10 minutes to do it :)

Thanks a ton been trying to find it for awhile and finally got it awesome

on my 2001 sport built 3-2000 it is in the back inside the jack panel, thanks for the good info!

Correct info for 1999 Sport as well. Thanks!

Hard to see on the side of the module, fairly close to the panel, but with an inspection mirror, the code was revealed. :D

i located the code but nothing happens when buttons are activated on my 97 sport. keyless and alarm work. any suggestions?

There are six wires that connect the keypad in the door to the RAP module that controls keyless entry. Most likely one of more of those wires is broken in the flexible boot between the driver's door and the body. Broken wires in that boot are a very common issue for these trucks.

To repair: There is a 10mm capture bolt in the top of the connector. Turning it will push the lower portion of the connector down until it releases. Cut the wire tie off the top of the boot, peel back the boot as far as you can, find the broken wires. Splice in a 2-3 inches or so of additional wire on each one; solder and insulate the repair(s); pull the boot back up; fasten with a new wire tie; position connector and use capture bolt to draw back together. Helps to have small hands (I don't and managed it, but if I had to do again I would unbolt and remove door after releasing the connector). Good luck.

that was the problem... thanks. working now and got the auto lock feature off. more than once when backing out of my drive i get out and shut the gate and found myself locked out with the truck running....

My 03 sport was behind the passenger airbag . just pop the defrost vent and peek from the outside window ull see it

Is it typed very small on a sticker? That's all I see. Tried the 5 digit number on there but no luck. You just hit the right sequence and it should unlock right? I pulled a little white sticker out from back there. Bar code with 5 digits then 3 digits. Klb3 in bigger font. Key pad lights up and van lock it but the code I think I found isn't working

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 95 ex eb will the code be in the rear jack area I was in there the other but I didn't see any thing like whats in the photos ill have to look again tommorow

Back