Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking for Speaker Upgrade 2017 Sport

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by mwittman77, July 16, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. mwittman77

mwittman77 New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    17 Explorer Sport 4WD
    I apologize that this has most likely already been asked. When searching the forum I found descriptions and details of audio upgrades that some folks have done, but I wasn't looking to do a complete high-end component replacement from A-Z like some of the threads.

Basically, I'm just wanting to know if anyone has done a simple speaker replacement and if so, how much did it help with rounding out the sound of the factory system?

Also, and this may be something I could search for and find the answer but I'll ask anyway, what is the factory speaker layout for the Standard Sony system? My thoughts are basically just doing specific speaker upgrades and going from there. I don't want to lose storage space to a sub at this point, so factory speaker replacement is my first choice.

Thanks for any info or links you can provide!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Stephen Cannon

Stephen Cannon Active Member

City, State:
    DFW METROPLEX
    2018 Explorer Sport
    Although I can not speak specifically for the Explorer since this is my first one I can say that in the Taurus (X3, 2 SEL NON SONY and 1 SHO SONY) the speaker replacement was a VERY GOOD START on overall sound system improvement. It was and is still my considered opinion that the factory stereo system itself was pretty decent, the weak link was the door speakers. I finally figured out on the 2nd SEL that I could add some 6X9 to the rear deck and tap into the rear odor wiring as a power source. I went with Kenwood 6X8 on the doors and Kenwood 6X( rear deck and it was night and day difference. I did wind up getting a Kenwood low profile under seat combination SUB/AMP to increase quality but just changing the cheap OEM speakers to a decent set of good name brand speakers was a very good start. I suspect that will probably be the same case. I have a set of 6X8's that I didn't get around to adding to my Expedition so I will try them in the Explorer.

4. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    Did you ever get this figured out?

I've been interested in getting a bit more out of the sound quality but the handful of shops I've visited have quoted me $1k+ for a complete overhaul of the system instead of just replacing the speakers.

5. karlos2

karlos2 Active Member

98 Explorer
    Try to contact crutchfield. They can give suggestions that will fit your budget.

6. mwittman77

mwittman77 New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, OH
    17 Explorer Sport 4WD
    No, I must have been going through a phase at the time or something, cause as of late I've been digging the sound. I do still contemplate upgrading the subwoofer, but haven't looked into it too deep yet. I've heard some folks just replace the factory with a slightly better quality woofer without doing an amp, and it adds some improvement. I'd think anything high-end though will require an amplifier though.

7. MM07

MM07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MA
    2018 Explorer Limited
    Just did mine, big difference.

2018 Explorer Speaker Install