Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Misfire safety

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Phase 1, October 1, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

With single cylinder misfire do I

1. Drive on it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Replace single plug

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Replace all plugs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phase 1

Phase 1 New Member

City, State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 Explorer Sport
    Callsign:
    KE5PNR
    So heading home from work today I got a check engine light and pulled into the local auto parts store and had it ran. Code was P0303 which is cylinder 3 misfire. Already had plugs and wires ordered for routine maitanence but won’t be here until the 10th. Issue is I need it to drive to work each day (20 miles round trip roughly) until they’re in. How bad is it to drive on it until they’re in? If it is bad can I just change one until the new set is in or does it need to be all 6 right away?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Could be bad depending on how bad it is. Is it audible? I drove home on a significant misfire in my Escape and shattered the honeycomb in the cats. Very costly mistake.

4. Phase 1

Phase 1 New Member

City, State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    99 Explorer Sport
    Callsign:
    KE5PNR
    It was at most a mild shudder, honestly think it was intermittent. I swapped the plug last night and cleared the codes and now it it's running fairly smooth. I'm thinking that should work until the new parts are in. That old plug was a little wet and was gapped at .050.