Question on spark plugs for nitrous system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on spark plugs for nitrous system

I just ordered my zex nitrous system for my sport trac. I will be getting it all wired up, but not firing it off until I get the rest of the mods done to use it safely. I bought an air/fuel gauge, and plan to pick up a bottle pressure gauge as well. I am also sending my chip in to be reflashed for running with and without the nitrous, and the last mod I want to do is change the spark plugs out.

I have read up on getting copper plugs, but wanted to ask about the zex plugs they have available for using with their kits. Any recommendations, warnings or feedback on what brand plug I should get?

I am planning on leaving the stock fuel pump alone, and will be running a 75 shot only. I also picked up a poweraid TBS, although I've heard feedback that it doesn't do squat, I got it for cheap and wanted to see for myself since I have heard about as many positives as negatives on them.

One more question... should I bother with a bottle warmer here in Vegas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vegastrac said:
I just ordered my zex nitrous system for my sport trac. I will be getting it all wired up, but not firing it off until I get the rest of the mods done to use it safely. I bought an air/fuel gauge, and plan to pick up a bottle pressure gauge as well. I am also sending my chip in to be reflashed for running with and without the nitrous, and the last mod I want to do is change the spark plugs out.

I have read up on getting copper plugs, but wanted to ask about the zex plugs they have available for using with their kits. Any recommendations, warnings or feedback on what brand plug I should get?

I am planning on leaving the stock fuel pump alone, and will be running a 75 shot only. I also picked up a poweraid TBS, although I've heard feedback that it doesn't do squat, I got it for cheap and wanted to see for myself since I have heard about as many positives as negatives on them.

One more question... should I bother with a bottle warmer here in Vegas?
Yes get a bottle warmer, use NGK IridiumTR6IX-3689 and gap them down to 35-40

vegastrac said:
Bill, are you running nitrous as well? I remember you discussing it, but I never saw for sure if you hooked up your kit. If so, how's everything working?
My son is running a 75 shot in his 01 trac (wet) no problems, but he has a manual tranny, if you are auto that is your weak link IMO with a nitrous program, your engine, being an 01 will have no problem.
Mine being an 03 has a differant piston (hypereutectic) as such they are unforgiving with any detonation, pre ignition problems, thus a nitrous program is problimatic as far as I am concerned.
At this time I am getting close to 30 over OEM RWHP with the mods I have.
Am very happy with what I have, I feel that it's about max for the drivetrain as it is, the trac is what it is, am not going to push the river any furthur.
Good luck
Bill

put a good copper plug in it. use a ngktr6 that is the plug i would run in my truck if i had stock heads and nitrous.

BlK is correct, copper will work just fine, but the iridiums will last alot longer, only takes 10 minutes to change a set of plugs in a trac:) so it's no biggie, either, or, will serve you well

Yes, what I said,get the book by Joe Pittitt, title is nitrous Oxide, www.cartechbooks.com, make darn sure you have all your sh$t in order before you use NOX

it is recomended by most nos companies to use plan copper plugs when using nitrous. i also prefer to use these plugs because i like to change my plugs alot and do not feel like spending more then 2 dollars on a plug. just make shure if you do the plugs you use one range colder then stock.

Back