radio/lift gate glass/fuel level/alarm problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radio/lift gate glass/fuel level/alarm problems

pinkLaces120

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Yesterday I dropped off my bf in Dallas, and of course as soon as i got back to Houston my Explorer started doing some weird things. I'm not sure if they are related or several problems that just happened at the same time. The drive to Dallas and back was fine, but when I got home the problems started.

* right after filling up with gas my fuel level gage showed empty, and then slowly moved up to full about 15ish minutes. The "check gas cap" light came on but I triple checked it and it's on tight.

*I got home, turned the car off and took out the key and the dome lights didn't come on. I opened the driver's door and the radio stayed on. I checked it after about 20 minutes and the radio had turned off.

*I pushed the button on the remote twice to lock the doors and engage the alarm and the doors locked but there was no beep (or double beep like when a door is open).

*I went to the back hatch with all doors unlocked and the hatch would open. The glass would not open when pressing the button on the remote or pressing the button underneath to open it.

I want to attempt to find the problem(s) before taking it in to have it diagnosed ($90) Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
pinkLaces120
Cypress, TX

Check battery

I had some of those same problems when my battery was dying last summer. Especially the key fob and other stuff. Go have the battery checked out at autozone or somewhere that will do it for free and see how it checks out.

Thanks! I will do that today. New problem now, when my driver's door is open and I push the power lock button on the door all of the doors lock but then the driver's door unlocks. I am able to close all of the doors and lock it up with the remote though. I really hope it's an easy fix that I can do myself, like the battery. I will update after having the battery checked tonight.

I'm not sure, but check your owners manual for door locking 'options' and how to set them. I think you can override it to work the way you want. It's been many years since I've had to deal with it.

Back