• Register Today It's free!

Rear glass keeps opening itself

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
2006 eb v8, it only happens occasionally but my rear glass keeps popping open, i cant tell if its from bumps or if there could be an electrical system issue, i have 181k so that might make a difference, unplugged my 12v charger just to be sure, and it still did it, its happened twice on the freeway, and twice in a 35mph road. any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have an extra FOB then I would use that for a while and see if it still happens.

mine did it for quite awhile I even disconnected the power from the actuator and it still did it..... I flushed out the lock mechanism with a can of wd-40 and shot in some silicone spray and it has not done it in over a year I wish I would have done that years ago but I couldnt figure out a pattern on when and how it was popping open there simply was no similarity with each event and you will want to remove the plastic if you go butt crazy with the flush

Okay, I remember the first time it did it I checked it out and someone had put a piece of electrical tape on the bar that goes into the latch for some reason. I have a 2nd fob but I'm just gonna go spray it out and clean it, hopefully that helps. 181k miles and every day I hear a new sound or have a new interior problem haha. Guess that's how old vehicles are, just seems like Ford cheaped out on theinterior of the explorer unfortunately

... Guess that's how old vehicles are, just seems like Ford cheaped out on theinterior of the explorer unfortunately

You have the Eddie Bauer edition and you think Ford cheaped out on that? These are excellent vehicles that will last a long time if properly maintained, and to expect not to have little issues at 180,x.. isn't realistic. My 06 has 130,x.. and yes, small things start to go wrong. Nothing lasts forever without upkeep.

As far as electrical problems and the plastic everywhere yes it is cheapy like most vehicles of the era. I don't really care that much I'm just considering it as a reason for my many other problems in the interior. i do expect there to be problems, but not as many as there are. engine and trans are great though, i care more about that.

As far as electrical problems and the plastic everywhere yes it is cheapy like most vehicles of the era. I don't really care that much I'm just considering it as a reason for my many other problems in the interior. i do expect there to be problems, but not as many as there are. engine and trans are great though, i care more about that.

and the engine and trans would be the biggest complaint if you didnt have the 4.6 even though they still have their fair share of problems just not timing chains I just wish they could have put the 6r60 or 6r80 behind the 4.0

Back