Replacing the Windshield Wiper Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Windshield Wiper Switch

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
I've been having problems with the windshield wipers self actuating.

There was no pattern to when it was happening, so it was impossible to tell if it was the switch, or some software issue. So, I decided to just replace the switch. It is a $40 or so part at list price and can be purchased at a discount online.

Replacing the switch is about a 2 on a 1-10 scale. There are 3 7mm head screws on the underside of the steering wheel. If you have an adjustable steering wheel, pull it as far out and down as possible after removing the screws.
i-g2KgckC-M.jpg

The plastic cover splits horizontally. On each side, it has snap connectors at the front corners and along the sides and a hook connector at the rear. I rotated the steering wheel to access each side more easily. After the snap connectors release, rotate the top cover back and set the bottom half aside.
i-8Lcpwdw-M.jpg

The switch has two T10 bolts holding it in . Remove them and slide the switch out to the side. The bolts have been removed in this picture, but they are above and below the sticker.
i-dHXvvX2-M.jpg

The new one goes in reverse order. Just make sure to engage the hook fastener before rotating the halves back together.

This was on a 2011 XLT. May not be the same on a Base or Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the new wiper switch I installed would not select the high speed wipe.
The parts guy at the dealer that sold it to me told me the part has a 2 year guarantee.

Got another last night. Will replace it this morning and see how this one works.

The replacement switch works fine. Will do delay wipe and select the low and high speed circuits.

The one difference I noted was the first replacement switch had "Auto" imprinted on the stalk. The second does not. The box was marked correctly, but now I'm wondering if I received an incorrect switch the first time.

IMG_2491_zps1stefl0t.jpg
Been there, done that .:chug:

IMG_2490_zps0dis3sct.jpg
IMG_2493_zpsmwpuxxky.jpg

Yes, it's a 'Limited'.

YesQUOTE="peterk9, post: 3612591, member: 163604"]Is that switch for the 'Auto', Rain Sensing wipers?

Peter[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's what I thought but I just wanted it confirmed here so that if someone goes by the part number shown in the picture that they'll know which switch it is for.

so the switch with the auto didnt work when replacing the regular switch? Meaning did it work normally wth the exception of auto.

Back