SOHC Engine Removal/Rebuild/Install - Done! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Engine Removal/Rebuild/Install - Done!

This spring lock set works well for fuel/ac lines.
Screenshot_2019-04-05-08-05-59.png

You probably can wire ac/power steering pump out of the way. However you may have to remove power steering oil cooler so you don't damage it lifting engine.

Once oil dip stick bracket nut removed comes out easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This spring lock set works well for fuel/ac lines.View attachment 169043
You probably can wire ac/power steering pump out of the way. However you may have to remove power steering oil cooler so you don't damage it lifting engine.

Once oil dip stick bracket nut removed comes out easily.

makuloco said a 3/8" disconnect for the fuel line fitting. I'll try the metal tool I have first. I never have much luck with the plastic ones, though I think I have a set of those too.

I recharge my ac myself, more than once and the plastic set is fine. It doesn't damage the spring inside the fitting

I recharge my ac myself, more than once and the plastic set is fine. It doesn't damage the spring inside the fitting

Did you use a vacuum pump and replace the drier/accumulator before recharging? My high pressure hose coming from the compressor is pretty wet so it couldn't be a shame to discharge it.

Vacuumed system added oil, with new drier and evaporator.

Evaporator, had pin hole in old one, a leak that was really hard to find.

Yeh, I changed all O rings and valves. Re charged system 3 times over 4 months until found it. Put evaporator in bucket of water, applied air pressure and found the problem.

@david4451 - Did you use the following OTC tools for for cam timing and cam follower removal? If necessary I'll have to buy these, but I'll see if I can borrow them, because they'll cost me over $300 U.S. and I guaranty I'll never need to use them again once this job is done. There is a less expensive cam service kit, but I don't think I want to take a chance with it (too important to get this perfect). Also, I don't see anyone offering a Felpro full gasket set for the 4.0L SOHC. Who did you get your gaskets from? Buying gaskets individually can be expensive, as compared to buying a full set. Did you use a Motorcraft gasket set?

Cam follower removal/valve compressor tool OTC 7928:
(This looks like what fordtechmakuloco used in his video, but I have to watch it again to verify the part number).
s-l1600.jpg

Cam Service Kit OTC 6488:
s-l1600.png

Below is the most complete gasket set I found (for 2002 Job 2 engine)
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8006904&cc=1385355&jsn=496

Hi Phil, I used the OTC6488 cam timing set, did the job no problems.

As for the cam follower removal tool, I used one shown in screenshot below. It's tricky to use on front right and rear left valves and to get it in you have to rotate cam shaft a bit. On all valves you have take pin out and assemble in place and put pin back in. I reground all valves and new valve seals.

Gaskets come in two sets from Felpro, head gasket set and bottom end set (conversion gasket set), no Motorcraft sets I've seen.

It got expensive for me as no one to borrow tools from. You may also find you need a rear seal and sleeve crankshaft tool. Screen shot below
Screenshot_2019-04-07-06-08-47.png
Screenshot_2019-04-07-06-35-37.png

David, In searching my local auto parts store's loaner tools on-line, it looks like O'Reilly's may loan the OTC valve compressor tool, so that will save me a little money. In the tear-down video I watched from fordtechmakuloco (FTMUL for future reference) he discusses the 2 valves where the tool wont fit and how to get around that. No one lists the OTC Cam Service Set. Next week I plan to ask my mechanic buddy if he has cam service kit and if he's willing to loan it to me. If I have to buy the OTC Cam Service Kit I suppose I can sell it when I'm done and re-coupe a little of my money.

Yesterday I spend some time putting together a list of tools and parts I'll need to acquire for this job. I included replacing one cylinder head, a new water pump, an aluminum T-stat housing, gasket/seal sets, Motorcraft SOHC timing set, new head bolts and more minor stuff (like sealant, a new oil pressure switch, oil, oil filter, antifreeze and a new battery). In my worse case scenario it looks like I'm currently pushing $1700 U.S. (plus all my free labor). That probably seems reasonable to you, due to what you have to spend to get parts in the Philippians, but it seems like a lot of money to me. This will push my total investment in this vehicle to-date to around $4400, not figuring in the 5 years of service I've gotten out of it. For that much money I could have bought a super clean, low-mileage, much newer Sport Trac (or F150) and who knows if my trans will hold up for the future. I hope this project is worth it. I kinda wish I'd never bought this vehicle, but I must admit I've enjoyed the journey in fixing it up (keeps me off the streets at night... LOL). This truck reminds me if how I used to feel about a boat I once owed. They say a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into, and that the 2 happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.

Well, time to go turn some wrenches.

Update:
Spend about another 2 hours on the engine today. All electrical and vacuum lines numbered and disconnected from the engine, PCV line and its coolant lines disconnected from the intake near the throttle body, all eight intake manifold bolts out, intake removed (and the foam bag that sits under it - noise reduction?), ECU and grounds disconnected.

I'm now looking at the big shiny stainless steel fuel line connection (looks like a stainless steel check valve) between the engine and the fuel filter (I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about later). At first glance I don't see how this thing comes apart. @david4451, you said you used a 3/8" plastic disconnect tool on yours, but I don't see anyplace to use the tool on mine. Mind you, I didn't get a good look at both sides of it yet. FTMUL said to leave this fitting for last in case fuel dripped out while you're heating up the EGR tube nut on the exhaust header with a torch, but he never showed how he disconnected it.

Fuel line connection is disconnected with plastic " tool ". The spring inside is spread by tool, pushing it in to fitting, holding it there and pulling apart. They are called spring lock connections. Leaning over left hand wing on truck tool is inserted into left side of fuel line connection. Can be tricky, once you've done it a couple of times its not so difficult. It's also requires quite a bit of pressure to reassemble.

Pulling the engine and fixing it is a big big job, for us old young guys even more so. There is a great deal of satisfaction once it's back in and running well. As you say it keeps you off the streets, it will also keep you awake and affect your bank balance!
From my point of view, I've no intention of buying any other vehicle and I know this ST like the back of my hand. Any maintenance problems are quickly diagnosed and fixed.

This is the thing I'm referring to (center of photo). The left side of it seems to large in diameter to fit a 3/8's tool over it. I need to get a better look at it from the left side.
thumbnail

Here's a pic of the top of the engine now. Getting there little by little.
thumbnail

Images didn't show.

Pictures don't work sorry

Images didn't show.

My image(s) did show? They show on my laptop. You may need to add an extension, but I just copied images and pasted. See if you can view either if these.

thumbnail

Below is a similar image of a Dorman barbed replacement (I think).
s-l1600.jpg

Also, I assume you replaced your oil pump. What brand did you install? I see the Melling is popular, but it requires their pick-up tube/screen, which nearly doubles the price.

That Dorman image is what I'm talking about. That's the male part, female part goes onto that fitting from the left.

I didn't change my oil pump, I took it apart and all was good.
IMG_20180621_220730.jpg

I'm following this good reading thanks

Nice to see you on here @david4451

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back