Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

Hi,

I'm about to hook up an aux trans filter to the rubber hoses that go to the cooler in front of the radiator. Which way does the fluid flow; from cooler to transmission or from cooler to radiator cooler?

Thanks,
T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this OEM Ford filter kit on ebay

If I didn't have one on mine, this may be a good and resonably priced option. I didn't know Ford made such a kit.
Dead Link Removed

TLR, it's been so long that I can not recall. Maybe Aldive or Gimp will. I did the milk bottle test. Pull the plug wires, run hoses into two milk bottles, have the wife watch, and crank the engine for a second or two. (not any longer...)

Chris, I saw that one before, like using an oil filter, the ford kit use a fuel filter in-line. I decided to use the oil filter route due to ease of change and more surface area on the filter. It would work fine but you will have to change it more frequently.

I found the correct hose by undooing both, putting in a pan and watching the pumping of the fluid.

Good luck,,,,

Hank,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I changed the trans. fluid last weekend and had fluid coming out both ways! I disconnected the rubber hose from the cooler that goes to the transmission. I thought there was a little more fluid coming out of the cooler though.

The generic diagram that came with the kit shows fluid flowing from the tranny to the radiator then to the cooler and back to the tranny. I don't trust this diagram. The instructions state that while the engine is running, feel each of the lines. The cooler one is the one on its way back to the tranny.

Anyone else performed this recently? I really want to be certain about this!

Gimp: Just read your post after I posted this. Yep, the aux cooler is on the passenger side of the radiator. I agree with your observations as I noted above. The instructions for my kit recommend placing it before the cooler for best performance like you did. Thanks for your input.

tlr

Update:

I performed the install yesterday. Everything went very smooth. I mounted it similar to aldive (according to his photo). However, the mounting surface on my X was plastic so I reinforced it with some sheet metal to limit vibration of the filter assembly.

Thanks to everyone's advice on the fluid flow direction. I went for a good long drive last night to let it heat up and the filter got warm (it was 35 degrees here in MN). So I assume fluid is flowing. I placed mine in between the radiator and aux cooler, with "in" from the radiator and "out" to the aux cooler.

With 25K on my X and a fresh fluid change, what mileage should I change the filter first? I assume it will catch a lot of crap right away, even with fresh fluid since I didn't drop the pan and change the screen.

Thanks,
TLR

I would recommend changing after 100 miles.

Cut your old filter and report what crud it captured.

Good luck.....

what a great idea !!

I just ordered the standard perma-cool remote filter kit !!
can't wait till this arrives.

Well......I had a local shop install my setup today,and by not doing it myself.....I have this little bit of doubt that the hoses aren't properly directed.I just couldn't do this type of work yet,{my arm isn't healed from surgery yet}
shop charged me only $40.00,but I'm going to take a look tommorow sometime.

he mounted the filter where I asked him to mount it,but I couldn't use the perma-cool filter that came with the kit{I went with a thinner and a little shorter filter} due to the fact that the tire could hit it when fully turned ?,I also have 1.5" wheel spacers...and it still would have hit it.

the tranny shifts,and the filter gets hot,I just need to be sure.I had the system flushed for the 2nd time{1st time @ 20k when I also did the screen}but this time I didn't do the screen since I didn't see anything in it the 1st time it was done.
the truck now has 46k.

Good deal Bill!

If the filter is hot and you have driven more than 100yds you can put your fears to rest.

The shorty filter will still be fine, I would just change it a little earlier than the recommendataion of the large filter.

Keep us posted.

hg

I'll take some in the morning

before, yet another day of phys/thrpy.

and I do feel better now :) :) :) knowing it must be on the right way !
thanks guy's

Threading of Temp Sender?

Does anyone know off hand the threading of the Temp sending plug. I am thinking of getting a tranny temp gauge.

Anyone have one of these on the remote filter yet. Pics would be great!

Re: Threading of Temp Sender?

Originally posted by Fischer
Does anyone know off hand the threading of the Temp sending plug. I am thinking of getting a tranny temp gauge.

Anyone have one of these on the remote filter yet. Pics would be great!

I "think" it is 1/8 NPT.

Look at the threads on the filters for some pics.

Clairify....

I was thinking of pictures of mounting the temp gauge.

Clairify....

I was thinking of pictures of mounting the temp gauge.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the filter.

I too would love to see some pics of the gague installation.

I have decided to go with Dekota Digital tranny temp gauge and mount in a custom fit place in the console.

That sounds nice. I can't decide if I want digital or analog. I really like this one:

Though I think that the Digital one will allow more of a inconspicuous mounting area that I can just kind of lean over and glance at. Real quick to read err I guess they both are.

idunno

Attachments

• atm-4451.jpg
    atm-4451.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,802

This is the one I have purchased....

Attachments

• trannytemp.jpg
    trannytemp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,795

Oohh that is nice. Wheredya get it. Did it come with the sending unit and if so did it bolt right up?

I have only seen green and red readouts. I like the aqua color. I think that is the one I want if I can't get the white face one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oohh that is nice. Wheredya get it. Did it come with the sending unit and if so did it bolt right up?

I have only seen green and red readouts. I like the aqua color. I think that is the one I want if I can't get the white face one.

Order directly from http://dakotadigital.com/products.cfm?Category=133

Back