How strong and durable is a sport trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How strong and durable is a sport trac?

thewhitesaleen

Reaction score
I like sport tracs! I was going to buy a 4 dr jeep soon, but I like the 01-05 sport tracs alot better. But I need to know how they really performed in general? Are they strong? Can they handle off roading? Are big tires a problem? .. Thanks everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was a while ago....

322402.jpg

Since then, I know he added some meatier wheels and tires, a roof rack, tube bumpers, and a bunch of other goodies... Can't seem to find the pics at the moment though....

-Joe

Sport tracs are alot tougher then a Jeep wranger that is for sure, they may not be as capable of a wheeler right out of the box, but comparing the Jeep to the Sport trac brings up some interesting finds.

First off the Jeep uses a dana 30 front end and a dana 44 rear, these axles are WEAK compared to the sport tracs front Dana 35 IFS and rear Ford 31 spline 8.8.
The new Wrangler does not have the old tried and true straight six anymore, instead now I believe they have the 3.7L V engine from the Liberty? I am a not a Jeep guy so I am just going on here say here. IMO this is the worst thing that ever happened to the Wrangler, the 4.0L straight six made alot of torque. The sport trac will have the SOHC 4.0L Ford which makes V8 power and torque.

The only weak link in the sport trac would be the auto trans, but IMO its a good transmission.

The Jeep of course is coil spring 4 link front and rear and of course they are great trail rigs, but the Sport trac can be built up just like any Gen II explorer to give the Jeep a run for its money on any trail.

(pppstt get the ST)

PoseRock2.jpg

SThill2.jpg

Only thing, the long wheelbase hurts a little on breakovers. I added the fuel tank skidplate from Ford, torsion twist, shackles, and 32" tires to get me about 3" more ground clearance. Has factory L/S rear.
Strong like bull, run like deer.

I've had my sport trac since new in 01 and although I haven't done any REALLY extreme stuff, it's been through some TDS trails in CA, my first Moab trip last year and Chinaman's Gulch (in CO). I couldn't agree more that the biggest hinderence is the LWB at 127.8" or so it is long, (although rear pax enjoy the legroom! :) ). I agree that the ability to stuff 32x11.50x15 tires (with only a TT and shackle lift) rocks as well. I haven't been disappointed by mine a bit.

Add some sliders and skidplates, make sure to get the 4.10 gears and you'll be stoked!!! ;)

My 02 trac out performs my cousins Liberty they are both stock with 31" tires. The problem I have is the stupid plastic on the rockers that fall off if a rock even looks at them funny. Can I get rock sliders or do I have to build them? With the sway bars disconnected it really articulates well and with L/S in the rear it had no problems. Also I noticed the tranny heated up while in 4 low when I was crawling around, the problem was solved by my dumb-ass turning off the overdrive. First time with auto.Great for towing my tent trailer out to the trails too.

I couldn't find sliders already made by any company so I pulled some pictures and computer drawings of some sliders made by a company for Toyota Taco's and went to a local shop and had them fab them. The ones I have are 2x2" .25 wall square tubing running just under the grey (tupperware) side skirts... then I have .25" wall round tube running outward and canted up-ward (30 degrees or so) with steel plate steps... (the round tubes are outrigger style). I'm not an elite so I can't post pictures but send me a PM if you'd like I can email you some pics. :)

Nice photo John... from back in the day :D Sooner or later I'll drop the $; it's just one of the last things I think of when I've got it.

I'll look forward to wheeling with you again one of these days... can you swing Moab this year?? Or our soon to be planned CO run (aka Post-Moab/CO summer run)? I hope you and your wife are well.

Back to the thread; the sport trac is surprisingly tough... I was SERIOUSLY thinking of selling mine and getting a Land Rover Discovery series I... but my last trip to Moab and the daily battering of my trac (over the last two weeks through all the snow and crap up here in Denver); reminded me of just how capable a slightly modified one can be. As a second on the towing note; I strapped and towed an S-10 on 35" Super Swampers down two blocks and up a small hill 2 weeks ago in 5-6"+ of snow (he was running in 2wd with an L/S in the rear. I only used 4-lo to break him loose then switched to 4-hi for the rest. He was impressed :D

I have an '01. The first in WV in May 2000. I now have 270,000 miles on it. I have showed it no mercy and it has never left me stranded. I have had the normal wear and tear items replaced but, overall, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned over 60 vehicles.

What they all say ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Get the Sport Trac. you will not regret it.

Paul

This is a really old thread. I am sure that he has already bought what ever car he wanted.

That being said, just thought I would lists some facts about the 4.0L in the old jeep vs the 3.8L in the new jeep vs the SOHC 4.0L in the Sport Trac.

Ford SOHC 4.0L:
205 HP
240 LB-FT

Jeep 4.0L:
190 HP
235 LB-FT

Jeep 3.8L:
202 HP
237 LB-FT

If you are just looking at max output with out looking at the RMP range then they are all roughly in the same ball park. That being said, I don't think that you can even compare the two vehicles.

The Ford beats them all though.

Back