headers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headers

Not 100% sure if this is the section this belongs in, but I will ask.

I have a 1997 5.0 explorer. I have an exhaust leak which I believe is coming from the tube from the exhaust manifold to the EGR (passenger side). Anyway, I am due for inspection pretty soon, so I dont have a whole lot of time with this. Anyway, I was wondering how much of a pain in the ass installing headers will be on these trucks? I figure is I have to mess around in there, I might as well install headers. My two choices are basically A) Have local mech fix the EGR tube (which may turn out to be a cracked or leaky ex manifold, or B) Buying Headers and installing them myself. I am wanting to add some type of forced induction in the semi near future, in the way of a remote turbo setup, or the BD-11A Supercharger kit. I figure installing headers would really help support the forced induction, but I dont want to do it if either the gains with headers are minimal, or it is a real headache. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Install is not easy, but not anything that can't be done over a weekend in your driveway. I did a write up on my install-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153944

I suspect your leak is from stamped metal manifolds, it seems they all leak over time, all on the passenger side. They cannot be repaired effectively, members here have welded them and they just don't hold.

If you have cast manifolds, then the EGR could be your culprit.

The headers are well worth the effort, especially if you want forced induction.

www.torquemonsterheaders.com

Bob, the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful. He also gives a discount to EF members, be sure to ask about it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the headers--you are going to need to change the manifold anyway-might as well do it right.

If you are good with tools, you should have no problems.

thank you for the links and info/suggestions! They look really nice and I am sure are worth the money, but 700 bucks is 700 bucks! Any other headers available for less????

...for a price comparison, look up headers at http://borla.com ...t.m.'s are relatively inexpensive for the quality...;)

...i tried looking up your vehicle there and it shows no parts listed yet at borla...they run 1000 bucks up...and as mountaineer green said, no others are worthwhile...the t.m.'s are on several X's on here and there are a few threads on their installs and updates of what changes in performance they have made with their trucks...
...i have borla's on my truck and it's a v6...i have not yet run acrossed anyone else running a header on their v8 that seem as happy about them as the guy's with their t.m.'s...:D

FYI, equal length shorty headers are not worth the trouble. Mustang owners learned that lesson hundreds of times, the hard way. The extra expense and massive increase in difficulty is not worth the extra 4-5hp gained. Explorer's do not have a choice of headers, except the FMS and TM headers.

For an 86-95 Mustang there were probably forty different header choices, of all sizes and length. We have to settle for the short list of two. I require 1.625" headers for my small block Ford's, at a minimum. Good luck,

...roflmao, i was wondering how long it would take to reference those pics...:D

...cdw6212r, i take it you are referencing borla's, correct??? just verifying as it is not clear in the post...:scratch:

The only two headers for our 302's are 1.5" in size, just about right for an engine of 250 cubic inches, not enough for a 302. Plus the potential to more than double the ingested air mass, not enough. But I wish you all well, good luck.

The only two headers for our 302's are 1.5" in size, just about right for an engine of 250 cubic inches, not enough for a 302. Plus the potential to more than double the ingested air mass, not enough. But I wish you all well, good luck.

TM's are 1 5/8"

...i'm guessing he misread my post #7 somehow...:scratch:

I assumed you meant Borla makes headers for the V6, and not the 302? Jon, unless some odd thing changed since last year, the TM's have always been 1.5" primaries, too small.

Todd started making 1.625" headers, and stopped to go with a 351W and 1.75" headers. He finished those 1.75" headers, they looked great, but those are a little too much for most hot 302's. I asked Bob long ago if he would do better headers, and I learned then that he is stuck on the small pipe and efficiency, stock 302 and rpm range theory. Long before the Explorer had a 302 Mustang guys had beaten the subject of headers to death. They know that 1.5" headers are fine for stock 302's, and any performance small block needs at least 1.625" primaries. They also learned that the difference in primary length is insignificant except for all out racing. Unequal length headers are perfectly adequate for street smallblocks, beyond that the next step should be full length headers.

Thus a log type 1.625" header would be better than any 1.5" header for a serious performance V8 Explorer. Just my opinion though, good night.

thank you all for the replies! As of now, like a lot of people here I am sure, the TM Headers are out of my budget. I may possibly try and make a pair.

Attachments

• cracked header 001.jpg
    cracked header 001.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 474
  • cracked header 002.jpg
    cracked header 002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 385

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, those are good looking headers, LOL. Are those the high flow models? Night,

Back