Rear coil swap?

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
I'm thinking about loosing the rear leaves and building some kind of a link setup. I have no other choice then buy a custom leaf pack, and a link setup might be about the same price for me to build myself. I just don't know exactually what design to go with. Either a complete 4 link setup with no panhard (move the gastank) or a three link and a panhard(keep the gastank where it is). The 4 link is what I would rather do, but I still need to drive this thing to the trail so it needs to be somewhat streetable. so how would this setup work on the road? and I really don't want to deal with moving the gastank because I don't have a good place for one.
For the three link I would have two links on one side and one on the other with a panhard. this setup I know can be driven on the road since most rear coiled trucks run something similar. What would be the better side to mount the panhard to the frame if the fromt is mounted to the drivers side?

What design would work better? I need to drive this thing on the street just to get to the trail for a while now so I must keep this in mind. I want to keep it coils(not decided what coils) because it's a lot cheaper for now. And I have a buddy that works at ruffstuffspecialties.com so I can get bracketry from there. And if anyone has input on what joints to use. so lets see where this goes...thanks

here are a couple examples.
4 link
4_link_002_small_1_.jpg

3 link
3link_main_1_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might look into some Aerostar coils (rear). I've seen quite a few set ups using those coils on Pirate. On the rear panhard bar, I don't think you have to worry
about which side it mounts on as you don't have steering linkage to deal with.
Personally i'd keep it as long and flat as possible like the the front but that probably doesn't matter either.

Me are Froader have been discussing this for a while now

Its very possible. Ill be cutting the frame right behind the gas tank and creating a small section of tube frame for nitrogen shock mounts. Gas tank will be built about the tube frame scetion

I like how the f150 tank sits compared to how the bii tank sits. The departer angle is better, plus it can't get any worse then my long ass shackles. I drag those if I drop off a frickin curb. I defently like the idea of the 4 link more. So can I use all the same stuff with that f-150 tank from my stock tank? And how will road manners be with the 4 link and coils?

Are you just gonna link it on coils or make it a truggie

Well I have to be able to drive this thing on the road to the trails so I can't get to crazy just yet. But I just bought a jdsquared tube bender and some other tools so some major tube work will start after christmas time. I am just planning an interior cage with a slope in the rear for a canvas top. One day like you said it will be air shocks or coilovers up front with a custom three link and the rear will also have airshocks or coilovers with a custom 3 or 4 link. Tube out the rear from just behind the front seats and loose the frame from the front seats back. I would do this starting now, but school is first priority for a while. you know how it is.

so it can drive fine on street if I build it right? ok then, time for hours and hours of research.

Back