Snowball 94 Limited | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today I took a trip to the closed Pull-A-Part place which is 40min away and picked up several goodies. I got Driver side window switch, Pass. front widow switch, Both Left and Right seat trim pieces, Interior door handle, Rear door reflector, a 4.6 L Maf off a 97 Town Car, and a couple emblems. I got all this for $27 They didn't even charge me for the Emblems!

I got almost every thing put on today and they all work perfectly.

While I was trying to put the MAF on though I discovered that my air intake tube has apperently made contact with some moving part and has pieces broken off on the TB Side.

So should I just go back and see if I can find one in good condition or is there a better one out there or can I make one that will work??

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Today I discovered that my attempt at LED hatch light had failed so it's back to the drawing board on it.

I did though track down a new Intake tube and I am going to pick it up tomorrow. The hole has made her run very Lean and I can tell a performance difference. I am also going to get a MAF adapter to put on the 4.6L Maf housing and a conical Spector filter to match.

Today I talckeled the over heating problem I started by purchasing a new Rad. cap then I straightened out the fins that had folded over from debry hitting it. I then noticed that there was this section that was covered in what looked like black lint or Asphalt it was stuck on pretty good so I took it to the car wash to clean it.

I also got the 4.6L MAF put on and the new-to-me intake tube put on. I also found a use for the big Ford emblem I picked up and I drilled a few holes and put it on the grill. I like it so much better.

Here's a couple pics.
SnowballAug71010.jpg

SnowballAug7107.jpg

I just got the ole girl back from the shop today. They changed the Tranny fluid, replaced the seal between the Tranny and T-case, and since it was already there I had them change the oil.

In the mean time I have drawn up plans for a box to go over the wheel well inspired by the one CJExplorer made. I will post pics and possibly a how-to after it is finished sometime next week.

Oh and I am still waiting on the MAF adapter to arrive to finish the intake.

I now have to reverse lights working again. The problem was the neutral safety switch it started not letting me start in park so it had to be replaced.

I also got the cone filter installed just need to make a bracket to keep it off the liner.

I have got so much more power and throttle response from it.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hopefully MPGs increase too.:dunno:

Today I desided I would go out and take some pics. I took a few of Snowball while I was out and I even found a place to flex her a bit.

40636_1609879650579_1343856776_31681166_4502481_n.jpg

40636_1609879730581_1343856776_31681168_1778233_n.jpg

40636_1609879770582_1343856776_31681169_7856815_n.jpg

40636_1609879810583_1343856776_31681170_6249770_n.jpg

I got up alot farther but when I took my foot off the brake I rolled back a bit. My E-brake doesn't work very well/at all.

I also took a pic of my new intake.

40636_1609879850584_1343856776_31681171_3001584_n.jpg

Today I was in the process of building my cargo box when I took a break to pic my sis up from school. It was pouring out side. Well once I got back I noticed that the Drivers rear cargo window was leaking I put a hose to it to see where exactly it was coming from and then sealed it up with clear RTV silicone.

Will this hold?? If it won't what will fix the problem??

Wow man, ive spent the past 30 mins reading your thread, sounds like you picked up a great X, plus its a limited!

I had a 92' Eddie Bauer with the tan interior, and I still have the cargo shade that goes in the back if you'd be interested? Not sure how much shipping would run since its pretty long lol.

BUTTTT I have to point out (Surprisingly no one else did yet) that Joe Dirt is the first to name his X Snowball, but I believe he sold it, so your the only one now :p:

Wow man, ive spent the past 30 mins reading your thread, sounds like you picked up a great X, plus its a limited!

I had a 92' Eddie Bauer with the tan interior, and I still have the cargo shade that goes in the back if you'd be interested? Not sure how much shipping would run since its pretty long lol.

BUTTTT I have to point out (Surprisingly no one else did yet) that Joe Dirt is the first to name his X Snowball, but I believe he sold it, so your the only one now :p:

Ya it was pointed out that he had the name. I would be intrested in the cargo cover if it still retracts and stays tight. I have one but it is a pain to roll it up and it sags in the middle and just looks ugly.

Yea its basically new, I dont think the owner before me had ever used it, and I had subs in the back so I instantly took it out, ill check it out in the morning and make sure all is well on it, and if it is, if you cover shipping, its yours man

Cargo Box

Here's the cargo box I built it is 13.5"W x 22"L x 17"H. It is covered in Polyester material.

DSC_7598.jpg

DSC_7599.jpg

DSC_7602.jpg

How-To on building it.

Today I cleaned the throttle body it was extremely dirty I'll let the pics do the talking.
Before
Throttlebody1.jpg

Just sprayed with Carb cleaner.
Throttlebody3.jpg

After.
Throttlebody5.jpg

Here's what I used.
Throttlebody6.jpg

Just spraying it with the carb cleaner got rid of most of the build up I used a tooth brush to scrub away the rest of the stuff. Then just put it back together.

I also checked to make sure I was getting WOT and wasn't so I put 2 extra zipties on the cable Now I hit WOT. :D

Well the progress on Snowball is going to be slow until next summer. Today I moved into my dorm at Tennessee Tech so all my time will be consumed studying to graduate with an Electrical Engineering degree in 4yrs.

But before I left I gave her a throught cleaning vaccumed the carpet, dusted off everything , scrubbed all panels of scuff marks, cleaned all windows and treated with anti-fog, Then she got a nice hand washing.

The drive up here was about 2.75hrs and she handled it like a champ theres some great scenery on the way up.

No pics from this trip but heres a few from when I came up in June for SOAR.

I took I-40 all the way here.
36774_1532061025162_1343856776_31473410_1765374_n.jpg

36774_1532060265143_1343856776_31473396_3920913_n.jpg

Giant Rebal Flag on the side of the I-40
36774_1532059945135_1343856776_31473392_6134365_n.jpg

Burgess Falls
36774_1532060465148_1343856776_31473399_5706299_n.jpg

36774_1532060345145_1343856776_31473397_1088597_n.jpg

Little update today I secured the cargo box with 4 2" screws through the box and into the floor. I also ordered the correct speedo gear and I will put it in the next time I come home for the weekend.

Beautiful pictures man, what kind of camera are you using? How many MP?

Also, how do you find out what speedo gear to get? When I get another Expo, im hoping to get a clean set of rims for it, probably 20's so I can have good tread, but I dont know anything about that little gear or how to change it and whanot....

I use a Nikon D40 which is only 6mp, but more mp don't mean better pics.

Search the site for info on the speedo gear unless you change tire size you won't need to change the gear.

Well last weekend I got alot of little things fixed.

I changed the speedo gear to a 16tooth one and now I am dead on with the seed.
I also got a working OHC from bigjmcconnell and took the guts and put them in mine to match my interior and now I can tell what the temp. is and what direction I'm heading. And it has a Blue display so it matches my gauges :thumbsup: Just have to get a new radio and figure out how to change the A/C control colors and it will be all blue.

What I did instead of studying.

Well I found this tutorial from FROADER "Object Color Change" and I gave it a try. And it worked out great now I know what color I want to paint my Ex.

Original
EdgarDavisSep.jpg

All Orange
OrangeSnowball.jpg

Orange with Black trim.
OrangeBlackSnowball.jpg

I also touched up the mirrors and the door trim.

Not sure which I like better but it will be a looooong time before I paint it.

youll have to change the name from snowball to pumpkin,lol, I had to put that silicone to seal up my rear cargo windows too,soo far soo good,I think the leak was caused by my subs because they didnt link until after I put em in.

Back