Snowball 94 Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

31's don't hit the wheel wells unless your shocks are broken.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'd probably go 30's as you'll change your gear ratio less and not rub on the fender wells like you will with the 31's. Make sure there aren't any check engine lights, if so fix them. I'd change out all the fluids, tranny, transfer, diffs. If the plugs are old I'd do plugs and wires. New air filter. New oil and filter(not a Fram!). Fix anything not working correctly.
Check air presure on the tires. Get a lifetime alignment from Firestone if available in your area and get it aligned. Pull the front auto hubs. Clean and then soak in ATF. Wipe up and re-install. Check brake pad and shoes. Get it running really good and get it caught up on maintenance then go from there.

Already fixed the CEL with the new MAF the tranny and transcase fluids will get changed soon as the Transcase seal is leaking a little after that comes the Valve cover gaskets and Some time I will get to the AC. I just changed several of the bulbs as they were missing or blown. And I will prob get an alignment after I get the tires which will hopefully be next week got to wait till payday.lol

Yesterday I found that I had no bulbs in my Reverse light sockets. I looked up the bulb number on this site and then went to AAP and bought some put them in and tested that they worked. Well today as I was leaving church a buddy of mine txted me and told me they were on when in drive. I checked once home and found they stayed on in every gear except in Park. I searched and Searched and can't find an answer.

It was to dark to chase wires once I got home so if I get off early enough I'll check tomorrow.

Just thought I would update I have narrowed the light problem to the Neutral safety switch I will get it replace when time and money permit.

For now can someone tell me what this plug goes to I found it in the rear panel that holds the jack wasn't connected to anything?
DSC_5940.jpg

DSC_5939.jpg

DSC_5938.jpg

And here is a pic of how I hold my hatch up right now until I get the money to get some lift supports. lol

DSC_5941.jpg

can you put a pic of the tail light mount ive ben thinking about this for mine

Here ya go Really easy and cheap to make I used a piece of angle steel and cut off part to make it the shape and bent it with my hands and a hammer. Only tools I used were a Dremel Drill and a bunch of grinding wheels.

DSC_5936.jpg

DSC_5932.jpg

Oh and definatly upgrade your bolts to metal and the screw plates too.

Here is the thread I based my design on.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251010

4736870827_1643abf5e2.jpg
keep alot of stuff in back of your explorer too huh? mine so bad i gotta cover it with a camofloge hunting blanket so if someone peeked in they cant see whats in there.

keep alot of stuff in back of your explorer too huh? mine so bad i gotta cover it with a camofloge hunting blanket so if someone peeked in they cant see whats in there.

Yep gotta be prepared for anything as the saying goes "Expect the best but always prepare for the worst."

Let's face it, all of us Gen 1 guys secretly wish we had a Gen 1 Bronco ;). Check this thing out!

Not me. i like my decent gas mileage, decent back seat, effective A/C, and quiet enough ride to actually listen to music for once (its the first vehicle i've owned which has these features.. also the newest i've ever owned) oh, and you can't fold down the back seats and have enough room to stretch out and sleep in the back of a bronco (not even a full size bronco, which i have 3 of) :D

Just thought I would update I have narrowed the light problem to the Neutral safety switch I will get it replace when time and money permit.

For now can someone tell me what this plug goes to I found it in the rear panel that holds the jack wasn't connected to anything?

4737524420_711d4b0364.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is your jumper to program a key fob.

Not me. i like my decent gas mileage, decent back seat, effective A/C, and quiet enough ride to actually listen to music for once (its the first vehicle i've owned which has these features.. also the newest i've ever owned) oh, and you can't fold down the back seats and have enough room to stretch out and sleep in the back of a bronco (not even a full size bronco, which i have 3 of) :D

I still want one they are my favorite vehicle.:D

Well I finally got some new to me tires. After sliding all over the road in the last rain shower they couldn't wait any longer. Almost turned it 180 once.

Well I decided that since I was getting new and I would go with 31"s as they were the same price and had better tread than the 235s. I wasn't able to get a full matching set but the Fronts match and the Backs match as they wear out and money permits I will be replacing with new.

Now for the pics.

Back tires.
SnowballJuly2103.jpg

They fill out he wheel wells really nice and don't rub at all.
SnowballJuly2102.jpg

Now after I make the first payment on it I will get a front end alignment.

Way to go man. Thats a really good looking limited. To be honest and it just my opinion... id almost keep that a street truck and get a cheap beat up one for the trail or just take it easy on such a clean X. All you mods look good too.... you could also lower it and put rims on it like im going to do woth my X this fall. Keep the clean X's clean and beat up the beaten ones. Good luck with the X tho hope it lasts you many more years.

Way to go man. Thats a really good looking limited. To be honest and it just my opinion... id almost keep that a street truck and get a cheap beat up one for the trail or just take it easy on such a clean X. All you mods look good too.... you could also lower it and put rims on it like im going to do woth my X this fall. Keep the clean X's clean and beat up the beaten ones. Good luck with the X tho hope it lasts you many more years.

I plan on keeping it a mild truck no more than 2 inchs of lift. I personally hate lowered trucks but to each his own. I am looking for a cheap beater though.

Tried out the new tires and they work great. drove up a service road to a giant cross on My churches property.

37232_1553654884995_1343856776_31530764_4012822_n.jpg

37232_1553655004998_1343856776_31530767_3236965_n.jpg

And wouldn't you know it less than a week after I spend $120 on these tires I find this ad. http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/1825571328.html I'll probably pick these up too if he still has them after I get paid still have a lot of tread left.

ya yur right we all have are own opinions. I understand thats why in lowering one and looking for an X to lift. But yur truck has a perfect stance the way it is. Rugged but not overdone on a luxuray X. Looks good. Nice job with the pics too!

nice X! i like the loo of one tone Xs without the pinstripe tape.. just a thought, but it might look sick without it.

ya yur right we all have are own opinions. I understand thats why in lowering one and looking for an X to lift. But yur truck has a perfect stance the way it is. Rugged but not overdone on a luxuray X. Looks good. Nice job with the pics too!

Thank you I love to take pics I carry my camera in the car at all times. Here's a link to some I have taken this summer.

Summer Time http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067791&id=1343856776&l=28eb28ee19

Fourth of July http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2072601&id=1343856776&l=446911b293

I love living in East TN theres always a great view around the next corner.

nice X! i like the loo of one tone Xs without the pinstripe tape.. just a thought, but it might look sick without it.

I have thought about removing but not sure of how to go about it and how hard it would be.

Back