Dr. Jack | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dr. Jack

:usa: Hopefully I am starting this thread in the proper place. I am following the ideas of other members to keep a log so to speak of the 92 Explorer now know as Dr. Jack.
It all started a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, oops,wrong story.
A while back in the spring/summer time frame of 2009. I was asked by an EF member if I ever do any 4wheeling, I told him I had done a bit in Death Valley but not much, this is when he intoduced me to the EF family. We made plans for me to join him as a rider in the CCR09 at Ouray. We did a pre-run in Moab where I meet Bronco2guy, Amy, and Chad551. Then on to Ouray where I meet a lot of fine peeps in the EF family. I had such a blast that I decided to start a project, I have always liked off roading but all the groups I meet seemed to have a "better than thou" idea.
Giving myself two years for the project, I started keeping an eye on the forum and looking around for ideas, then the 92 Explorer of Dr. John "Jack" Lobdell popped up on Craig's list in New Mexico, by following the forum I became aware of the sale, and by contact with other members I came to learn that this was a special vehicle from a special member. Lady Luck smiled on me, as I was able to use my brother's trailer to go pick up the vehicle. Robert rode with me and am I glad he did, his help was great. Got the rig back home and am now beginning to go over it, will keep upates as I go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep the ideas coming folks!!!! I likes. Also just thought of, maybe I can cover it it lightweight metal such as alum, this will make it last longer and take more punishment, as well as double as a table for eating vittles.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

make it removable to store in the rig, or take away to a reciever on the front ?

make it removable to store in the rig, or take away to a reciever on the front ?

Another excellant point Pete. A flat round thing would be easy to store inside.

Jack's new transporter to runs. A 2011 Silverado Texas Edition. (one hell of a deal)

IMG_0210.jpg
Nice Job on the Explorer.
I have a 2008 "California Package" Silverado in the same color. It also has the 20" wheels. My new tires cost me $980.00.
I love Chevy trucks. Nearly three years without any problems (except the power door locks went out on both front doors, replaced under warranty).

I have a 2008 "California Package" Silverado in the same color.
It also has the 20" wheels. My new tires cost me $980.00.
I love Chevy trucks. Nearly three years without any problems (except the power door locks went out on both front doors, replaced under warranty).
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brian, I think the idea of putting "Package" or "Edition" on the name and throwing in a few extra do-dads just another way to raise the price. I dread the time when I have to replace the tires.

On the tire carrier, it is still in design mode, getting all info together before it is built, so there is no "aww crap, should of thought of that". The work platform is going to be 24" dia. Lowes (or Home Depot) sells precut 3/4" treated in this size, and since it is only gonna be for a working platform on the trail, this will be sufficiant. (Not for hammering etc)

I have now entered the "buying of assy's for spare parts" phase of the EF.
A D35 from a 93 or 94.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Is this an advancing EF sign? :help: or :crazy: or :bounce:

Definitely a:bounce::bounce::bounce: with a :biggthump to boot.

Woohoo.. Your on your way to having lots of spare parts. Time to build another shed...

I started out with a little bit like that.. Now I have 3 sets of RA arms and beams, plus axle shafts and lots of other spare parts, just in case..

~Mark

Definitely a:bounce::bounce::bounce: with a :biggthump to boot.

Woohoo.. Your on your way to having lots of spare parts. Time to build another shed...

I started out with a little bit like that.. Now I have 3 sets of RA arms and beams, plus axle shafts and lots of other spare parts, just in case..

~Mark

Whoo! Thanks guys, thought I was just going off the ledge!!!

Well its good it made it back to Jonesboro in one piece. :D

Well its good it made it back to Jonesboro in one piece. :D

LOL!! It did make the first mark in the bed of the new truck!!!!

... OMG..:eek:... You have become an Explorerholic...Welcome to the group..:biggthump
Posted via Mobile Device

... OMG..:eek:... You have become an Explorerholic...Welcome to the group..:biggthump
Posted via Mobile Device

:D Feeling good about this type of "...olic" :D

Look what came in today!!! Outstanding work like always Sue!! :salute:

IMG_0218.jpg

The spare tire carrier is too low, gonna have to find a way to heightened it and put a pivot point on it, but I finally got one that don't fall under the weight of the tire. (no more trying to mod one for me, learned my lesson on that)

Looking good! You gonna be bringing the Dr. Jack to the Meet, reaper? Still wanting to get my hands on it. :D

Looking good! You gonna be bringing the Dr. Jack to the Meet, reaper? Still wanting to get my hands on it. :D

Yes, I decided to hold off the replacement of drive train items such as ujoints etc, so I can have it ready for the meet, just have to do a little more under the body, the trailer, exhaust, flush the coolant and refill (running higher than normal) Please don't get ur hands on the tranny!!:p:(sorry, had to)

Look's bloody good mate! Sue is an artist that's for sure. Doesn't look like you have to go much higher ay? That could be your truck on the spare cover, awesome and good luck on the pivot project.:thumbsup::dpchug:

Believe me I want nothing to do with anymore trannys for the rest of my life. :D

Look's bloody good mate! Sue is an artist that's for sure. Doesn't look like you have to go much higher ay? That could be your truck on the spare cover, awesome and good luck on the pivot project.:thumbsup::dpchug:

On the height I just want it to be about the same level as the top of the bumper (or RRD as Dan calls it!), this should not be difficult since it is hollow square tubing, the pivot point is another animal itself. Your right Greg, that could be my rig on the cover, didn't notice it was a 1st gen til you mentioned it. :thumbsup:

Believe me I want nothing to do with anymore trannys for the rest of my life. :D
LOL!!!

The spare tire carrier mod got put on hold for today, now going over to my bro's place tomorrow, an actual workshop with drill press, welder,(gas and arc) band saw, all the goodies, will take pics and post. The pivot point is still the concern. Any ideas would be welcome, right now I am thinking of a simple "L" bracket on both sides to make the pivot.

Back