Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend turning the bolts around on the vertical links with the nuts on the inside so you don't rip a sidewall when at full lock.

It might seem like the rubber will never get there but,,,an ounce of prevention,,,,,,:rolleyes: :D full lock down hill can really distort the tire carcass. ;)

I would rather have the rod end ball riding on the un threaded shoulder part of the bolt though yes? That is the reason for the bolt length.It needed that much shoulder for the bar-joint and shims plus a backing washer.

The tire does not come near that area but I will get a picture to show you so we both feel better. lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ok, tire against radius arm, AKA full lock--lol

passenger side

over 3 fingers

008-2.jpg

driver side

007-2.jpg

3 fingers is good for Tequila ;)

At least grind down the threaded end. Tires can flex in weird ways. A new Rubicon ripped a big hole in his inner sidewall on a run we were on last month. He thought there was plenty of clearance and ruined an virtually new tire.

'An ounce of prevention' might help get you home. :D

3 fingers is good for Tequila ;)

At least grind down the threaded end. Tires can flex in weird ways. A new Rubicon ripped a big hole in his inner sidewall on a run we were on last month. He thought there was plenty of clearance and ruined an virtually new tire.

'An ounce of prevention' might help get you home. :D

Can I do it tomorrow? :D

Chasing this hollow annoying squeak. The other day I Looked under the truck to see I forgot to bolt the engine cross member in after doing the coil buckets-:eek::eek: Got some grade 8 bolts in there-still squeaked.:(:(

So, I looked to the rear and noticed my home made rear shock tabs were rubbing the shock. So, I reworked them to look better. The bolts had slop inside the bushings so I put in new metal sleeve and used new bolts.
Still squeaked. :(

So, once again I got on the creepy crawler and went under to look at all the dirty parts. I grabbed and wiggled like I always have, but this time I grabbed a slider to get out and it's squeaked! Finally I could hear the noise in the driveway instead of only while we were moving.

It turned out to be an inner metal bushing sleeve on the passenger front shock, rubbing on the mounting point of the radius arm. Why I had to grab the slider to get the noise I have no idea-but there it was. I twisted the shock and the noise went away-let it go, tugged the slider from underneath and heard the squeak. Bingo!!!!

So, I drove the metal reducers out of the shock bushings on each side and shortened them a bit with a cut off wheel . I installed new bolts with a bit of grease, went for a test drive and the squeak is now gone. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Got a co2 tank strapped down to the rear cargo rack also.

Chasing this hollow annoying squeak. The other day I Looked under the truck to see I forgot to bolt the engine cross member in after doing the coil buckets-:eek::eek: Got some grade 8 bolts in there-still squeaked.:(:(
just so i know for sure.. the one the engine mounts bolt to right?
wow lol. not good!
the shock was squeaking to warn you of your forgetful mind

Last week the passenger front window growled at me when I tried to roll it back up. Then it sounded like a wookie for a minute and started clicking.

So , I used the "how to window bushings" thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233353&highlight=regulator+bushings

I removed the window motor, took off the cover and yep, just like everyone else someone stole my regulator bushings and stashed their crack in there.Damm crack ******--

Anyway, got it back together and went to the driver window to find the same thing. New bushings in and all is well with the windows. :thumbsup:

That was a nice writeup-havent seen it before. About how long did it take you to do?

That was a nice writeup-havent seen it before. About how long did it take you to do?

1st one about an hour--I dropped a screw and the wire harness caught it, took forever to find that one.

On the other side same thing happened but I catch on quick, so it took about 15 minutes.

Geez, once again I went out to the highway to ask for a CB radio check and the truckers go ape poop on my butt for doing it. ( guess that means it works)
WTF is up with that? Next time I will just key the mike and say " F--- you all!!"

I bet I get the same response.
:rolleyes:

That would have been a good response. "So, you're telling me it works then?" ;)

Jon, next time you're out on the road or near a truckstop get on the radio and say real softly " I ain't got no panties on". lol. This gets everyone's attention and is an old trucker's joke. Being an Ex OTR Driver you always knew when you were getting close to a truckstop just by that. LOL.

Did you say break 19 for a radio check?

I just ask if anyone can cash a radio check. Seems to get me a reponse :). If I get crap back from then, I just leave the mic open while listening to talk radio.

~Mark

With offroad truck, if it goes offroad ever. I think you will always be chasing squeeks, but otherwise truck is awesome! Bring it to SMORR please.................

My lovely bride and I took the Vitamin D wagon up to the hills of Colorado for some fun. Long story short I broke a rear shock mount.

047.jpg

Didn't really like em anyway so time to rethink---

I decided to use the sway bar bracket rather than cut it off and re weld to the same area. I also needed to add some angle to the mounts as I think being mounted square to the axle tube created a bind-

I made 2 pairs of tabs, one pair being 1" longer and 1/2" wider at the base, then tacked em to the sway bar bracket

001-5.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

Then I removed the shocks and installed bushings--washers to keep the tabs from moving when I welded em( forgot to get this pic before painting--welding)

004-6.jpg

Once they were welded on, I cut off the remaining bracket area, to remove the large snag spot. Painted with some black rattle can

005-3.jpg

Then I bolted in the shocks. Much better now.

007-3.jpg

...I seen a sad posting a few minutes ago..:(

..Is it true?

Yes my brothers, the Vitamin D is now in her new home. She was just too good for what we really needed. I have no regrets though as I sure did learn a lot about 1st gen explorer's through all this.

A nice family now will be taking care of her , and wheeling with some jeeps at Tuttle. I hope they take the time to register here.

I am already looking for her replacement, which will undoubtedly be an RBV.

WoW An Incredible amount of work (quality work) went into her! Had to be a sad moment. Always looked forward to continuous upgrade posts to her. Cannot wait to see your next ride and all of its powder coated mods.

Back