Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Actually, less....

I would like to put 1000 or more miles on the engine before the trek west.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Tranny is in!

The transmission is in! I also replaced the engine mounts.

Unfortunately, I might have to drop the trans to clearance the transmission tunnel... :(

Attachments

• Tranny In.JPG
    Tranny In.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 5,250

Battery Cables

I've had new battery cables on the shelf, waiting for an opportune moment to install them. I was also planning on replacing the battery connectors with military style ones.

The starter on a 4.0L is on the driver's side - on a 302, it is on the passenger's side. This means the 2 leads need to be lengthened to cross over the engine.

Changing the battery connector ends actually made lengthening the cables a fairly easy task.

Pictures:

- Factory cables
- New factory positive cable assembly
- New aftermarket negative cable assembly
- Modified cables

Attachments

• FactoryCables.JPG
    FactoryCables.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,594
  • PosCableNew.JPG
    PosCableNew.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,630
  • NegCableNew.JPG
    NegCableNew.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,585
  • ReDoneCables.JPG
    ReDoneCables.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,589

Engine Mounts

Instead of paying $200 for a set of aftermarket engine mounts, I decided to build mounting plates and use factory 4.0L engine mounts. Others have done it in the past, so I figure it will work just fine.

I found one detailed drawing (specifying hole location, etc.) - only one. I thought it best to make my own.

I have a "spare" small block borrowed from the machine shop - that is the one you see in the pictures. I dropped the block into the truck, attached it to the transmission, checked for clearances.

Attachments

• Drop Engine.JPG
    Drop Engine.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,632
  • CloseFitLF.JPG
    CloseFitLF.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,620

Next, I made templates out of cardboard.

Attachments

• MtTemplateRT.JPG
    MtTemplateRT.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,612
  • MtTemplateLF.JPG
    MtTemplateLF.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,606

Templates went to steel.

What you see here is a small block mounted in the truck!

We're getting there!

Attachments

• MountLF.JPG
    MountLF.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,609
  • MountRT.JPG
    MountRT.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MountPlates.JPG
    MountPlates.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,578

Scots "new truck"

Scott, lookin good can't wait to see the "transformation" nice fab work. Soooooo when you get a little spare time hows about some sliders for my truck? :D Michael

At some point, I am going to build a set for mine. Maybe I should build 2 sets???

Sliders????

Hmmmm..... Scott, we will have to talk, would rather pay you than someone else... Michael

Pulled the Trans again...

I pulled the transmission out again today.

I sprayed undercoating on the top of the transmission tunnel (along the flange that was bent out of the way.) I really don't want that area to rust.

Also, I trimmed the breather tube. As it sat, the breather tube was less than 1/2" from the underside of the body. There was not enough room for a hose. I trimmed about 1/2" off the tube - now, a hose should fit easily. (And, the body will keep it from slipping off!)

Attachments

• Tunnel.JPG
    Tunnel.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,558

I have decided to raise the engine 1/2".

The oil pan sump interferes with the Rancho TTB pivot bracket. One option is to cut the corner out of the pan - but, the pickup is there as well as a drain plug. Not cutting the oil pan is a good idea.

The EGR fitting on the header is not in a good place. (Mustangs have a different under-hood layout.) I'm not sure if a tight 90 degree fitting will fit under the heater box - I'm sure it won't when I raise the engine.

This particular header has a manufacturing flaw - because of the way the EGR fitting was welded, (sloppily) there are only 3 threads available on the fitting. Not enough for a successful connection. So, I am returning these.

I've been looking at BBK headers - I believe the EGR fitting is in a different place. I should find out tomorrow. If this is the case, I will probably get a set. If not, I am considering getting a set of headers without the EGR fitting, adding my own, then coating them. We shall see.

Attachments

• HeaderFit2.JPG
    HeaderFit2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,520
  • HeaderFit1.JPG
    HeaderFit1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,519

Awesome looking job I want to see how the headers turn out installed i want to put a set on my explorer. Keep me posted.

Scott's truck transformation...........

YEAH BABY.............!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Time for some updates...

I finished separating the engine and chassis wiring harnesses, and reinstalled the chassis harness.

The tagged wires will attach to the new engine harness.

Attachments

• WiringHarness1.JPG
    WiringHarness1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,446
  • WiringHarness2.JPG
    WiringHarness2.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,422
  • WiringHarness3.JPG
    WiringHarness3.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,428

I had to relieve the A/C box to make room for the valve cover. (Unfortunately, this turned out to not be enough, and I had to modify again, with the engine in place.)

Attachments

• AirBoxMod1.JPG
    AirBoxMod1.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • AirBoxMod.JPG
    AirBoxMod.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,489

I cleaned and painted the frame rails with POR-15 chassis paint.

Great stuff! I painted the frame that is directly under the engine and/or difficult to get to when the engine is in place. I will paint the remainder of the frame "later."

Attachments

• POR 15.JPG
    POR 15.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,882

It's in!!!!!

The engine is now installed!

(More pictures can be found in the engine build thread: link, post 94.

Attachments

• EngineInstall6.JPG
    EngineInstall6.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,630

New A/C Relief Plate

As I mentioned earlier, I had to re-do the A/C relief plate.

The pictures show the first part of the process.

First, the new, larger hole I cut around the engine. It was a PITA to get to.

The new plate I built/bent.

At the last minute, I decided to apply some pipe insulation tape to the backside of the aluminum. Hopefully, that will limit the aluminum from drawing cold air out of the box.

The new plate installed. There is a bead of sealer behind the plate. Once that dries, I am going to add a bead on the outside, filling the gaps. Once that dries, I will apply 2 layers of foil tape.

Attachments

• NewHole.JPG
    NewHole.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,444
  • NewPlate.JPG
    NewPlate.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 1,436
  • InsulatedPlate.JPG
    InsulatedPlate.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Installed.JPG
    Installed.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,429

New steering shaft

I installed a Flaming River steering shaft: link

Attachments

• FinalInstall.JPG
    FinalInstall.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,519

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This build is looking great. Thanks for sharing, Scott!

Back