Scott B's 2006 Ranger FX4 Level II | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 2006 Ranger FX4 Level II

Tow Hooks

I upgraded/replaced the factory tow hooks with a set of original Ford FX4 Level II tow hooks (2002 - 2004). For some reason (probably to save money) Ford discontinued using the fancy stainless steel hooks on the Level II trucks, and just painted a standard hook silver.

I was able to get a new set of these from Ford (possibly the last remaining set). A little pricey, but definitely a nice addition/change.

Here, you can see before, with the standard loop hooks, the replacement hooks, and after with the J-hooks installed.

Attachments

• Hooks1.jpg
    Hooks1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 818
  • Hooks2.jpg
    Hooks2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 776
  • Hooks3.jpg
    Hooks3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 789
  • Hooks4.jpg
    Hooks4.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Hooks5.jpg
    Hooks5.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 804

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yakima Landing Pads

I finally got around to mounting the landing pads for my bike rack.

Attachments

• IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 691

First off your truck looks great. Makes me wish I could have afforded a FX4 LII when I bought my 99 back in 05. Well I suppose I could have but I was dead set against getting a newer truck, even the 99 was newer than I wanted. Kinda regretting that decision every time I see one of these.

Found this thread after reading your AVM hub conversion thread. Great info in both of them. I have a 99 Ranger and already have the AVM style hubs, but they answered another question I had.

Some time back I was reading about the Superlift kit and how it was drilled to work with "larger stock rotors." Was working on my truck the other day and noticed that my front pads are getting low, and the thought of those larger stock rotors popped into mind. Got to digging and found that they moved up to a 12" rotor, and needed the later steering knuckles. Wanted to do this to my truck, but wasn't sure if I could keep my AVMs. Your other thread answered that one for me. That left me with one other worry, would my 15" wheels fit with these larger brakes. They are a Pacer brand clone of the AR Outlaw II wheels. All the later model rangers I've seen had 16" wheels, I always assumed that the later model LII went to a larger 16" Alcoa wheel as well. This thread answered that one for me as well. Bigger brakes is going on my to do mod list. Wanted to say thanks on both counts!

If it's alright I think I'm going to borrow a few of your mods for my own truck. In particular I want to do that bumper back-up light mod. LMC truck has a bumper wit them built in but since nothing is wrong with my stock bumper and I don't need the extra strength there didn't want to spend the money. Those back-up lights look great, and I'd bet that they work pretty good as well.

I've put the Bilstein 4600s on the front of my truck which I think is what came stock on the LII, now I need some shocks for the rear. How do the 5100 series compare to your stockers? I may go with those instead. Did you ever figure out 5100 for the front?

Plan to replace my stock axle with an Explorer disk axle, and will probably borrow from your brake conversion since I think I'll have to modify the lines and will definitely need the e-brake cables. Actually I'll be copping the e-brake cables for my 86 street truck build too, it's getting an explorer axle as well. I had actually been scratching my head over the e-brake cable set-up for the 86 for a little while.

It's all in the details Scott, and you've definitely got the details covered:chug:

Some time back I was reading about the Superlift kit and how it was drilled to work with "larger stock rotors." Was working on my truck the other day and noticed that my front pads are getting low, and the thought of those larger stock rotors popped into mind. Got to digging and found that they moved up to a 12" rotor, and needed the later steering knuckles. Wanted to do this to my truck, but wasn't sure if I could keep my AVMs. Your other thread answered that one for me. That left me with one other worry, would my 15" wheels fit with these larger brakes. They are a Pacer brand clone of the AR Outlaw II wheels. All the later model rangers I've seen had 16" wheels, I always assumed that the later model LII went to a larger 16" Alcoa wheel as well. This thread answered that one for me as well. Bigger brakes is going on my to do mod list. Wanted to say thanks on both counts!

You are welcome! Glad someone is reading what I write.

If it's alright I think I'm going to borrow a few of your mods for my own truck. In particular I want to do that bumper back-up light mod. LMC truck has a bumper wit them built in but since nothing is wrong with my stock bumper and I don't need the extra strength there didn't want to spend the money. Those back-up lights look great, and I'd bet that they work pretty good as well.

Go right ahead. I've seen LMC bumpers - I like the look of the factory bumper better. Putting lights in it are not that difficult.

I've put the Bilstein 4600s on the front of my truck which I think is what came stock on the LII, now I need some shocks for the rear. How do the 5100 series compare to your stockers? I may go with those instead. Did you ever figure out 5100 for the front?

I haven't figured out front 5100s yet. I am considering converting from torsion bar to coilover. You can't use the same shock for both setups, so I am waiting until I make a decision.

Plan to replace my stock axle with an Explorer disk axle, and will probably borrow from your brake conversion since I think I'll have to modify the lines and will definitely need the e-brake cables. Actually I'll be copping the e-brake cables for my 86 street truck build too, it's getting an explorer axle as well. I had actually been scratching my head over the e-brake cable set-up for the 86 for a little while.

The Lokar cables make it easy. :)

It's all in the details Scott, and you've definitely got the details covered:chug:

Thanks, Rick.

It sure helps having all these people on this site, posting ideas, asking questions and figuring out what fits.

Call off the hounds...

He's back and no longer considered MIA...:biggthump..:p:

I really love your truck. We are planning on doing a 05+ clip on our 96 ranger and I think the Level II grille is what I may go with. I like the look of it but do you know if they come in black?
Trav

Are you talking about an original LII grill, or the grill he installed? The original is a painted finish, all it takes is a little paint and it can be match it to any body color. If you are referring to the one he installed, the center is already black and the surround (white part) is painted as well.

I was talking about the original. Personally (no offense to Scott) but I don't care for the grille he installed.
Trav

No offense taken. That is one cool thing about these trucks - over the years, most of the changes were cosmetic, and most parts are interchangeable. That allows you to build your truck looking like you want it to, not necessarily how the Ford designers designed it.

The original LII grilles are painted. IIRC, the base model trucks came with black grilles, but I do not know if they are black plastic or painted.

Yep I like that too. We wanted to make a replica of our 02 F250 minimized so that's why I asked.
Trav

sweet truck, was just now reading your little guy trailer build over on ExPo... i never post over there but read a lot, clicked your truck link in your sig and was happy to see EF come up :) i'd love to get a trailer like that someday. looks like fun!

sweet truck, was just now reading your little guy trailer build over on ExPo... i never post over there but read a lot, clicked your truck link in your sig and was happy to see EF come up :) i'd love to get a trailer like that someday. looks like fun!

The trailer really changes camping. It is nice to sleep off the ground (and warm) and the kitchen is really convenient.

The only downside is having to drag an additional 1500 lbs. on the trail.

You can't have everything! :)

Hey I just got an update from the torsion/coilover conversion thread (forgot I was subscibed to it), and I clicked this hoping to see install pics of yours. Did you ever get the coilover on?

No offense taken. That is one cool thing about these trucks - over the years, most of the changes were cosmetic, and most parts are interchangeable. That allows you to build your truck looking like you want it to, not necessarily how the Ford designers designed it.

The original LII grilles are painted. IIRC, the base model trucks came with black grilles, but I do not know if they are black plastic or painted.

Black plastic, that is what my ranger had.

Hey I just got an update from the torsion/coilover conversion thread (forgot I was subscibed to it), and I clicked this hoping to see install pics of yours. Did you ever get the coilover on?

Not yet. The pieces are still sitting in the box.

I'm still tinkering with the V8 conversion in my other truck, and I bought a teardrop trailer earlier this year that I am customizing.

It is still in the plans to do...

Spring Time!

I took full advantage of the break in winter weather.

New tires, new front brakes and a bath.

And, of course, pictures by the lake!

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 393

Back