1998 maintenance and general questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 maintenance and general questions

FordJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
NYB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Hi,
I'm, obviously, new here. Greetings and salutations. I just won a gorgeous well maintained 4.0 SOHC 1998 Explorer (200,000 miles) at auction dirt cheap. I cannot believe how cheap it was. I did an inspection myself and it looks, runs, and appears excellent and babied. I did a personal inspection and the only issue is some minor wear from age, and a small cut in the passenger side headliner. I'd grade it a 9 out of 10 exterior, interior, and mechanical (I have not yet driven it, unfortunately, but have started it, reved it, and ran thru gears, and looked at fluids). The motor looks like it could be almost new. No leaks under the vehicle. Interior almost spotless, which is always a good sign. I'm here to learn and absorb all info and anything to keep this girl in top shape. I'm excited to take delivery and see how she runs. See pictures.

It is a beautiful Explorer, with the two doors, mag rims and performance wheels, tubular steps, and well maintained.

I also own a 6.4L 392 Dodge Hemi Challenger SRT8, Toyota 4Runner 4.7L 4x4, & Toyota Tundra 4.7L 4x4. So this Ford 2wd daily driver will be a welcomed addition to the family! Want to treat her right and keep her going a long time! I'm okay with a wrench, and can also take her in for routine work. Going to seek any and all info on how to best maintain the Ford. My first question is that someone online recommended for high mileage this era Explorers to ignore the recommended 5w30 and go with 10w30. Can anyone elaborate, confirm, or deny? Thanks.

Also, anything routine or typical to be aware of, known issues, typical problems to be mindful of, etc.?

I take delivery this week. Any words of wisdom very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• img (20).jpg
    img (20).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 85
  • img (12).jpg
    img (12).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 95
  • img (11).jpg
    img (11).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 87
  • img (10).jpg
    img (10).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
  • img (1).jpg
    img (1).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC04377.JPG
    DSC04377.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC04374.JPG
    DSC04374.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04376.JPG
    DSC04376.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC04372.JPG
    DSC04372.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04371.JPG
    DSC04371.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 85

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW, all i can say is WOW, that's the best explorer I've seen recently... As for maintenance, use 5w-30 high mileage, and if you want, use an additive. Also, i would recommend draining and refilling oil, coolant, tranny fluid upon taking delivery. ALso, take an oil sample and send it in to get a good look. Also, inspect the spark plugs, brakes etc. also check and top off all fluids. since its an sohc, make sure it doesn't have the timing rattle like mine... other then that, looks great! wonderr if it will hit 350 like mine! looking forward to hearing when you take delivery and any updates!
for reference, this is mine with a timing rattle,... looks can be deceiving tho because mine looks pristine but has the rattle... i am assuming that when you started it, it was cold? if you did not hear the rattle cold, most likely it doesn't have one.

Attachments

• ExplorerGarage2.jpg
    ExplorerGarage2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 91

that truck looks awesome though! wish mine had a hatch like that... on mine the spot welds are tearing... losing battle!!!

WOW, all i can say is WOW, that's the best explorer I've seen recently... As for maintenance, use 5w-30 high mileage, and if you want, use an additive. Also, i would recommend draining and refilling oil, coolant, tranny fluid upon taking delivery. ALso, take an oil sample and send it in to get a good look. Also, inspect the spark plugs, brakes etc. also check and top off all fluids. since its an sohc, make sure it doesn't have the timing rattle like mine... other then that, looks great! wonderr if it will hit 350 like mine! looking forward to hearing when you take delivery and any updates!
for reference, this is mine with a timing rattle,... looks can be deceiving tho because mine looks pristine but has the rattle... i am assuming that when you started it, it was cold? if you did not hear the rattle cold, most likely it doesn't have one.

Thanks! I went to look at about 20 cars at auction before I placed bids. The explorer was at the top of the list and the first one I inspected. It was the clear winner in condition and the only one I bid on. I'm reluctant to say how little I paid for it... I don't want to jinx myself, and I'll update more when I take delivery.

Well, just got home from paying for and taking delivery of the Ford Explorer. It mostly exceeded my expectations. It drove really well. Braking and handling were very good. That 205hp / 250 ft/lbs 4.0L SOHC and transmission pair really did lay down some good acceleration and driving.

Minor blemishes aside, if this Ford has a material issue (other than 200k on the clock) I cannot find it. It was a great find and purchase for essentially disposable amounts of money.

Read up on the timing chain issues. Install a pre-Oiler for the longest service life. Stick with the 5w-30, change it often.

nice! glad to hear youre satisfied! hoping it will last a good while longer as well!

Back