Engine/trans pulled

KeenKilo

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
99 sport OHV 5 speed.
CEL is on for lean bank one bank two so it’s been parked since February. Found it’s leaking coolant out of the lower intake gasket by the thermostat and the trans won’t go into gear for some reason so I decided to pull them both and get it sorted out.

Engine is going to get top end gaskets, plugs, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump probably, other stuff I have written down and a good cleanin. What else would be good to do?

Attachments

• A02E4BC8-1F8D-4D9D-A9EB-5341ADD819E3.jpeg
    A02E4BC8-1F8D-4D9D-A9EB-5341ADD819E3.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 146
  • D2C12DAB-CC2F-43C3-9543-F00B72D4558A.jpeg
    D2C12DAB-CC2F-43C3-9543-F00B72D4558A.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 151

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

head gaskets
clutch with new LUK slave and master cylinders
A neat trick for the 98+ OHV 4.0 is to use the flywheel and clutch for a SOHC 03 Ranger........ the clutch is larger and will give you a better pedal feel and more clutch grip

Lean codes both banks typically intake gasket leaks
5 speed trans wont go into gear sometimes air trapped in the clutch hydraulics

How many miles?

200k miles

Yep intake leak. I wasnt going to do the head gasket. I am on a budget tho this would be the only time I would.

I think there is a problem with the slave or master or both. To go into gear it was like hitting a brick wall. I got it into reverse by having it roll slightly backwards and it slipped right in. That is not always the case. Once in gear the clutch functions properly. The pedal feels soft.

here is how the clutch and pressure plate look. Worn and uneven but I don’t believe it would cause the problem although I am new to working on transmissions

Attachments

• 104BF3E8-A407-4A90-92AE-37EF99F7F15D.jpeg
    104BF3E8-A407-4A90-92AE-37EF99F7F15D.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 38EF3B0F-7705-4E43-9C6A-C77BAA98F57A.jpeg
    38EF3B0F-7705-4E43-9C6A-C77BAA98F57A.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 141ED941-DF07-42B8-9FF5-8C842AFAECA5.jpeg
    141ED941-DF07-42B8-9FF5-8C842AFAECA5.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 121
  • AB1F5019-9F4A-4BDA-B35B-28ABCEEB2BBF.jpeg
    AB1F5019-9F4A-4BDA-B35B-28ABCEEB2BBF.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 133

Any fluid leaks from the clutch slave cylinder?
With a tiny air bubble trapped in the clutch master cylinder will cause the situation you describe, hard to get into 1 and R

This is your chance to do head gaskets with 200K miles there is not a ohv in existence that would not benefit from new head gaskets

Any fluid leaks from the clutch slave cylinder?
With a tiny air bubble trapped in the clutch master cylinder will cause the situation you describe, hard to get into 1 and R

This is your chance to do head gaskets with 200K miles there is not a ohv in existence that would not benefit from new head gaskets

that’s a very good point.

Attachments

• 53FFB9C3-E2B4-4F21-A8D3-028680E07395.jpeg
    53FFB9C3-E2B4-4F21-A8D3-028680E07395.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 145

I’d do main seals too. Anything that’s a ***** to get at with the engine and/or trans in place, get at it.

Not sure how the oil pans are on the OHV, but if it’s a pain to remove in the truck, do a pan gasket too.

oil pan gasket nearly impossible in the truck
I would re seal the entire engine including oil pan, timing cover, rear main, oil filter mount, injectors, valve seats....all of it while the engine is out

Your slave cylinder was leaking pretty good, time for all new, use LUK NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!!!!

I think everything but the radiator is a ***** while the motor is in the truck. It was an easy pull to do. I guess I’ll spend what I can LUK ain’t cheap! Haha

rockauto.com

discount code: 148213744136329580
good till 10/11

the 03 Ranger SOHC flywheel and clutch is a bit pricey, but WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $100 or so, will way outlast the smaller 4.0 clutch

rockauto.com

discount code: 148213744136329580
good till 10/11

the 03 Ranger SOHC flywheel and clutch is a bit pricey, but WELL WORTH THE EXTRA $100 or so, will way outlast the smaller 4.0 clutch

I don’t see a place to enter a discount code

It says "HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US" put it there and then hit refresh you will save 5%
discount codes are always avail, Rockauto asks us to share so its cool
I ALWAYS HAVE ONE if you need just PM me

Which lower intake gasket is better. The set I bought comes with a two piece and liquid gasket. I noticed there is also one that is a single piece sold by itself

two piece is the better design
the valleys between the intake gaskets gets a nice 1/4" thick bead of permatex
Also a little permatex under the gasket corners before you set them down

two piece is the better design
the valleys between the intake gaskets gets a nice 1/4" thick bead of permatex
Also a little permatex under the gasket corners before you set them down
The OEM ford one isn't bad either. It lasted that long!
Check the valve covers for rust. Mine had rot on the flange and pinholes. I got a used set, still had to electrolysis them and paint with high temp paint.

At 200K you may want to replace the injector gasket on the intake, was like $16 (OEM). I have metal injectors, they were very rusty, for $50 I got a new reman set.

If you really want to PM and plan on keeping it for a long time you can replace the cam sensor in the back of the engine, but the Ford one (which you should only buy) is $200. There are cheap China ones but it is a major job.

The OEM ford one isn't bad either. It lasted that long!
Check the valve covers for rust. Mine had rot on the flange and pinholes. I got a used set, still had to electrolysis them and paint with high temp paint.

At 200K you may want to replace the injector gasket on the intake, was like $16 (OEM). I have metal injectors, they were very rusty, for $50 I got a new reman set.

If you really want to PM and plan on keeping it for a long time you can replace the cam sensor in the back of the engine, but the Ford one (which you should only buy) is $200. There are cheap China ones but it is a major job.
Mine had enough oil on them I don’t think they’d ever rust haha. They cleaned up good tho

Attachments

• CABD09DD-7A06-4C57-8FFD-CC6819E53630.jpeg
    CABD09DD-7A06-4C57-8FFD-CC6819E53630.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 124

Mine had enough oil on them I don’t think they’d ever rust haha. They cleaned up good tho
I'm starting to believe the VCs are a ground problem the way they rust. One of my screw holes had no metal. Also lots of metal gone at the very top. I noticed a ground wire to the engine wasn't connected well. Every JY valve cover looks horrible. But yours look pristine!

I'm starting to believe the VCs are a ground problem the way they rust. One of my screw holes had no metal. Also lots of metal gone at the very top. I noticed a ground wire to the engine wasn't connected well. Every JY valve cover looks horrible. But yours look pristine!
Thanks can even still read the sticker haha. just bored while I’m waiting for parts. I got everything but one box today. The last box is coming the 10th and that’s the one with all the gaskets of course.

Attachments

• 85F530E5-3C92-42A3-A56F-5E1A77A3C317.jpeg
    85F530E5-3C92-42A3-A56F-5E1A77A3C317.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 133

Thanks can even still read the sticker haha. just bored while I’m waiting for parts. I got everything but one box today. The last box is coming the 10th and that’s the one with all the gaskets of course.
Yours is starting. The missing paint? Probably has a few years away. I would say leave it.

If someone finds the thread and wants to do it-
Brake fluid takes paint off quick (in an hour or so). Then scuff (angle grinder wheel or sandpaper) and high temp paint. If there is rust - then it makes it harder. Even the salvage ones needed electrolysis overnight.

99 sport OHV 5 speed.
CEL is on for lean bank one bank two so it’s been parked since February. Found it’s leaking coolant out of the lower intake gasket by the thermostat and the trans won’t go into gear for some reason so I decided to pull them both and get it sorted out.

Engine is going to get top end gaskets, plugs, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump probably, other stuff I have written down and a good cleanin. What else would be good to do?
i had one from new down right now clutch due to slave cyl. but it was a great truck 18 years only brakes tires thermostat at 110 fuel pump 20 mpg at 50-55 22 long ride on hwy at 75

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back