Will a 4 door hatch work on a 2 door? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 4 door hatch work on a 2 door?

Zackie

Reaction score
City, State
Flat Rock, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SporTrac
I’m trying to figure out, would a 4 door hatch work on a Explorer Sport? I’m trying to find a hatch for my sport as it’s rusted out and just asking to see if anyone knows

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m trying to figure out, would a 4 door hatch work on a Explorer Sport? I’m trying to find a hatch for my sport as it’s rusted out and just asking to see if anyone knows
95-97 hatches were all the same for each one, and 98-01 were all the same. So ya can nab it from whatever ya need and should be just fine

95-97 hatches were all the same for each one, and 98-01 were all the same. So ya can nab it from whatever ya need and should be just fine
Just can't nab the older one if yours is the newer style and vice versa

yes sir demonmudder is right iirc they are the same!

@Zackie I have a '99 2-door and a '00 4-door, can confirm that the rear hatch is the same, but note that some trim pieces may differ between the two, for visual purposes.

As I recall, the 95-98 hatch and bumper do bolt up to the 99-01 body, and vice versa, but be warned that the rear contours are not the same (early is flat, late is curved) as well as the early bumper having the license plate mount, whereas the late hatch has the license plate mount.

Observe the bottom trim piece on the Limited, absent from the Sport.
20210630_194057_HDR.jpg
20220721_132925_HDR.jpg

To help, notice that the small ridge on the side continues behind the rear wheel well and across the hatch on the Sport, but is covered by trim pieces on the Limited. I believe Eddie Bauer and Limited shared the same fender flares and body trim. Hope this helps!

My '99 XLT actually had a trim like that at the bottom of the hatch originally, the hatch I had to swap it for didnt though, but that doesn't make a fitment issue or anything. As said, can always use the older hatch, just have to swap the taillights and bumper as well as the hatch, then have to rewire the license plate lights to the bumper rather than the hatch, as stated works vice versa.
Honestly don't see that swap as often as I would think that I would, but I've seen several achieve it. I personally liked the older hatch style, but at the time of doing mine, I wasnt doing the lights and bumper with it

@DemonMudder speaks truth, I forgot that the tail lamps were also different on the 95-98's than they were on the 99-01. Good call!

(I also tend to be partial to the older style of hatch, and in fact the first-gens, with the twist handle in stead of the pull handle. I've had some problems with my pull handle, as you might recall!)

@DemonMudder speaks truth, I forgot that the tail lamps were also different on the 95-98's than they were on the 99-01. Good call!

(I also tend to be partial to the older style of hatch, and in fact the first-gens, with the twist handle in stead of the pull handle. I've had some problems with my pull handle, as you might recall!)
Yeah, the tail lights were an annoying subject, especially when it came to tail light guards!

Think I recall that, yeah. I still agree it certainly looks better than the 98-01, even the 95-97 bumper was nicer in my opinion (mainly because it was still steel rather than a reinforcement with a plastic cover). I'm old fashioned, I like a classic older look

95-97 and 98+ have different taillights and hatches…

Agree with what's been said. It's definitely possible to swap newer vs. older tailgates if you have the tailgates, bumpers, and tail lights. To really make it look right the quarter windows and side trim have to swap too.

Biggest challenge (aside from hanging any tailgate straight) is rerouting the license plate lamps from tailgate to bumper or vise versa. I did this on my '00 sport (currently has the whole rear end of my old '97 XLT) and it wasn't too bad (if you don't hate automotive wiring work).

As for the OP's question, there is no difference mechanically for 2 door vs. 4 door of the same year.

91-97 are the same hatch, not 95-97, the 91-94 is same same as 95-97, 2 door 4 door, same hatch
trim changes iare only differences

98-01 hatches are lighter and have constant issues with the glass hinges and wiper motors
the 91-97 hatches are tanks

I like the 02-03 sport hatch with the wiper in the glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oooooh la la be different because you can

The hatches for your 2001 will take any hatch from 1998 through the end of the 2nd gens(the 2003 Sport). But watch the trim on the hatch, you might want to try hard to find one with no extra holes than you need or want.

The optional trim pieces along the bottom edge of the hatches, almost all have holes behind then drilled into the hatch, for retaining clips for the trim. The 01-03 Sports for example have a very large trim cover piece, with holes behind them. Those might be a perfect match for your truck. If you get the trim off, I'd clean those holes and seal them with RTV, when you put the clips back in, to keep moisture from getting to the metal in the holes.

Back