• Register Today It's free!

Bumper Tire carrier hinge?

Savage Wolf

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport v8 5.0
I'm getting ready to make my rear bumper/ tire carrier but I have no idea what to use for a hinge, I need something strong (35" or bigger tire going on it) yet simple (dont want to waste a whole day making it) and of course something that wont cost a arm and a leg to make/buy.... Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice idea but sound little on the pricey side, was trying to figure something that I could fab in house to save $$

posting to see what is thought of

i used a kenworth semi trailer shackle...its greasable...simple and only cost about 12 bucks at the local spring shop...

hazardiz said:
i used a kenworth semi trailer shackle...its greasable...simple and only cost about 12 bucks at the local spring shop...

Neat sounding idea, you dont happen to have any pics of this do you? I want to see how this works/looks

would it be too simple to just use two different diameter tubes, and kind of put one over the other like a sleeve?

jake the snake said:
would it be too simple to just use two different diameter tubes, and kind of put one over the other like a sleeve?

well it would be, untill you start figureing weight in to it, with the tire -35" MT or AT on solid Alum wheel, a high lift jack, maybe a 5 gallon gas and 5 gallon water can the weight adds up fast, plus I dont want something that I'm going to need to fight every time I need to get in the back of the truck, and something that wont come apart or break on the trail (or while running thought the city for that matter)

RockRanger said:
www.troutindustries.com has a setup. Think it is like the rockstmper one

Ok now that is friggin sweet, price is really good on it also, would save about 30+ mins (i think) of fab work making a hub tube for a trailer spindle with that one peice

Geoff,

The trout hinges still need the axle. You have to be careful with the attachment. Take a look on the JU board, fabricators forum. A few have suggested that the welding can cause some problems at the surface of the bumper. Take a look at the Warn bumper for some ideas for reinforcement. Basically puts the hinge into a double shear for support.

I would like more info and pics as well on that Kenworth shackle. Sounds heavy duty!

I am hesitant to use those trailer axle type hinges because they have been known to fail, possibly because they became brittle after they were welded to the bumper.

The only thing stopping me from making my rear bumper is that I dont know what to use as a hinge so I am going to follow this thread.

SteveVB said:
Geoff,

The trout hinges still need the axle. You have to be careful with the attachment. Take a look on the JU board, fabricators forum. A few have suggested that the welding can cause some problems at the surface of the bumper. Take a look at the Warn bumper for some ideas for reinforcement. Basically puts the hinge into a double shear for support.

Kind of lost me there, dont quite see how welding could cause problems on the surface of the bumper unless you burn though or something, I could see it being a problem on the spindle hub w/ burn though to the bearings, or someone thinking that you could get away with just welding the spindle at the top of the bumper and not put any reinforcement/supports under there would cause problems (like the spindle bending the top of the bumper body)

Savage Wolf said:
Kind of lost me there, dont quite see how welding could cause problems on the surface of the bumper unless you burn though or something,

Heres a thread that deals with a bucnh of the problems with the hinges, its a bunch of pages, but there is some really good information and suggestions on how to make a hinge last.
hinge failure discussion on JU

SteveVB said:
Heres a thread that deals with a bucnh of the problems with the hinges, its a bunch of pages, but there is some really good information and suggestions on how to make a hinge last.
hinge failure discussion on JU

ok that thread over there has alot of good info and i'm only to page 2 out of 4 :)

well after reading all that info, the double shear hinge looks like the winner to me
Now to start working on the rest of the fun stuff like laying out my design =)

i'll hafta get a picture of the rig shackle pin...sorry on the delay on response...have been busy...i'll see what i can dig up...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hazardiz said:
sorry on the delay on response...have been busy...
That's pretty funny. It's only been a year and 3 months.

I'd like to see that set up too.

Back