Rock Slider Build 2dr '93 Sport w/ 2" BL (lot o pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rock Slider Build 2dr '93 Sport w/ 2" BL (lot o pics)

Savage Wolf

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport v8 5.0
Ok so I'm sick of beating up my rockers, So I finally broke down and started a small set of rock sliders for my rig... I'll let the pics explain the rest :D

Note: This is really not my best work, due to the fact that these were made totaly out of scrap metal that I had buryed under a foot of snow in the mud...

endcut.jpg

endclose.jpg

mockup2.jpg

mockup.jpg

topweld.jpg

bottomweld.jpg

rearbracket.jpg

Weather caused me to take a break...
snow.jpg

More to follow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More pics
setup to drill..
slider1.jpg

Painting
slider2.jpg

slider3.jpg

For the top of the sliders to make them usable as steps
slider4.jpg

slider5.jpg

Holes... which are a PITA to do
slider6.jpg

slider7.jpg

Looks good. Who cares what they look like though, as long as they work right?

Looks like you have an abundance of grocery getters in your driveway!

See, i'm not the only one who builds sliders AFTER you damage the rocker panels :p

Looks good though...nice chop saw too, I hate my abrasive chop saw but it works.

the ford boat (wagon) is a parts car someone got for the v8 thats in it, the toyota wagon I cant really complain about, its the shop car atm 30mpg, v6, '95 w/ 70k miles and has only needed a new battery, perfect for running to the welding shop to get rods and cylinders refills in, or running out to get bolts and parts :D *BUT thats not all... It still fits in parking garages :p

Yes, I heard all about the caddymuflapous(he he) thing

DB_1 said:
See, i'm not the only one who builds sliders AFTER you damage the rocker panels :p

Looks good though...nice chop saw too, I hate my abrasive chop saw but it works.

I have stealth damage on my truck :D d/s rocker is smashed up about a inch+ but is under the tupperware so you cant see it

Brennan and I got to see those bad boys in person- Wolf's being very modest about his welding ability... They're strong as hell and they look really sweet! ;)

You don't have any measurements do you? I'd love to have a set like that for my Sport. Maybe I could drive up over the summer and we could make me a set? (you'd be rewarded for your labors with beer and pizza of course ;))

Really nice job on the sliders Wolf. Looks great :thumbsup:

for the moment I'm not even going to think about making sliders like this set to sell, I really threw these together with out much planning, on the drawing board is a recever type set of sliders (sorta like the sets that were being sold before on the board) but its still up in the air

Ok now for the final pics of the installed sliders (which suck to install)

psslider.jpg

psclose.jpg

psfrtmount.jpg

Why installing sliders SUCKS! :frustrate
pita.jpg

dsslider.jpg

And after all was said and done :hammer:
pslider.jpg

dslider.jpg

Is that a U-haul blanket I see there? No wonder they hate you Explorer guys, stealing their equipment...lol :p

Looks good :thumbsup: Now go out and abuse em!

Hokie said:
You don't have any measurements do you?

With a 2" BL I'd bet the measurements between your 1st Gen Sport and my 2nd Gen Sport wouldn't be that different. I really like the simplicity/functionality of those.

Very nice work. Looks good. I also plan on making some simple sliders.

Wow, I never thought I'd see enough space in that garage to fully pull in an Explorer..Hey look! FLOOR! Didja have the same problem with the gas tank strap that Tank had last summer? :D

Looks good, Wolfster! :thumbsup: Now we just have to put them to the test......... Muah ha ha :eek:

Reminds me of putting sliders on Doug's truck.....gas tank was fun and messy!!!!

The final product looks great, nice job. :thumbsup:

So what size tubing are the main beams? I like the look of the square tube notched at a 45....plan to be making some this summer myself

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

picked up some 2x4's on the way home today to mock up the sliders and get all of the dimensions correct

I'll have my dad pick up the steel from a yard in Charlottesville and bring it down to me in 2 weeks ~ then its fabrication time!

That is, of course, if you don't mind me "borrowing" your design ;)

Back