2003 Explorer Transmission Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Transmission Problem

cknorw

Reaction score
City, State
Hiram, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Crown and 03 Explorer
I looked through the forum and found similar info, but symptoms don't quite match mine. For give me if duplication.

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT, 4.0v6, 196,200 miles. Original Transmission. The vehicle was a company car driven primarily on the freeway for its first 166,600 miles. My wife drives it now so I don't have a good feel of any symptoms leading up to its current problem. Finally had a chance to drive it today. Hope description makes sense....

First gear seems to engage and hold well. Second gear won't engage until you got off the throttle. If you stay in throttle (just normal driving), the RPM will reach/exceed 3000. I didn't push the issue, always got off the throttle and would immediately engage second. Once second engages, third and forth seem good. Will not engage overdrive. Before, final drive speed at say 55, rpm below 2000, now at or above. If going at very low speed, seems like shifting to neutral and then will not engage second. You have to slow enough to go back to first. The issue is accompanied by flashing O/D. If you drive with O/D off, no flashing O/D. If O/D on, O/D starts flashing once you come up to speed. Triggered CEL this morning... P0775. CEL did not trigger with initial occurance. Had fluid checked, not changed, 6000 miles ago. No evidence of leak under vehicle; completely dry! Obviously, no dipstick to check level. Have not crawled under to check yet. Will do today! (It takes a dipstick to design a tranny without a dipstick!) Looking for ideas!

This forum was extremely helpful four years ago, helped me rebuild my 4r70W in my 99 Crown Vic. Crown still going strong, with just about 60k on the tranny. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The overdrive servo piston is broken or worst case scenario the band.

2003 Explorer Transmission

Thanks to you swetrid and others on this site for pointing me in the right direction.

I finally got the chance over the Holidays to investigate. After performing a band adjustment and concluding the bands were intact, I pulled the overdrive servo cover and found a busted servo! Will replace the overdrive and intermediate servos. Thanks to Metrix for his post on the servo fix.

I gingerly pulled the servo pin (rest of servo not connected) and replaced it, trying to feel for bore wear. Felt virtually no lateral movement, very snug.

Now for my fix... I believe I have a 5R55S transmission based on the door label. The specs linked on this site identify the 2003 as having a 5R55W. Various threads here identify both. Are the servos the same for both? Can anyone advise further?

The problem with the truck started immediately, was not a gradual thing. Wife didn't notice any flare or driveability problem prior to the busted servo. The truck was a company truck (traveling sales at my company) for its first 166K miles, better than 80% being freeway mileage. Don't believe the wear on the transmission is typical of a truck with 196K miles. Given no previous issues and its history, should I be concerned about the servo bores, or solenoid block? Any opinions? Thanks for the help!

The truck has been parked since mid November. Wife is eager to get it back!

I have a 2003 4.0L Eddie Explorer 154,000 that threw a p0775 code only 1 time so far. Happened 1/14/11, and hasnt done it since. Per the door sticker it also says I have a 5r55s. Did you get yours fixed? I bought both new servos with the shafts machined and o-rings installed. I'm going to replace mine next weekend hopefully.

Yes, Its fixed for now. Broken OD servo. Replaced both and all seems well. No engine light, no flashing OD off light. The jury is still out on the bores. Did you fix yours?

I will be working on it Saturday. (1-22-11) I'll post back with my results.

Okay, so I went to my Dads who has a nice toasty heated garage. It was decided to make room I unbolted the passenger side of the exhaust and then cut the crossover pipe right down the middle.

Now to the servos I started with the smaller sized servo. Get the snap ring off, and remove the cap. The servo was stuck in the bore pretty good. I had to use a back side of the drill bit and put in the end of the servo and wiggle it out. When it was out, very little trans fluid leaked out, a few drops.

Moved to the larger one, and that servo came out easily, about a cup of fluid came out. The larger servo had noticible play. And probably was my problem. Replaced both servo's with the machined with o-rings from ebay. (The guy actually lives near me) Put it back together. My dad welded a sleeve into the pipe of the exhaust, and I put the exhaust back on. He then welded around the pipe as much as he could. NO exhaust leaks. Test drive, and everything seems fine. I didnt do the band adjustment, I was tired. I probably will do that in the summer. I will want to do a fluid change by then anyway. Hopefully this thing will run in the 200's, if i dont get rid of it by then.

I have a 2003 eddie bauer explorer v8 awd. 166,000mi. Do not have drive unless I start out in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. We I am driving I can shift into drive and it works until I take my foot off the gas, then I lose Drive again and need to shift to 3rd.
Ford dealer started off with a lot of codes off then told me I need a new or used transmission ($3000 and up). What do you think?

Back