Made some quick disconnect rear sway bar links | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Made some quick disconnect rear sway bar links

The Breeze

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Sport Trac XLS
I am getting ready to add a leaf to my sport trac which already has the warrior shackles so I needed longer sway bar links. Then while I was at it I decided to make them easy to take off when I go offroading. It only takes a few hours and $6.
All you need is 2 clips, a 10" black steel pipe with 1/2" inside diameter.

Once you have the sway bar links off you will have to cut off one end or the other. It doesnt really matter which side it is. Cut about an inch up from the weld on the side you choose.
Take the steel pipe and cut the threads off. You can use a sawzall but a pipe cutter leaves a much nicer cut. After the threads are off, the pipe will be about 8" so cut that in half.
Take the longer side of the sway bar link and slip it in until the pipe reaches the bend in the link. Now you can tack the pip so it doesnt move or just hold it still but you need to drill a hole through the pipe and link to slip the clip through.
Once that is done all you need to do is weld the connection that was cut off to the other side of the steel pipe. Just make sure that when you drill the hole and weld the other side that you make the clip easy to access and the links line up. When I drilled the hole I made it run the same way as the bolt hole in the link. When I welded the top I put the Link back in the truck and tacked it so I knew it would all line up.
Now just grind it up and paint it all. Thats about it. If you have any questions let me know. Its pretty simple. You should end up with something like this.
DSC00473.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great job! nice little write up

Definitely going to do this in the future sometime. I don't mind having it disconnected all the time except when I tow or have a lot of weight so I still need it. Nice writeup :thumbsup:

Genius! Wish I woulda done this instead

Thanks! The pins are simple enough to pull, they dont have to much resistance. I also tried driving around with them off but with the lift I am going to be pretty top heaving and I dont feel like tipping my truck back off its roof :D

Brian1- Thanks. I didnt really take that into account when I was making them.. I will definitely have to keep my eye on them. It wouldnt be too difficult to go bigger if need be.

Looks nice, I'll be referencing this again when it comes time to do mine. Thanks!

Its been 2 weeks since ive put these on my truck. They have been holding up well. The pin is a little difficult to pull because I drilled the hole the exact size of the pin, because I didnt want a rattle.
I disconnected them before we went up the mountain and the flex was amazing without the rear sway bar. I didnt get any pictures though, but I will get some of the sway bar connected and disconnected.

I know this is an older thread but here are some pics of the flex that I had with the sway bar links disconnected.
This is the wheel completely stuffed.
DSC00522_zpsc3467231.jpg

This is the other at full droop.
DSC00520_zpsb3283350.jpg

Back