0-60 in under 6.5??? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

0-60 in under 6.5???

I would love to increase the acceleration of my ex... What mods can I do that will get my 0-60 times in under 6.5sec? This of course with nitrous. I was thinking:
Nitrous
Intake
Exhaust
?????
Please list some other mods that will get my 0-60 down!
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Darkfox, if you're really having that loss of power, then a charger would only be a band-aid. We've been telling you for a long time that your motor is a dud :(

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I'll go to our our dealership later this week so tell me everything thats wrong w/ it, becasue your dealership is just fu!@#$ around if they think 15sec. to 60 is normal. I also remember you saying it smells when you give it gas. So is there anything else you want me to know? When I go down there I'll give them what you said and see what they would recomend to look into, b/c there is something definetley wrong with your motor!

well, as long as its not onna those kids bandaids.. that'll be fine. I'm not replacing the motor heh

DarkFox - if you can make a trip one day to Atlanta, let me know. I have a few friends around here that can help pinpoint what is wrong with your X. One in particular - he works for a dealership and knows more about the factory setups than anyone I have ever talked to anywhere. If anyone can straighten it out - he could, and not charge you dealership prices.

Let me know...

Oh yeah - The Explorer Express kit was an Eaton M90... that is where mine came from with some mods to it...

DarkFox1 - Maybe you mentioned this before, but did you buy your vehicle new? And, if so did it always behave this way? Yours definately is not running right. Your times are about where my '82 2.5L Toyota pickup ran. The slowest V8 times I have seen are around 8.9. Usually it is around 8.5-8.7 for an AWD, 8.2-8.4 for a 2WD. You really need to hook up with someone local that knows what they are doing. It's apparent that your dealer doesn't.

CobraXP, have you dynoed your X? What other mods do u have besides your charger? And what numbers are you running in the 0-60/quarter? just curious.

wait, i just read your sig lol, scratch that second questions.

It was bought new yes, 15 miles on the clock. I dont think its ever been like this before, if it has I only just recently noticed it. no, infact, I recall it being just fine as late as 2 years ago. When we were going on vacation that year I had to pass a rig, and the thing managed to get from 40-85 in just a few seconds, it doesn't do that anymore, infact keeping it floored now seems to max out at 75. (I was passing the rig cos the lane I was in was merging into him)

I dont know of anyone local that knows what they're doing and/or will do it on an explorer. All the "speed shops" laugh at me for "trying to make an suv fast" sure they'll sell me mods and stuff, but they want $50 just to check for error codes and stuff.

210 horses stock is it an OHV or a SOHC. Mine is a SOHC with 206 stock how is yours 210.

uh, who? I thought the SOHC was rated at 200 and the 5L 210

The HP ratings change from year to year. I think early SOHCs were 205/206 and the later ones were 210. But prolly worng about that.

Do these small changes make any real difference?....NO

Robb

Eric - I haven't been to the track this summer since the charger was put on, but will be going in about a week. Blew a header gasket this past weekend coming home from work playing around with a Mustang...

Once I go, I'll post the tickets for times. Curious to see what it does myself. I didn't put the Eaton and some of the other stuff on until 135,000 miles - now have right at 140,000. Trying not to push too hard until winter so I will have time to rebuild it then. I hate cold weather... messes up my summer activities...

you got some guts putting a 'charger on a 135,000 mile engine- but i respect that...:) I've got 109,00 miles and really want a supercharger (but have nowhere near enough money) and was wondering about the implications of forced induction on a high milage engine- anybody know if all that bad stuff happens (broken valve springs, busted gaskets, etc), or is that just the supercharger manufactures covering their butts?

i have seen high-mileage 5.0's (mustang) do well with a charger. the 5.0 has a very, very well built bottom end that will handle lots of abuse for many miles. obviously, how much boost you run will dictate how long it lasts. but, you can get a built 5.0 shortblock with lower compression forged pistons (to run more boost) for dirt cheap. they are everywere. im about 2 months away from puttin' a charger on mine, and it just hit 100k. i will drive the p!ss out of it, and at a later date, go with a forged pistoned short block. the 4.0's, well you better ask Alec about those... i dont know how many miles he has on his, but he's runnin' boost and nitrous.

I wouldn't put a blower on an OHV with more than 60k, unless you know it's perfect. I've had mine since 40k, and now have 73k. I can tell the boost (avg 6 psi) is taking it's toll a bit.

wonderful.. well that shoots down my idea of ever having a drivable vehicle..

guess I'll have to trade it in for a bowtie one day.

Originally posted by DarkFox1
wonderful.. well that shoots down my idea of ever having a drivable vehicle..

guess I'll have to trade it in for a bowtie one day.

Why don't you take it to another dealer or preferably independent mechanic for a look see?

hehe, I plan to, as soon as I get the money. a charger was on my to-do list whether they found something wrong or not tho.. now this mileage thing.. sounds like that ideas out all together.

Darkfox, how many miles do you have on yours? like i said, the 5.0 has a strong bottom end, and unless you have 150k+, or plan to run more than 8psi, you'll be fine...

66k, I wanted a 9 psi model, of course you know they dont make one for us, only 6 psi that I've seen, and even then thoes cost twice what 9 psi models do for other makes/models.

Thats an unrealistic goal anyway, I'll never have $4500 to throw away into this thing.

Back