0-60 in under 6.5??? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

0-60 in under 6.5???

I would love to increase the acceleration of my ex... What mods can I do that will get my 0-60 times in under 6.5sec? This of course with nitrous. I was thinking:
Nitrous
Intake
Exhaust
?????
Please list some other mods that will get my 0-60 down!
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not have put the charger on this high if I dodn't already have some other plans in mind. My garage is beginning to look like an old SuperShop store - parts sitting everywhere...

9lb is just a change of a pulley. I have one sitting in the garage, right next to the brand new '93 Cobra longblock that will be going in when the engine now can't go anymore.... hehehehehe

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

ah well.. as soon as I win the lotto I'll be able to afford a mechanic to have mine looked at. otherwise, I'm just gonna hafta put up with it, cos I can'tr shell out $50-$100 just to take a look.

Darkfox,
Might be worth the money tho when the mechanic looks at it and says you have a major problem and thats why your truck is running the way it is..

heh, na I mean. I can't shell out $50-100... period, I dont have that kind of money to throw out right now :( stupid a+ certification test cost me the majarity of my money, and hasn't helped me a bit to get a job. so until then I gotta put up with it I guess :( I just wish I drove during the day like it does at night, its sooooooooo much nicer at night, I can actally climb a hill w/o almost flooring it.

what makes it perform better at night? It may seem that way because when its dark it always seems like you are going faster (it does for me anyway).

temperature

theres no drag on the transmission, its easier to get up to speed, it gets up to speed faster with less effort less pedal, it doesn't slow down as much when I let off the gas, if I give it heavy pedal it doesn't stink like it does during the day, it still shifts funny sometimes, but half as often.

the other day I was heading to school at 6:30 (class starts at 8.. BAD parking problems) and I'm almost outta gas, its running WONDERFUL, I'm running less than 1/2 pedal and cruising up to speed, no problems except tjhat I'm low on gas, so I go in, shut it off, put gas in it, crank it back up..unbeleivablly slow, working its brains out trying to get up to speed shifting horriblly.. I only put 1/4 tank in it and its not the gas.. it has done this many times in the past.. its as if the thing is getting a bad boot or something.. like its running windows lol

and theres no way you can tell me 84 and 74 makes THAT big of a difference... , sorry saw yer post as I was posting :p I beleive it is temp related yes, but I dont think its the temp of the air going into the engine actually changing power, I tihnk theres something mechanical/electrically wrong thats being.. stimulated? by the temp.

Well, after reading this whole thread I'm a little surprised at somebody getting a 12 out of a SOHC...

I didn't take mine out on a back road: I took it to the track, which I recommend for everybody who wants 'real' times....it's usually only a few bucks and a wait in line. I have the SOHC with no mods other than a drop in K&N and a flowmaster and the best it can do is a high 15....

Alec, I've been kicking around the idea of adding some NOS to my engine...a friend mentioned ZEX to me and said its cheaper than venom. Can I get some free advice? :D

How do I keep it from damaging my engine, which has 72K miles on it already? :rolleyes:
Is it worth it for the extra HP? How much could I shave off on my lap times?

Thanks man!

The ZEX kit is great. It adds the extra fuel for you through the stock fuel system so you don't have to worry. If you start with a 55 shot and make sure everything works, you can probably run a 65 or 70 shot reliably.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who got a 15 0-60 :p Personally, just IMO, I wouldn't run nitrous, it can easily put a lot of wear on the engine, and its only there when you push the button, unless you race, I just dont think it'd be worth the investment with a daily.

btw is it even possible to run a "wet" nitrous setup in a fuel injected vehicle?

The ZEX is a dry nitrous system, but it ups the fuel pressure through the stock FPR and injectors, dumping more fuel into the motor.

As long as you have it set up correctly and the motor is well maintained, nitrous is fine on the motor.

Originally posted by Spas
Well, after reading this whole thread I'm a little surprised at somebody getting a 12 out of a SOHC...
Thanks man!

I think your talking about my post a few pages before, now that I read it, it's a little confusing. I meant 12's (as in at least 12 sec to 60 with a lift like Redcamarro), definitley not 12's in the 1/4. You ran a pretty good time, I still don't know why some of the trucks here are running slow. Look at the times I got a few pages before using the g-tec on ours and neighbors vehicles. And his Ex and S4 both ran the same times (give or take .1 sec) on the g-tec as he did at Morosso.

My 2001 Sport runs 0-60 in 7.9 sec stock. I wonder if i'm under 7 by now after Diablo chip, Flowmaster and K&N. Who knows but i shall give her some 75 pills one day.

For 2K, i can only say one thing, NOS!!! Nos and gears if you can install them yourself, would be awsome. Plus Nos being so cheap will leave you with plenty of extra money to keep it safe.

whoops, computer is really slow, read below!

Ive got a 97 SOHC with 130000 on the clock, and i ran between 8.5 and 9.2 in the 0-60 with only a k and n filter, (filter, not intake), and a shot exaust system, by shot i mean holes behind muffler and rear hager broke, so its bouncing on my leaf, not good. But yea, 14 sounds WAY WAY WAY to slow. Even for the SOHC. And surprisingly enough (none of the car dealers believe me when i say this) the SOHC are faster than the 5.0 stock. ive owned 3 explorers. one with the OHV, one with the SOHC, and one with the 5.0.. I like the power and the feel of the SOHC, the sound at idle of the 5.0, its not loud at all stock compaired to the SOHC. but i must saw, driving the 5.0 i feel like the king of the road! HA, but trannys certinaly make a difference. I noticed the 5.0 shifts at 5000 rpm at around 40 MPH, where teh SOHC shifts at 6000 RPM at 55 MPH. And where each shifts to makes a big difference. Gears are important! If you want faster 0-60 times, do gears first with intake and exaust mods.. Then fool around with NOS and s/c and all that jazz! :thumbsup:

Mine is around a 7 flat (7.06, 7.03 consistent back to back runs). I'm very confident about this but I have no proof (data) so don't ask. Best I can do is shoot a video. I feel I would be in the 6 second range with better traction.

4.0 SOHC NA with almost every bolt-on you can buy.

Data can be had at any track.

Thanks Aldive. What would I do without you?

PS - My local track is closed. Will not open for a couple months. Any suggestions?

Back