02 Sport Trac. I'm thinking of putting a 5.0L or a 4.6L in it, and I need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac. I'm thinking of putting a 5.0L or a 4.6L in it, and I need help.

jbellard

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Exp. Sport Trac 2WD
Hey Guys....I'm new to this site I've been reading alot of threads and alot of you guys know your stuff when it comes to Sport Trac's. I have an 02 Sport Trac auto, 2wd and I'm wanting to drop a V8 and ultimately want to get about 500HP to the wheels all motor. I haven't really seen to many people putting this kind of power in a sport trac. It would be nice to whoop that mustangs ass for a change.
Thanks for all your help and thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome there is a guy on the forum that has a 5.0 in his sport trac

Forget the 4.6L unless you're just making a dragster and want to chop it all up. The 4.6L is a BFM!

Why don't you just buy a Mustang if you want to go fast? You have a guy with a Sport Trac who wants to out run a Mustang.....you have a Mustang owner who wants to out run a Camaro....you have a Camaro owner who wants to out run a Corvette. I drive a Sport Trac because I like the truck...Oh if I want to go fast I drive my 2005 GT Mustang.

Welcome to the forum!

No offense but everybody has a mustang, camaro or some silly import. You dont see to many bad ass trucks anymore. I like my Trac and want to see what it can do and have some fun.

More power to ya.. Its nice to see some different things. You appreciate things more when you put your blood sweat and tears into something.. Look forward to the end product.

The best option is to find a wrecked 01 5.0 Explorer. There are some write-ups here and at MySportTrac.com on how to do this. The main issue is the theft control and PATS key because an 02 Trac would have that and an 01 Explorer wouldn't but it can be worked around.

If you really want a sleeper drop a supercharger on the 4.0. If you add the after cooler you can get close to 200 additional HP and loads of added torque. It would be silent, but deadly. With the gearing of the Sport Trac and the 8.8 rear end it would be a nasty combination. Check out the "X" charger it is a pretty nice unit.

Oh...no offence taken. I have been a Mustang man for years and years. My first car was (and still own it) a 1967 GTA Coupe. I have it and a 2005 Mustang GT as well and it is a nice ride. I bought my Sport Trac as my DD. I have always loved the look of the truck and finally found a good deal on one and picked it up. Good luck with your project.

it can be done real easy. try here at www.mysporttrac.com there are aleast 5 sporttrac on the site that has done with the v8 awd swap and a couple with just v8`s

it can be done real easy. try here at www.mysporttrac.com there are aleast 5 sporttrac on the site that has done with the v8 awd swap and a couple with just v8`s

There is?? I only know of 1 and have been a member on there since 2002.

Definitely go with a 5.0L. The 4.6L is huge and is going to be a big project to fit it.
Find a late model Explorer (later of the 95-01 models) with a 5.0L. Swap in the engine, transmission, ECU, etc. Actually the AWD transfer case would be a good idea with that is well, since there is no way you are going to get enough traction on the rear wheels of a sport trac with a built V8.

I want to do the same swap, and thought about both the 5.0 and the 4.6. I want the extra power and something more easily modifyable than the 4.0. Don't waste your time telling me to get a Mustang.....I got 3 ('66GT, '94Cobra, '95GT). Im in the process of swaping in a 5 liter into my '95 ranger now, again I want the power and traction won't be a problem with either vehicle at hiway cruising speeds when trying to pass!

Back