02 Sport White Face Gauge Question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport White Face Gauge Question?

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've had a instrument cluster for a while but I'm waiting to get my odometer turned and white gear indicator before I installed it.

Question is, does anyone have the part number for the white gear indicator? I think Aldive may have done this, but I'm not sure. Second, is it just an overlay or is it a hard install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BeauJ said:
I've had a instrument cluster for a while but I'm waiting to get my odometer turned and white gear indicator before I installed it.

Question is, does anyone have the part number for the white gear indicator? I think Aldive may have done this, but I'm not sure. Second, is it just an overlay or is it a hard install?

I installed the white instrument cluster in my '99 ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132058&highlight=white+face ). I did not change the gear selector to white because I like it better the way it is.

What are you asking about an overlay?

aldive said:
What are you asking about an overlay?

I'm asking do you have to replace the whole indicator or does the white face overlay over the stock black one? It might have been Ronnie who did this then.

BeauJ said:
I'm asking do you have to replace the whole indicator or does the white face overlay over the stock black one? It might have been Ronnie who did this then.

Sorry, I have never seen a white indicator except in pictures and it appears not to be an overlay.

Good luck .....

I did this.

It connects right in, it's plug and play dude. All 3 plugs go directly into the new cluster, and if you change the gear selector, all you have to do is connect the wire from the old one to the new one and adjust it accordingly, it's very easy.

Gauge install

Its really not difficult to install the entire cluster. You do, however have alot of pieces to dismantle - such as the radio bezel, lower knee bolster and reinforcement ( panels under the steering column), and of course the gauge bezel. Now once you gain complete access to the cluster, be careful to dis-connect the cable that runs from the cluster (shift indicator) down to the steering column. It is spring loaded and requires you to spin the little black nut from the threaded shaft of the cable and remove the loop in the cable from the hook on the steering column (this is why you have to remove the lower covers from the dash). Its really not difficult,like I said, it just takes a little while to get everything taken apart carefully.

I do have a white cluster from a sport in my Mounty.

:confused:

I did the white face thing from an '02 Sport. I took the overlays off the new cluster and installed them onto my OEM cluster. I did so because I didn't want to screw around with the odometer. I also swapped out the gear indicator to the white one (very simple). I do plan to swap out the whole cluster once I catch up to the mileage on the new one.

I did remove the needles and installed the new ones. Took a while to calibrate the speedo needles and tach. If my Scangauge does show up in the next 6000 km, it will be used for the next swap out.

Swapping out a speedo cluster is dead easy, but there are lots of steps involved to get at it. I learned all I know from searching around the site.

Have fun with it.

Yes, I know how to install them. I took them out to do the reverse glow gauges.

Celly, I've got a few questions for you. Where did you get the gear indicator? Is it an overlay or just plug in? Preciate the help.

EDIT: Nevermind about saying you guys didn't read what I said. After I read back over it, it looks like I'm asking is the install hard for the cluster, but I'm asking about the gear indicator. Sorry for not clearing that part up :D

My gear indicator came with my cluster. It's NOT an overlay really like the other gauges. I "might" have another white one, but the cable is cut. It definitely looks more at home with the other gauges than the black one. Same font, colours etc. I think there is a way it can be salvaged (using your existing cabling). I am away from home right now but may be able to locate it next week. Let me know if interested.

Celly, I'd definetly be interested in it. How do you install it is what I'm asking?

It just snaps into the cluster. Dead easy. The little cable does need to be attached to a little thingy near the steering column (little more disassembly required). Sorry, can't be more descriptive. I found out how to do it on another thread on how to microadjust the indicator (i.e. indicator not pointing to the right gear).

Back home on Sunday. (in Wisconsin for past week).

"I've had a instrument cluster for a while but I'm waiting to get my odometer turned and white gear indicator before I installed it."

How do you turn the odometer, I am looking at getting a cluster off ebay and both of them either have like 28k or 0k on the odemeter itself, I would really like to install the cluster but I want the odometer to show the actual miles on my truck (125K) how is this done, or can it be done? If it can be done IO would love to know how because then I will get the cluster.

Sorry about getting a little side tracked from your gear selector question. For the record I knoe that the gear slector that is white is a Ford part (not sure of the p# though) You just snap it into place and connect it to where the old one was, it is the exact same as the balck one except its white instead everything else is the same.

-Sean

I've heard mixed comments about getting odos turned. Some people have had an easy time of finding places to get it done, some people have done it themselves, others say it's difficult to find a place.

Best bet would be to call a few dealers and see what they say as a starting point. I've also heard there are outside companies that do it. It got too complicated for me so I'm just waiting until my odo catches up the the odo on my new cluster (about another 6,000 km to go).

Hey thanks Celly, I will definately look into it at the local Ford shop. Just curious, is the spedometer on your X in kmph in large numbers with saller mpH, or is it the same as ours with mph in big and kph in small? Just something I thought about, cause our Grand prix only has one set of numbers but can be set to km/h if we want I tell you its a funny joke to pull as long as you can remember how to turn it back!

thanks again for the info

km/h in big numbers.

Dead Link Removed

I installed mine today. Two things. My check engine light doesn't come on and when the doors are open the 'check fuel cap' or whatever light is illuminated instead of a 'door ajar'. Any other 95-97ers install one of these things?

Back