06 Explorer Makign Vacuum Sounds, Engine Temp Erratic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Makign Vacuum Sounds, Engine Temp Erratic

gaddamidi

Reaction score
City, State
Wimington DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6
Ok, I purchased my pre-owned 2006 Ford Explorer about a 1 1/2 years ago. When i go my car with about 36k miles on it, it would occasionally make a loud THUD sound when the vehicle was put into reverse. Not with any other gear but reverse. This sound seems to happen more often when I start the engine and pull out of a parking spot with a cold engine (not having been driven in hours). I never had this checked out as it was only occasionally ( 2 times a month)

About a month ago, as I'm driving, there is a vacuum cleaner sound coming from the engine compartment. There is no rhyme or reason. It started out occasionally and only lasted for a minute or two. But over the last month, it seems to happen every time I drive. Now the sound will be there for about 2 minutes and then go away for 10, come back, etc. Also, now my heat gauge occasionally races up to to super hot but then comes right back down within a matter of seconds. It also clicks up and down erratically. Once, in the last month, my car seemed to be stuck in a lower gear. I live near a major highway and my car was acting normal until the 3 block drive to the highway. As soon as I stepped on the pedal to get from 15 mph to 60 mph, the car didn't leave a lower gear to get into the higher gears. As soon as I made my way into the right lanes (on-ramp is on the left lanes) and slowed down, the engine/transmission corrected itself and this issue hasn't come back.

So in review:
Sound when getting into Reverse
Vacuum sounds from the engine compartment
Erratic temperature gauge
One time issue of gears

Welcome to the forum! it sounds like you might have an issue with the transmission. Both the thuds and the one gear issue are pretty common in the explorer and even with the low mileage, there still could be an issue. As for the vacuum issue it might be a vacuum leak which could be the intake manifold. I would probably have someone run a diagnostic on the transmission and try to find the vacuum leak is.

Back