1.6 RR'S are the worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1.6 RR'S are the worth it?

I have done some searches and read mixed reviews so I will just flat out ask. Are 1.6...or even 1.7 rr's worth the trouble on the stock X cam?

As of now I have MAC intake and exhaust, next month I plan on ordering a set of TM,s and a 1" intake spacer. A tunner (SCT) will come a month or so later then an e-fan upgrade. A couple of my friends said that while I have the intake off would it benifit me to go with rr's? I personally think that without a cam it won't really do me any good....what do you guys say?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you ought to forget the roller rockers. Use the money for powdercoating the upper intake and valve covers.

Either one will have equal performance gains. You'll be able to see the powder coat though. :D

Ok, I am biased.;)

Generally speaking, roller rocker arms only provide improvement when revving higher than 6,000 RPM's to seek the power curve.

TURDLE, you'll be the guy I contact when I'm ready for that powder coating.:D

I agree
However they are cheap enough and may free up some power, just by having roller tips.

If you are going to do a cam then go ahead and do new lifters/pushrods and fancy roller rockers.
The factory stamped rockers are 1.6 and work just fine.

The cam really wakes up the GT_40 5.0L though :) no roller rockers needed... I did them, they were under $200 and a HUGE PITA to install, but they are under there and they work hahaha I doubt I gained anything doing the RR, except they look cool, sound good, and peace of mind knowing I installed them myself and replaced 96K mile lifters/rods/rockers.....

I now want to go back and just get some better heads or at least work a set of gt-40's over a bit, that is money well spent a good set of heads matched to a performance cam :) the factory explorer cam and computer tune is WEAK, really stealing performance frm your V8 explorer.......of course none of this will do you any good unless you first remove the restrictive stock exhaust manifolds :)

Thanks guys, that's what I figured about the rr's. I had plans to do a cam but I don't think I want to go that far just yet. I'll do the mods I have planned and when I get tired of that performance then maybe I' go that route.

Aren't the stock rockers 1.6? The stockers on my 5.2 are 1.6, I swapped them for Harland Sharp 1.7s roller rockers and there is a noticable difference (Dynos have shown 10-15 rwhp for my application). The extra lift from the higher ratio helps the low end a bit and the lift combined with the rollers really help above 4K. My fuel mileage went up a bit too. Once I added the Mopar ECM it really woke it up down low when combined with the rockers.

I would think that going with 1.7's would hurt my low end power. I could (very possibly) be wrong. Anybody else?

Back