Mods while 5.0 motor is out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mods while 5.0 motor is out?

I'm getting ready to pull my 5.0 from my 2000 Ex to put it into my 2001 Sport Trac... I'm trying to decide what I should do to it while the motor is out, keeping in mind a budget of around $500. I've already got the following to be installed:
TM Headers
MAC intake
1" intake spacer
new plugs and Taylor wires
new 02 sensors
exhaust
electric fan w/ DC controller

I'm thinking possibly either roller rockers or a cam, maybe both depending on price.. I'm looking for good, solid power through the lower and mid range. I do a bit of towing, but nothing major, just want real usable power. What woud you guys recommend? Which cam and rockers (1.6 or 1.7), and what should I expect to spend adding in any extras to complete the jobs on top of the main parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, at this point, considering your budget-
I'd call James (Jah81592)and address the tuning.
A cam swap will be more than 500, you will have to tune for it--see?

James could probably get you an xcal-this way you would have the ability to swutch "tunes" depending if you are towing or not. These "tunes" will also be able to control shifting.

The cam and roller rockers are right at about $500 not including new lifters and pushrods. You should also do the timing set and water pump while you are in there so the $$$ keeps growing.

I didn't have to tune for my cam although eventually I will.....

I vote cam and rollers while the engine is out for sure

The cam and roller rockers are right at about $500 not including new lifters and pushrods. You should also do the timing set and water pump while you are in there so the $$$ keeps growing.

I didn't have to tune for my cam although eventually I will.....

I vote cam and rollers while the engine is out for sure

Yeah--the cam gets my vote if he can push the budget up. I don't want to suggest he could do it for 500 though. I'd double the budget if you want to come out happy.
Another hitch--98 and later came out with nylon lifter guides-add another 60 for the guide retrofit kit and new spider--

98 later has pushrod guides on the p heads??????????????????????????

or the lifter retainers are nylon?

I have been wanting to put pushrod guides on my 96 engine, the heads have to be machined to accept them

So are you talking pushrod guides or lifter retainers?

98 later has pushrod guides on the p heads??????????????????????????

or the lifter retainers are nylon?

I have been wanting to put pushrod guides on my 96 engine, the heads have to be machined to accept them

So are you talking pushrod guides or lifter retainers?

yeah--the lifter retainer-guide thingy's were nylon in mine--
I have a 1 peice ( for each side) billet guide plate, but I can't find it on-line now. I got it from CHP---
These guides keep the lifters from going sideways, which would wipe your motor out quick--
Higher, more rapid lift doesn't mix well with this nylon, in my mind--

And yes also--almost everyone recommends machining the heads for rocker studs when increasing the lift-valve speed. The pedestals with 5/16" bolts just won't last long. Have the heads machined for 7/16" studs--this will add about 100 per head--
This setup will require pushrod guideplates--

Which ratio rockers would you guys recommend? I'll probably be installing a Baumann kit in the tranny, and the X-cal2 has been in the back of my mind. As much as I want to do the cam, I'm beginning to think the price of the little details, plus needing the tune might put it over what I want to spend right now. Maybe the rockers and X-cal2 would be the best bang for the buck at the moment.. the rockers won't require anything else aside from a few gaskets and some time, right?

but you can do those mods when the engine is in

The explorer cam is really really doggy I highly suggest you consider a cam and rollers

You might notice a gain from 1.7s--

There will be a small gain from freeing up a bit of weight--but not much.
I think billet rockers are a bit heavier then the stock stamped arms, but you will gain a bearing at the fulcrum ( pivot ) point, and a roller at the valve-which will drag the valve stem less.

Stay away from "blue racer by crane" arms--

I actually have http://store.summitracing.com/partde...6&autoview=sku in my 5.0 which is a fairly cheap set but not the cheapest they're good in my book. :thumbsup: i also have a set of energizers in my Z28 and they've been in there for 36k miles no problems
I would also suggest a cam while its out, just do the rockers later... it sucks nuts to get the upper intake back on with all the connections and hoses when you're trying to line up the gasket while its in the truck but its not too hard. you're not gonna be able to do the cam later and you can get a tune later too. you'll be really happy you did it and you'll add allot of integrity by adding a new timing set and all the little stuff that will make it last longer and run stronger. Cams are a big thing in the engine and it'll build up everything else you do to it

Back