10'' 90-94 Dana 44 Straight Axle Conversion Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10'' 90-94 Dana 44 Straight Axle Conversion Kit

Nate

Reaction score
City, State
From Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
10'' 91-94 Dana 44 Straight Axle Conversion Kit
I've been seeing a lot of ?'s about Fabtech, but maybe what some of you are recalling is the Kit made by Fabritech. I can't find a web site fort them, but they sell through Tom's Bronco Graveyard, and National Tire & Wheel. Links below:

http://www.NatlTire.com/pages/conversion.html

Dead Link Removed

I've been drooling over this kit for a little while now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found Mfg Website

I've finally found the website for Fabritech! A friend of mine has installed this on his F-150 and it looks great!

Go to:

htpp://www.SetStr8.com

Click on "Straight Axle Conversions" in the left-hand window.

Click on "Ranger/Mini Conversion" at the bottom of the main window.

Here is the direct link to the page without frames:
http://www.setstr8.com/rangerconv.htm

I haven't yet got the $ to do this myself, so I hope that someone else can step up in the meantime.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They're sure proud of that thing! Too cha-chingy for me.

Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a donor vehicle or just put with the Dana 35 TTB...

OMFG!

The BRACKETS alone are 1700 bux!!!!

WOW

Maybe I'll make few extra brackets when I do mine this summer.

I got my Dana 44 from them. Completely rebuilt with 4.88 gear ratio and a ARB locker and a chrome diff cover. I found this on a sale price and it cost me about $2000. I've had mine for about 10 months now and it still sittin in the shed.

They are VERY proud of that kit. Heck I bet with a few peices of scrap metal you could have it done by a pro for less then that. Plus not have to lift it 10"!!!! Who would want to lift it THAT high?!?!? Cut the dang fenders!!! Keep your COG low and get big tires with major cutting and you will do MUCH better off-road.

Fender Trimming

rpenner54,

How many inches can you trim on a four door? Just curious. Also, my friend's F-150 is lifted 10" and does have a higher center of Balance, but the track width, rim to rim, is much wider, so the COB does not raise as much as it would if the tires remained stock.

I'm moving to VA next Summer, and will be a couple of miles from Fabritech. I've got the okay from my lady to have them lift it when we get there.

Un-bolt the fenders and you can see just how much you can cut out. The problem with this lift is you pay out the ass for it and don't get hardly anything worth the dolllars. I guess if you can't find a shop with good fab skills then it would be a good option but when your paying that much you might as well find a shop that knows what they are doing and get it done right the first time. I guess I am a BIG beliver in minimal lift with big tires, much better on the rocks that way.

Originally posted by Fenderguy
AMEN Ryan. Just get glass fenders and trim the rear and be done with it.
My 4" lift with 35s will go more places than any explorer or ranger with that lift!

Yep if I could do it over I would've got the fender first and not even really worried about a lift untill I maxed myself out with those. Instead I have a 5.5" lift that can get really unstable at times just because of the height.

Off the top of your head, does anyone know how much fab'ing the same lift should run?

How much can you trim in the rear?

Thanx

Originally posted by Nate
Off the top of your head, does anyone know how much fab'ing the same lift should run?

How much can you trim in the rear?

Thanx

Well if you can find the parts off of a 78-79 Bronco the only thing you should have to fab up is the track bar and cutting down the front axle to the right size. Shoot I bet you could get away with $200 or so in materials alone. The time would take longer due to the axle cutting but its doable.

Originally posted by rpenner54

Well if you can find the parts off of a 78-79 Bronco the only thing you should have to fab up is the track bar and cutting down the front axle to the right size. Shoot I bet you could get away with $200 or so in materials alone. The time would take longer due to the axle cutting but its doable.

Is the 78-79 Bronco Axle a bolt-on? Is there a place where I can go to see the details on this? I wonder how much wider the Bronco Axle is. Maybe it is doable as-is? This is intriguing to me because it sounds to be Thou$and$ cheaper than than Fabritech's.

1978-79 broncos are full size. The axles would be way wider then your explorer axle. Plus it's not a bolt on kit. it's a donor truck that you would have to put a lot of work into just to get it under your truck.

Here's a thought, buy a 1979 bronco. Then put your expo body on it's frame, then you would have the dana 44, 5.8L and a mp305 transfercase.

Originally posted by Oknut
...Here's a thought, buy a 1979 bronco. Then put your expo body on it's frame, then you would have the dana 44, 5.8L and a mp305 transfercase.

Does anyone know of someone who has done this? Is This frame swap a bolt-on? Essentailly, I'm trying to get the most improvement for the least co$t. Sometimes simple things turn out to be monsters with price over-runs.

Does anyone know what the flange-to-flange dimensions on the '78-'79 Bronco Axle are for both the front and rear?

Thanx for your inpuy guys, and the range of ideas.

Nate,

I don't think anyone has ever done this swap before. You would be the first one.. What's cool about the bronco is that you can put a 460 straight into it...The 1979 bronco is actually voted one of the top ten offroad rigs ever.

You were asking if it's bolt on.. I wouldn't think so. would have to make some brackets and some other mods.. but would be way easier then swapping axles and making drivlines and the whole nine yards. but your truck wouldn't be an explorer after that it would be a cool bronco.. I think that project is something you should be able to do one night or weekend.

Oknut,

I noted that you live in Sequim, WA. Isn't James Duff right there in your neighborhood? It sounds like a neat idea, but maybe we can coax you into this?...

Also, by some miracle, would you happen to know a guy in Sequim named Steve Wasankari who was a Marine? I was in the Gulf and Somalia with him.

Thanks for the idea, maybe I'll bug James Duff with this idea and see how goes.

Nate,

James duff's main office is here in Sequim. You should call them and I bet they would tell you my idea is a good idea. .

All I can say is that this swap would be lots cheaper then swapping everything over onto the explorer, trust me I know.

I don't know Steve very well.

Take care,
Knut

Back