125 hp boost times? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

125 hp boost times?

well heres the question? i ran a 125 ahot on my explorer tonight at the track and got a 9.69 in the 1/8, but the clock times were messed up and they had to go threw times to find yours. but i raced a mustang that runs consistly mid 8's and he beat me by about a car and a half conservitivly. I dont understand it. the other thing is i ran again and i upped the jet from a 59 nitrous to a 63 nitrous and ran a slower time of 10.03, i almost died. what can be wrong, i run a 33 fuel jet and thing that maybe its not enough fuel or something. im really confused can someone suggest anything to help, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First things first,
How was the truck running? Any strange smells, noises, etc? Let's first determine if it was running properly. How did it feel? And in what gears and RPM ranges are you hitting the nitrous? Also, do you have a time for the truck running w/o the nitrous? That would really help.

I'm sorry, but I'm away from home and don't have much computer time. Please post any insight into the matter and I'll help when I get home in a few days.

it seems like i had a broken fuel solenoid, im sending it out to get fixed, what would happen if i shot a 63 jet of nitrous in without any fuel, i read thsat you did it once and it just went threw the engine melting a plug, no it seems to be running slower then ever on motor. the oil smell in the vents is still there, but no leak on back of the valve covers that i can feel, the powerstreering pump is leaking, can that be it. i once ran it and it was a 10.8 but and the nitrous was a 9.69. i also have the shot shooting behind the throttle body unllike yours, tell me what you think, i hit the nos at 2500 in first all the way to the end. thanks

Check the compresion on each cylinder. If they are all about the same the piston rings are still intact. You can buy a compression checker at any local auto parts store.

Juicy...

What's the big threat with launching with NOS? Does it really put alot more strain on the engine? Don't you want instant power and to follow all the way through? Just a thought.

125 hp boost on a motor that only puts out 160 seems like it would really stress out the engine.

what would be some signs of bad rings
or bad compression

I heard that you shouold always wait till 3000 RPM to shoot - You engine needs to be tensed up when you shoot - if its near idle it will cause problems - HIt it early will cause problems from what I hear - I am new to Nitrous myself - just used it today for the first time really

NA meetings?

Nitrous Anonymous??? Yeah, I am hitting the bottle way to hard lately. I usually never hit it from start but I tried the other day when a GT pulled beside me. I have AT's on my truck and when I hit that M*&$r, i heard the deepest sounds screech ever from my tires. The guy in the GT's jaw dropped when he saw a mountaineer take his ass. Not to mention, AWD. Makes ya feel all tingly inside, doesn't it.

I recommend NOT using it from the getco, cause it will get addictive, beleive me, and it really isn't good for the engine.... at all.

Some symtoms are white smoke from the exhaust or if you pull the oil dipstick and you can feel compression leaking into the crankcase. You will have a loss of power and maybe a melted spark plug. Make sure you check for major problems before you spray again.

Not only does hitting nitrous early stress the engine, but it also beats the heck out of the tranny and torque converter. I usually spray from 3500 to 4500 in first, 2500+ in other gears, and not during shifts.

Explorer4, you need a full engine checkup dude. It can be plugs, gaskets, piston rings, etc. Nitrous can be dangerous to you and the truck, be careful.

yeah thanks alec but get this, my truckj is running fine now with no smells or noises, i havnt checked a plug yet i ve been too busy, but everything seems to be fine, could an engine still run exactly, i mean 100% the same if something had goine wrong, because i raced my friend because i thought it was feeling slow and i beat him like i always do, on motor that is, so if anything wrong

It may be a problem that fixed itself and can resurface later. My bad plug was actually fine for about a week before it totally crapped out and I had to limp on 5 holes. A bad gasket or seal can be 'fixed' only to return with a vengeance.

I'd go with the safe road and get everything checked out. Also, sometimes your computer can store codes without the CEL on. Good luck!

Back