17" rim vs. 15" rim with 35" tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17" rim vs. 15" rim with 35" tires?

Ok - I have searched....13 pages deep of search results with no real answer.

I'm moving up to 35" tires, and have to get new rims anyway. I have a buddy with a Jeep who thinks that 17" rims would be much better instead of the standard 15" everyone seems to run. Not only better road performance, but he thinks airing down on 17's means you won't lose as much clearance as airing down on 15's causes.

Thoughts? It makes sense to me. Does anyone see any pros and cons with running 17's instead of 15's?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well not exactly sure about the technical aspects of the differences b/w the sizes of 15" and 17", however if you decide on the 17" wheels you will spend a lot more on tires and you might be limited on some tires choice (not positive though). Good luck

Priced 17" wheels or R17 tires lately? :D

Seriously, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Robb said:
Priced 17" wheels or R17 tires lately? :D

Seriously, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Right - 17's are more expensive....but hey figured NOW is the time to research. It's way more expensive if I decide to get the 17s AFTER I first buy the 15s, right? :D

17s are more expensive, and weigh more per the same material type....
less tire sizes are available... unless you want bling or have soem big brakes, 15s are probably a better choice... a 15" rockcrawler is $40 for a new one if you destroy it, and a steel rim can be bent back into shape most times......

i guess what i ment was that tires will be more expensive for a 17" wheel. for example if you went with 35" BFG M/T's
35x12.50R15 = $166.99/tire
35x12.50R17 = $226.99/tire
Just from reading my ORA magazine, seems true for many tires. But just my observation.

I also agree that if you dont want anything fancy go with a 15" steel wheel. Cheap and can be fixed from damage on some occasions.

I dont think that any of this answers your original question :confused:

But thinking back on this, if I had a lot of money and wanted 17" wheels really bad then I'd got with 17x8 AR Mojave Teflons. Maybe that is what you should do despite everything else.

Actually, I'm looking at 17x9 with 35x12.5x17 Interco SS Trxus MT's on eagle 17x9 187's.....so....I guess I don't give a s@!+ about the $$$ at this point..... I'm guessing I'm looking at $1500 for rims and tires.

I really was just looking for any pros and cons of 35's on 15" rims vs 35's on 17" rims.....other than price....I know it won't be cheap - but I can find out that information online....its the tech help here I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I had a bad time with the TrXus M/Ts! Poorly made! I had excessive run out on 5 out of 6 tires. Wanted the equivelent to 2 pounds of weight on one side of the tire to balance it out. Just be careful when you buy these. You have been warned! ha. Good luck. Pictures!!

-Drew

Repairs for 15's would be cheaper, and quicker to replace. 17's would handle on road much much better.
Check the actual wheel and tire weights though. The larger weight really kills acceleration, braking, and gas mileage. If you rarely drive on road, the 15's would be an easy choice. If you drive on road a lot, then 17's might be good for you. LOL,
DonW

Tech wise: I would guess that you would see SLIGHTLY better onroad performance, and aired-down the same, you SHOULD see close to 1" of increased overall clearance. And I guess if you like the look of bigger wheels, that is an advantage.

But still, I can't see either improvement as being worth the extra cost, and I personally like the look of extra tire. Also remember, outside of installment cost, the cost of spares and replacements.

Buckshot said:
so....I guess I don't give a s@!+ about the $$$

I really was just looking for any pros and cons of 35's on 15" rims vs 35's on 17" rims.....other than price....I know it won't be cheap - but I can find out that information online....its the tech help here I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Sorry, didnt mean to make you so angry, just tryin to help. Didint realize I couldnt do that on this site

big351bronc said:
Sorry, didnt mean to make you so angry, just tryin to help. Didint realize I couldnt do that on this site

LOL - not angry at all - sorry if it came off that way..... I was being sarcastic at the cost of the super swampers since my wife keeps telling me they cost too much already!

Seriously though - thanks for trying to help.

you got it.

(im just not too technical yet, but trying to get there)

good luck and post some pics when its done

I would say if your going to do major off-roading go with the 15 so you have more sidewall on the tire to flex and grab with. If it's going to be a highway 4by or real light off-roading and you want the looks, go with the 17s. Plus like everyone is saying 17s wheels and tires are bank compared to the 15s, and those are exspensive enough. My $.02. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Back