18 Sport smoking again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18 Sport smoking again

Reaction score
City, State
porter corners
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Sport
Good morning, I have a 2018 sport that last year had a white smoking issue after idling. After several checks with a new dealer they were not able to locate anything wrong. After fourth time and showing them video they actually looked at the engine and found the clip on the outside of one of the turbos missing which caused the waste gate to not function. They found this after I had heard this was an issue and had them check. Aside from the $390 bill they gave me for research and installation of a 49 dollar clip they were incapable of really much more than oil changes. So fast forward to last week and again im getting the white smoke after idling more than 15 minutes. I am a private investigator so i have idle time that i try to keep down but is necessary. I have sent info to Ford when this originally occurred trying to get some of my money back but never heard anything. Im not a mechanic on vehicles but generally like to do my own if possible and time permits. So to the question is has anyone found this issue on there explorers and actually had any luck with Ford. I have tried to find out if there are any bulletins etc and cant seem to locate any but this seems to be a problem that others are having when i look on other newsgroups etc. Any help or ideas would be helpful as I still cant seem to figure out why a clip would fall of to begin with and thoughts on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

It ha been suggested in other threads that it may be caused by condensation build up in the intercooler. When you start diving it forces more air flow through it and the extra moisture is picked up and sent through he engine and is seen as smoke/steam out the tailpipe.

Can you replicate it by idling for the 15-20 minutes then accelerating to see if you get the same results?

Does the "smoke" have an odor like raw fuel, burning oil, sweet smell of coolant?

I can replicate it usually nd it has an odor but not of burning oil, or coolant. The smell isnt anything i have recognized before but i know its smoking just by smelling it and if i look in my sideview i can see the smoke.

Back