1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1960 Dodge Dart Seneca Project

dart_seneca.jpg
1960-dodge.jpg
Here is a pic of the dash from the same model:
IMG_1124.jpg

The brown car in the attached photo is the actual car I bought. The green car is what they looked like new.

It's a beast that's for sure! I really like the front bumper and the dash on this model. If I decide to keep her my plan is to drop in a ridiculously powerful BB Mopar and have a hell of sleeper on the street:D When I say ridicoulously powerful I'm thinking along the lines of 750 - 1000hp on pump gas:burnout: A turbo motor isn't out of the question.

I'm hoping that buying the car will be more motiviation for me to build a detached garage to store our current rides. I will need the whole attached garage for the restoration on the "new" Dart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Turdle Is there a heat reflective powdercoat or is the reflective stuff a different process?
I know ceramic coating is supposed to be reflective. Let me check on something shot dry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ceramic coating of some sort. Cerakote has a color r wheel, I clicked silver and got lots of choices.

Goes on wet, like paint. Some air cure, some need heat( oven )

I checked my local powder coat place and their website says they are "Cerakote certified". Hopefully they will have some samples.

I'd love ve to powdercoat it for you. I know I could make it look reflective.

If it is aluminum though, polishing would be real good, I can't think anything would really reflect much better than that.

What if that cleaner housing was constructed of less " conductive" material?

I bet ABS , or similar, would deliver cooler air.

View attachment 432916View attachment 432917

New plan. I'm ditching the VW air filter because the sidewalls of the air pan meets up with the hood insulation perfectly. I will keep the hole in the firewall open and use the two round filters that I have been using all along. The reason for that is to filter out any fiberglass that could be pulled out of the insulation. I'm going to see if I can find a

I think I am going to put a stainless steel mesh screen, something with like 1/4" holes in the opening in the firewall for appearance I will also have the air pan coated with a heat reflective powder.

View attachment 432919View attachment 432921

How solid is that mounted between the engine and firewall?

I assume you allowed for engine torque movement and vibration - just can't tell from the pictures.

how does that work when the engine shakes in its mounts? The seal between airbox and firewall is flexible? is there a seal?

just curious, in the pics it looks like you left them disconnected so the engine can move around a little but hard to tell

A top on the "turkey pan" would keep engine heat out of it.

no hood scoop needed the cowl area has a swirl of cool air which is why it is used for the fresh air intake of the HVAC system. In this car it is feeding his air filters...cowl induction is superior!!!!!!!!

How solid is that mounted between the engine and firewall?

I assume you allowed for engine torque movement and vibration - just can't tell from the pictures.

No physical connection. I will use rubber Trimlock at the edges and that will be able to move, yet still seal.

I'd love ve to powdercoat it for you. I know I could make it look reflective.

If it is aluminum though, polishing would be real good, I can't think anything would really reflect much better than that.

What if that cleaner housing was constructed of less " conductive" material?

I bet ABS , or similar, would deliver cooler air.

It's mild steel. I would love for you to do the work as well, but I hate to think what shipping would cost. If the Cerakote is as good as they say it shouldn't transmit much heat.

What about putting in a hood scoop directly over the intake filters for fresh cool air?

I want the outside of the car to remain stock.

Stealing a line from the A-Team... "I love it when a plan comes together".

Just got back from a 30 minutes test drive. I opened the hood and heat poured out as usual. The sides of the air pan were hot, the floor was warm, and the chrome lids on the air filters were chilly!!! I will have to do a video with my laser thermometer to show the differences. It didn't take long for the whole mess to get hot from heat soak once the engine was turned off. The heat reflective coating will help with that.

seneca_airbox9.jpg

I added a black aluminum screen in place of the air filter in the firewall. It's coarse so it won't be very restrictive. I finished the edges with Trimlock. All that's left is cleaning up the welds and painting everything. The original firewall cover was black so I am going to paint this one black as well. For the air pan I'm thinking silver with flake in it and then have it pinstriped.

The only thing left to do is to paint the aluminum panel on the firewall black.

coldair.jpg coldair2.jpg

cold_air_finished.jpg

Back