1991 Ford Explorer XLT Manual Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ChuckTruck

Reaction score
City, State
DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT #1 Manual
1991 Ford Explorer XLT Manual

Am a long-time reader of the posts here. Between this website and a few others I was able to keep my 1991 Ford Explorer running. Thanks to all of you who posted valuable tips in keeping these glorious chrome fendered Explorers alive.

He has a long and illustrious history which I have listed on eBay. Pretty easy to find since “Chuck” is the only 1991 Ford Explorer listed. His claim to fame is he was the first manual transmission Ford Explorer ever built. The first. Ever. The original owner worked on the Ford Motor Company of Canada advertising account. The President of the company liked the work this agency was doing, and offered the folks there an employee discount for any car they liked. This guy wanted the not-yet-released Explorer, and he special ordered it as a manual transmission. It took more than three months between the time of his order and the time his Explorer was built. As he heard from the President of the company at the time, whom he got to know fairly well, the wait was so long because Ford was manufacturing automatics first. By the time they got to this guy’s special order, in late June 1990, it took an extra long time to assemble since this was the first manual transmission Explorer they ever made. And seeing it as such, the folks in the plant where this Explorer was assembled used this car as a training tool so their employees could learn how to properly assemble more manual transmission Explorers that were sure to be ordered. When delivered in July 1990, he was promptly given the name “Chuck.” I purchased him from the original owner, a family friend, in 1998. Want someone to purchase this car who will appreciate his significance. Definitely needs some work, will not start (just clicks), at the very least new battery cables. All other issues/quirks are in the listing. Has been sitting since 2016. Still has original paint, shines when washed. And aside from rusted rocker arm panels and dog legs, some rust under the rear hatch, and some rust under the hood, looks physically good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we see the truck for sale on Ebay
no need to make multiple posts

I have a hard time with this claim and the price on this. Do you have documentation on this claim? No doubt your truck is an early build, but the VIN sequence number is over 70,000. The 4.0L and the M5OD was already a drive train option in the ranger. Why would ford need to train anyone on its assembly? Also, the manual was the base explorer trans with the automatic being the step up option, except on the Eddie Bauer model which the manual was special order.

I think a little more proof is in order to support this claim. Its interesting your vehicle has a 6 digit odometer. Those didn't come to be the norm until late in the 94 model year. I think the only exception was vehicles sold in new york state.

I have a hard time with this claim and the price on this. Do you have documentation on this claim? No doubt your truck is an early build, but the VIN sequence number is over 70,000. The 4.0L and the M5OD was already a drive train option in the ranger. Why would ford need to train anyone on its assembly? Also, the manual was the base explorer trans with the automatic being the step up option, except on the Eddie Bauer model which the manual was special order.

I think a little more proof is in order to support this claim. Its interesting your vehicle has a 6 digit odometer. Those didn't come to be the norm until late in the 94 model year. I think the only exception was vehicles sold in new york state.
I agree with a lot of this. With the 6 digit odometer.. I think it’s kilometers not miles. Look at the speedo.

I agree with a lot of this. With the 6 digit odometer.. I think it’s kilometers not miles. Look at the speedo.
Good eye, he did say it was sold new in Canada. I bet it also has daytime running lights then.

Just came across a 1991 eddie bauer 5 speed manual

Back