How to: - 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
fixed a real problem for me cudos to the first post-er

:thumbsup:This thread is an accurate post and awesome; this will be a timeless one for sure as the clackity clack clack of a window that won't go down does nothing but incite anger :mad:.

Still able to get the regulator buttons at autozone $7.99 per kit ( 3 each ), so for $ 32 you got winodws that work. Mine fit in easily after giving a light coat of bearing grease and putting them in at an angle . . . put the first one in then the other two , one end has a different bevel than the other so the more beveled end goes in first.
I didnt pull the dust cover off like above I just cut and "x" in them and resealed with the thin plastic silver "duct tape".

Two other things I almost forgot.
I cleaned out the button debris by placing a few ounces of Kleen Strip, "Prep all" in a coffee can and after placing the big plastic gear and the metal pinon in there and swishing that around, removing them and then using a blast of air from compressor hose with a blast nozzle. That saves a lot of time picking out the grunk from the inside of the gears. Compressed air blows it right out . . . just be sure and use common sense so you don't have to to to the ER to get stuff taken out of your eye ( I used a face sheild, after reading the one post about the guy that almost got his thumb cut off on the front window scissor I didn't take any chances on anything, even taped the windos in the up position). Be sure and blow out the debris from either side of the worm gear as that stuff packs down into the cavity that gear is in and that may be why some guys were having problems with the windows still after replacing the buttons . . .don't know for sure but that is why I made sure and blasted all the debris from the worm gear too.

I put marks on the cover plate denoting the position of the drive gear teeth so that when installing them it made the insertion into the female part of the regulator much easier. The rear windows have cable type regulators and there is a plate on the outboard side of this part that not only accepts the screw end that attaches the motor but also has a hole that the gear shaft end has to line up with and enter. If you can get the motor off the regulaotr without taking that plate off it will have a lot o time and aggravation on the repositioning after you overhaul the gear/button apparatus.

If I figure out how to include pictures I'll add some that aren't in the other threads.
This Web Site rocks :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OH wow, nice writeup, I wonder if thats why my windows dont work

I took one of mine apart , the motor ... I never did get the brushes back in.. I gave up, I decided it took a special tool that i didn't have.. I got lucky and a friend gave me all 4 motors out a wrecked sploder he had.. I have all my windows working perfect and 3 extra motors on stand by

This thread is very useful by combining all the posts one gets a good picture of what to expect. Tackle this job it's worth it.

Just trying to pay back some of the excellent information I've gotten from this forum. :chug:
Thank you Dave! Boy, that was a great help to a lot of us...Ray in PA

windowmotor5.jpg

notice the tiny blue wire i used to hold the motor brushes in to get the motor back together...........

oh yeh in the last pic i used a magnet to hold the bolt on my socket

This is where im stuck at:( lol I left out the springs for the motor brushes, umm the string Idea sounds awsome, can you explain the full trick to me, like after you get everything held down with the string, and you slide the motor back into the housing

windowmotor5.jpg

I got it finished up, I used two screw drivers and some thread, to hold down on the brushes, by twisting the screw drivers.I slide the motor into the housing, right before I poped it all the way into place I untwisted the screw drivers to release the thread/brushs. Cut the threads, pulled them out of the way slowly, then poped the motor fully into the housing and bolted it down:D, thanks for info man

wow

wow, if you got-r-done with screwdrivers, more power to ya. that was a difficult thing to do.

i used that thin ass wire, as thin as i could find. i woulda used fishing line if i could find mine. the tolerance is so tight it has to be thin. it felt like i barely got the brushes in and didnt want to damage them by jamming it all back together.

I usually separate the dust cover from the door by pulling it loose from the bottom and working it toward the top until I have enough clearance to work in that "scuttle hole". Then I tape the dust cover to the top of the window...No rips!....Ray S. in PA

I did this to my 93 this evening. It was VERY easy. 1 down, 2 to go. lol

great post I have been wondering what needed to be done to fix my window. I have the same one that does not work on my 92 thanks.

Some of the fastners were stuck in the door frame. Remove these and put them in the door panel.
Fastners-replace.jpg

do you know if you can buy replacement fasteners for the door panels?

ok thanks
Those ring shank fasteners always need the claw type upholstery removal tool to ensure a good contact around the fastener head area. Screwdrivers and butter knives suck for this job. The tool is too cheap to risk a butcher job. Ray S. in PA

my windows finally work again. awesome write up sirs:salute:

Nice post. Im sure I can use this info coz mine is also clogged up on the left rear side. Thanks.

Just replaced the bushings on my front pass side motor this morning. I found it was much easier to grease the bushings, lay them in the plastic gear, and push the metal drive gear down onto them. Window works perfectly now. This thread really helped me out, so much so that I linked it in another thread.

92 Explorer with RR Window Motor Problem

I have a 92 Explorer that utilizes scissor style regulators in the front and cable style regulators in the rear. My rear passenger window will roll down on its own and will not roll back up. I need help in regards to replacing the motor and how does the cable system work for the rear doors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back