1994 Explorer sport Transmission blues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer sport Transmission blues...

atechbuy

Reaction score
City, State
Sharpsburg, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
1994 Explorer Sport - best vehicle I have ever owned - 378,000miles - original motor and transmission.

Transmission full-flush service about ever 30k

1. About 6 months ago the truck seemed weak/slow getting up to speed - it would take-off fine, but after 2nd gear it seemed to take much longer than normal to hit 55-60 - especially if it was cold out - laying on the gas hard would help, but i didn't want to damage it worse if it was slipping. It would eventually make third and then fall into OD.

2. A few months later, reverse would not engage one morning when it was cold - i put the truck in drive and it also would not engage. I stopped and shiffted from reverse to drive a couple of times and it started to engage in both directions - fluid level was about 1/2 quart low - first time I have ever found the fluid low.

No leaks visible on the ground. Truck has always had the external cooler as well. Drove fine, but still with issues #1 above.

3. A couple of months later - overdrive seemed to get weaker - meaning it would normally stay in overdrive just fine at 35+ MPH even on a moderate uphill grade - now it started to downshift far more than it ever had. It would normally do about 1600rpm @ 55mph.

4. Then overdrive "left the scene" - truck ran fine but would not shift to overdrive even on a flat surface at 55.

5. The next morning(very cold), I took it out to see if I could find the issue - truck would not come out of first gear.

6. A week later - I grabbed my ez-scan and did a few tests:

If I manually shifted the truck to 1rst it did drive in 1rst.
If I manually shifted the truck to 2nd it did drive in 2nd.
If I manually shifted the truck to D it drove in 1rst.
If I manually shifted the truck to [D] it drove in 1rst.

Check oil light was on during warm-up - this cleared on it's own after the tests. Odd....

KOEO is PASSING

KOER has a 536, but that looks to be an operator error with the ez-scan unit - I get it on my 93 explorer as well.

CEL flickers during the WOT test portion - don't know if that is important.

As I was manually shifting through gears, it started shifting normally except for over drive - its running 2000 rpm @ 55mph.

Cruise works, but seems to have an intermittent surge - very slight, but not going uphill.

In the past year - I have seen the speedometer go haywire 4-5 times - once you get past 60, the needle will swing forward to about 75mph to bottom-center of the gauge. If you lift the accelerator a bit it will return to your actual speed - it will eventually stop on its own or if you turn the truck off and restart (Reboot an exploder?)

Any advice would be helpful - maybe its just 378,000 miles catching up to it.

Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, I think its just the 378,000 miles. The speedo is mechanical so there is no electronic problems there. It is magnet driven.

Code 536 means you did not press the brakes when the computer needed it done. It did not see the switch activate.

Cruise probem most likely is vacuum more than anything.

And the tranny, that poor, poor tranny. If you are the first owner of this truck and have put 378,000 miles on an original A4LD, then you are the luckiest Ford owner ever. I have not heard of this tranny lasting more than 130,000 miles without regular maintenance and a light foot. My hat is off to you! :salute:

I would say if the truck is still in good shape, and you like driving it still, rebuild the motor and tranny and even the rear end and keep on truckin. I really think thats what is wrong with your trans. You most likely have worn clutch packs or fluid pressure bleeding off somewhere internally. Check the modulator valve on the side of the trans. It can fail and start leaking fluid into the vacuum line attached to it. Pull the line, if there is fluid change the valve and see what happens. I honestly think its just worn out.

That's amazing, let us know what you find.

Thanx for the advice - I am the original owner - love the truck. I'll let you know what I find.

Im curious to hear what you find with the tranny. Mine went down in the EXACT order that you described here.

Well...

My tranny finally blew up tonight. Made a small "pop" and the torque converter called it quits. Still goes into gear, just doesnt move. :(

I am thinking things that go "pop" are usually bad when associated with the drive train. I'll let you know how I come out.

Back