bill 1

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
1994 Explorer XLT Surging and cutting out

Hi,
I Have a 1994 Explorer XLT 6 cyl. My problem is I go on long trips and I notice about 50 miles while on the freeway the check engine light will come on and shotly after the light comes on the engine will start cutting out as if I have lost all power. The RPM gauge also drops. It hesitates and when you have to accelerate hard (as if to pass someone) it will be ok for a little while and continue. Then when you come to a stop such as a toll booth the Explorer is running really rough and surging as almost someone was behind me pushing me. It gets to the point where you almost turn of the key because people are staring. It seems to be getting worse even in town. The engine light does not come on, but it will idle rough and surge when you have your foot on the brake, when you put it in park it is not as bad. I have had the engine tested and no codes show up. This is like the 4-5th time I have had it tested.I put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter. Everyone says its probably a sensor and I have about 6 sensor ideas that people have told me to try, but they are expensive and I cant afford to just start replacing all the sensors. Can anyone help me please to try and narrow this down to the right sensor?. I have tried everything and do not know where to start. Thanks very much, Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.Hope this works.

How long has it been since you did your plugs and wires...mine was missing pretty bad before i replaced them....also might want to do your fuel filter as well..;)

Well to sum it up i had surging and rough idle and i tried all the routine maintenance, which some of it was needed anyway. I have a 1993 ExplorerXL 4.0L 4x4.

Fuel Filter
New FORD plugs
New Wires
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned IAC
Seafoamed Intake
Seafoamed In gas

This never worked or it helped out a little, but never worked 100%.

What i had to do was change the upper and lower gasket on the plenum and fuel rail = 2 gaskets total and i also replaced the O-rings on the Injectors.

I only just did this 2 days ago.

You can read all about it here (with pictures and a lot on info) to see if this is what is happening to you:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211251

Pretty much what they all said. before you decide to do all the work for replacing the intake gaskets id check everything else mentioned first. I was having the same problem and all it was was a couple unplugged vacuum lines and the IAC. :thumbsup:

Hi again,
I posted a few days ago about my Explorer cutting and surging. I replaced the MAF sensor and had Auto Zone test a couple of other sensors. They finaly got me a code and it was 336. The EGR circut voltage higher or lower than expected. My question is if I replace this EGR sensor will this maybe make the Explorer not cut out and surge? I would really apprecaite any help. I am just about to loose patiance with this thing. I appreaciate everyone who offered sugjestions on my first post. I am hoping this might fix the surging and cutting out. Thanks again, Bill

...you could clean the connector, it may be dirty...:D

Back